• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Bobs yer uncle" Came to my feeble mind one day when showing my Granson how to do something John Crump OldBrit Parker,Co USA

When it was time for bed dad used to carry me on his back up the stairs saying "Up The Wooden Hill To Bedfordshire".
And mine did, over his shoulder he was Cov born and bred and his great grandparents, maybe its a Midland thing. He also said shoot.. fire... bung! Before he did something like going out. My Cov gran used to say hair teetch and medicinal before she went to bed

Hi Grandmaster
I have always known the above as Wench,thats what I used to be called

Cheers Jemina
My mum's Blackcountry grandads and her dad called her mo wench. Nan called grandad my chap when referring to him. I worked with a Dudley lad who called me chap.

My mum's Blackcountry grandads and her dad called her mo wench. Nan called grandad my chap when referring to him. I worked with a Dudley lad who called me chap.
Saw an advert last week, The Wench with the Wrench. It wasn't black country though it was in Herefordshire.

My mother said she was going to have pikelets for tea. We use to sit in front of my nans fire toasting them on a fork. The packet in which they were bought the other day pronounced crumpets. So a round flatish thing with lots of holes in the top to me is a pikelet so what do the rest of you Brummies call them.

I believe it was called a POITELETTE?
TedB

My mother said she was going to have pikelets for tea. We use to sit in front of my nans fire toasting them on a fork. The packet in which they were bought the other day pronounced crumpets. So a round flatish thing with lots of holes in the top to me is a pikelet so what do the rest of you Brummies call them.

We always referred to the ones with holes in as PIKELETS.These were toasted top & bottom, as you say, in front of the fire on a fork worked best. CRUMPETS were more like a breadlike consistency bun, flattened with a soft crust, you had to cut these in half and toast the insides. Both benefitted by loads of butter/marg.........

I bought some what I call pikelets from the Co Op but the label said muffins.
I had some English Muffins in LA a long time ago and they didn't have holes and were smaller.
I like welsh cakes. M&S used to do them.
I also say scone, rhymes with bone, not scone rhyming with con. Had a colleague from Perth he calle them scones rhyming with spoons.

i was watching an episode of come dine with me set in brum and one person guest said i'm so hungry i could eat a scabby horse. i haven't heard that for a long time

To be honest podge, i'd only ever heard it from a couple of guys myself in the building trade. Regards rick

Hi, I've heard about the scabby horse (pronounced 'oss) Can't remember if it was Mom and Dad or my ex who was from the Black Country. Anne

I had to educate these southerners about pikelets as well. They thought they were small fish. Are they?
Reminds me I've got some pikelets in the freezer. Just the thing for tea----dripping with butter.

A Black Country expression 'it's a bit black over Bill's mothers'.

Another one for someone who went a long way round or spent ages explaining something ' he's gone all round the Wrekin'.
Janet
another was "its as black as dicks hatband

One of my father's favourite sayings was "put yer bat on it" - referring to creepy crawlies like woodlice of black beetles, meaning to stamp on it. Although actually born in Upper Landywood, Great Wyrley, he was brought up in Ladywood. And his name for his working boots were 'clodhoppers'.

Maurice

Hi Anne one of my uncles who lived in Westbrom used to say that but i can't tell you what it meant.
Hi Podgery, I always thought that a scabby 'oss was probably the most disgusting thing you could think of to eat, so you had to be pretty hungry to consider it. Anne

Hi,

I remember my mother in law saying 'I could eat a scabby horse between two straw mattresses'
Mind you, a few people have been eating them recently!!

Kind regards

Dave

My mother and grandmother used to say 'never in a month of Sundays' - presumably Sunday was a long day (no playing, no fun, no games, only church), and just recently I found myself saying it too.

"Bobs yer uncle" Came to my feeble mind one day when showing my Granson how to do something John Crump OldBrit Parker,Co USA
Bob's yer uncle and Fanny's a rude word.
I just saw a van in Cumbria for Mountaineering for Ladies called Women who Rock!

One of my father's favourite sayings was "put yer bat on it" - referring to creepy crawlies like woodlice of black beetles, meaning to stamp on it. Although actually born in Upper Landywood, Great Wyrley, he was brought up in Ladywood. And his name for his working boots were 'clodhoppers'.

Maurice
Dad said clodhoppers too. Titfer for hat (tit for tat) gamp or umbergamp for his brolly, gran said passion killers for her bloomers which made my teacher laugh. Nan said of a windy day, it's blowin' round the 'ouses and blowin up me trowsers. She had a riddle too, what goes up a spout down and down a spowt up = an umbrella. If someone was pregnant she would says er's up the spout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back