• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bridge Street West

Forgot to ask: Is the Motor & Cycle factory what is now or was the Lucas building?

Ray

Hi Mike(mikegee)
I cant get my head around these two pictures,i wonder if you can help?
If the first picture shows Burbury St with Joseph Lucas on the right and Bridge St West the road on the left.
As far as i can work out the second picture shows the same corner,but they are different buildings.
Moss.

hi moss...dont know if this is any help but the church you see in the distance on the 2nd pic stands on the corner of bsw and the beginning of villa street...so i am pretty sure they are two different corners..

lyn...

Lyn's right about that. the queen's head definitely stood where it says PH on the map on the corner of BSW and GKS. The other picture must be mislabelled.
Mike

Had relatives who lived in Bridge St West. On a birth certificate, it mentions the address as Bridge Street. Only by looking on the voting lists did I discover the true address.

moss..it is lucas..where did you get it that it was on burbury st corner..the caption say bsw....

lyn..

moss..ive just checked the caption on that pic...it definately says bsw running accross...dated 1964...and i am sure that is the lucas factory so what other st/could it be thats running down... i need to look at a map...

lyn

Thanks Lyn.
It makes sense now.So the mini is in Bridge St West and the other Street is Well Street?
Moss.

thats it moss..i was trying to think of the other street..it must be well st as thats def lucas i would say...if mayfield was online he could confirm this but i think you have got it....

lyn...

Hi there, I am a new member and I am finding my way around, I am looking for information on Bridge Street West, I am doing family research and I have found that my Gt Gt Grandparents lived at 360 Bridge Street West,
His occupation was a publican and beer retailer, The photos that are on here show houses up to no 358 B S W , Would anyone have any idea whether 360 B S W may have been a pub or a house, and if it was a pub, what it may have been called
The family name I am researching is Kirmse
Thanks Lyn

Lyn
I'm not sure as to the years you are considering, but none of the earlier directories seem to list 360 as anything other than a beer retailer, and by 1950 it was dining rooms. The electoral rolls don't seem to list it as a pub, and the 1901 census lists the occupier as a beer retailer and tobacconist . I would have thought that it was probably a licensed shop, certainlya round that period. It is on the north side of the street, the last building before the junction with farm st.
Mike

morning mike....i wonder would you be so kind as to post a map for lyn showing where 360 would have been and i will keep searching pics for her...

lyn...

Thank you for the information The census I was looking at is 1891
the reason why I thought the address may have been a pub is that on the 1901 Census it states that the family lived in Hockley Street the address shows that it is the Jewellers Arms. I am finding this family very fascinating, and the photos youof the areas, are giving me some idea of how they must have lived, its amazing Lyn

hi lynda...so did your rellies run the jewellers arms pub then....as you probably know that pub is still very much up and running...

lyn

Hi Lyn, It appears that Yes My Gt Gt Grandather was on the 1901 census as a public house manager living at 23 Hockly Street, with his family After checking records I found this to be the Jewellers Arms. he was also on 1911 Census at the same address, but dont know how long he would have actually have been there. His Daughter my Gt Grandmother then lived at 74 New John Street with her husband He is also listed as a Manager Licenced Victualler, I am trying to find out if a pub may have been there. Do you think thery would have had a good way of life in those days? I have no information that has been passed down to me, as even my Grandfather and his brother both died in the 1940's All the information I have picked up so far has been through the net.
Lyn

Lyn
No 360 must be the building in red on this 1903 map
mike

bridge_st_west_no_360_c_1903.jpg

hi lyn..how splendid...23 hockley st is indeed the jewellers arms and you are so lucky that like i said that pub is still open...ok onto 74 new john st...can you just confirm that it is new john st and not new john st west....they both run on from each other crossing newtown row....you can then ask for someone to do a kellys directory look up for you to see if there was a pub at that address...hope this is of help to you

lyn

Can’t seem to find a 74 New John St in directories or on electoral roll for the period around then. 74 New John St west, however, was The Vulcan, and in 1912 Daniel Hyam was listed as the occupier.

mike

hi mike..this is why i asked lynda if she could confirm the address as i do know there was the vulcan pub on the corner of hospital st and new john st west...i have a pic of this pub...

lyn

there you go lynda..like i said you only have to ask for help on here...there is always someone only to happy to help you...ok so it was the vulcan pub....would you like me to sort out the pic i have of it..i dont think its a very good one but at least you will have it...

lyn

yes please, This web site is amazing I ony found it by chance yesterday.I did not realise what you all could do, I will have to by you a pint in the jewellers arms, My mum will be so pleased when i tell her this info.
Thank you so much Lynda

hi lynda..funny thing is we have had two forum meet ups at the jewellers this year..the last one was only last saturday....with your familly connection to it this could be a good excuse for another one....lol...ok here is the vulcan...its on the top right of the page...sorry i cant seperate the pics as this is how they came to me but i think there maybe another pic of it somewhere..if i find it i will post it for you...our dad said he spent many an hour in this pub....

lyn

hi lynda... it looks like ive led you up the garden path...that pic is not of the vulcan..its of the st georges tavern so i must ammend the caption...many apologies for that and i will try to find a pic of it for you...

lyn

Last edited:
Back