• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bridge Street West

Thanks Mabz. No wonder I couldn't place the one showing the No. 8 bus - if this is about to cross Wheelers Street I can only ever recall Holte School and Lozells School being there. I had no idea Gerrard Street crossed Wheelers Street like that.

The second one, would that be the Gunmakers Arms?

Jules

jules i think gerrard st ran right across wheeler st stopping at alma. st..will double check that too....

lyn

Thanks Mabz. No wonder I couldn't place the one showing the No. 8 bus - if this is about to cross Wheelers Street I can only ever recall Holte School and Lozells School being there. I had no idea Gerrard Street crossed Wheelers Street like that.

The second one, would that be the Gunmakers Arms?

Jules

Jules - Gerrard Street went from Burbury Street all the way through to Alma Street Aston. I know because after we left Defford Road to live in Burlington Street Aston, I was forever spending by bus fair and had to walk home from school.........

mike...can you touch up pics 1 and 4 please before i transfer them...

sorry to be a pain....

lyn

Thanks for that Mabz and Lyn. How about the second picture Lyn, does it show the Gunmakers Arms? I don't think its the Union and wasn't the Waterloo in Wills Street. The Gunmakers looks so different now with all the old houses gone. I wonder why they left it when they tore everything else down - is it listed?

Thanks for that Mabz and Lyn. How about the second picture Lyn, does it show the Gunmakers Arms? I don't think its the Union and wasn't the Waterloo in Wills Street. The Gunmakers looks so different now with all the old houses gone. I wonder why they left it when they tore everything else down - is it listed?

Jules - Lyn will know as she has had her ticket from all the pubs around there.............

hi jules its deffinately the gunmakers..heres a recent pic of it..now this is where i come unstuck...again...lol follow down from the gunmakers...just by the orange beacon is another pub on the corner...ive zoomed in and i think its the something inn...or could it be the union pub..

no jules i dont that other poub you see is the union..if i remember the union comes before the gunmakers....

lyn

Hi Lyn, you beat me to it. Yes the pub by the orange beacon is not the Union. As you say the Union comes first, then the Gunmakers and then ? It definately looks like a pub. If you look at the first picture in that group you can see it a little more clearly.

I've looked again - do you think it could be the Belle View? Don't know if ever such a pub existed on Gerrard Street but the first word on the pub sign looks like Belle to me.

jules..yep its the belle vue...now was that on the corner of wheeler st maybe....we need astonian to log on...bet he would know...or we need a kellys look up...

lyn

jules it is the belle vue..so now we know for sure that its wheeler st running accross..just checked my pub pics and i have it....

lyn

it is mabz...and the other shot is looking down brougham towards nursery road...note the same dog in both pics....

Hi again Lyn. The 2nd photo of Brougham Street looking down towards Nursery Road. You can see a block of flats quiet clearly. My memory may be playing tricks with me but I cannot recall it being like that. Did Brougham Street cross Nursery Road and carry on further down nearer to the flats?

jules it is the belle vue..so now we know for sure that its wheeler st running accross..just checked my pub pics and i have it....

lyn

Thats great Lyn thanks. I must have been very young when they knocked it all down. My parents lived in Wheelers Street when they were first married in 1945.

hi jules the block of flats on the left of the pic is right...are you on about what looks like flats on the right of the pic...if so i thinks its a trick of the camera....brougham st finished at nursery road...

so glad you you like the pic s..i reckon they are great..ive just taken yet another trip down memory lane....cheers ray.

lyn

Just found another for you Gerrard St folks yom getin al excited.

I don't think I've got anymore from B18/B19/20

Goodnight folks ray

excited ray..i cant get me hat on..lol..this one is looking the other way...wheeler street running accross and the belle vue pub on the right corner....

amazing...thank you once again....and goodnight for now..

lyn

Thanks so much for those pic's

I have the same family who were are 139, bridge street west and 248, wheeler Street
so a great thanks

any Barr street, Boulton Road, or Newcombe Road??

please?

hi..another one of bsw...i wonder can anyone confirm that the building we see on the right of the pic is lucas....think it is as bsw ran accross gt king st...

lyn

If thats Burbury St on the left of the building then the building is the corner of M block GKS

Hi,

Could you tell me whereabout 313 Bridge St West was please? (nan lived at 1 back of 313 in 1910)

Ray

Ray
It was on the north side between Burbery St and wells St. will try and work out which house later.
Mike

Mike, thanks.

Looked at the bits of map I have. The part missing is the corner of Wells Street and Bridge St West. My part map goes to 304 (coming up from Wheeler St. On the opposite corner is Motor Cycle Works.

Ray

Ray
the numbering doesn't seem exactly to fit the number of buildings, in both the 1890 and 1913 maps (which are almost identical). however i am pretty sure no 313 was one of the two buildings marked in red on the attached 1913 map
mike

map_c_1913_showing_no_313_bridge_st_west.jpg

Mike, thanks again.

Nan gave that address on 1910 marriage certificate. My map is later than the one you posted so it looks like 313 was demolished to make way for Motor & Cycle Accessory Works.

Ray

Back