• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridge Street West

Lovely pictures lyn . Another one i have come across.
Image155.jpg

hi rob..thats what the caption says but i cant be sure..thats deffinately the lucas factory on the right though...

lyn

hi rob..thats what the caption says but i cant be sure..thats deffinately the lucas factory on the right though...

lyn

It was the location of the block of flats - Hertford House (now demolished) - that made me think it was Well St not Gt King St. (And as a lad I used to ride my three wheeler bike round the Lucas factory - their slab pavements made a better sound than the bricks everywhere else!)

happy days ehh rob...well you may well be right then as you know that part better than i do...i lived a tad further up in villa st..was hertford house that one on the corner of unett and well st or am i was off track..

lyn

I can't claim to know the area , but looking at the 1950s map below, the only way I can see to have the Lucas factory on the right, with old houses coming down to a point opposite would be to be looking as the arrow , with it being the junction of Gt King St & Burbury St. don't know about the flats. I may well be wrong though
Mike

map_c_1955_junc_BSW_with_Well_St___Gt_King_St_for_photo_site.jpg

Before anyone comments. I;ve just realised there is another, looking to the west from by the Star Inn
Mike

lol mike wheres me sat nav...ive always found the design of the lucas factory most unusual...bit off thread but here is a pic of it..if you walked under the clock bridge im pretty certain it would bring you out into farm st..i think thats bridge st west running accross im trying to see what the name of that pub is on the left...will never understand why it was demolished...great building...

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Before anyone comments. I;ve just realised there is another, looking to the west from by the Star Inn
Mike
Yes Mike, I am sure the picture was taken from the doorway of the Star Inn.
These are all great pictures and bring back many childhood memories of this area.
Rob

hi carolina..i have these two pics which i think would be classed as terraces but im afraid it would be very difficult to prove the name of them..

lyn

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
lol stars i got confused then..didnt know what you were on about until i went back on old posts...understand now and i will just go and lie down in a dark room for an hour lol..

lyn

its a pleasure carolina..im just sorry we cant put a name to them...will post if i find anything...

lyn

It would be interesting to find out the location lyn. Might even have had rellies who worked there but will never know now unfortunately.

This photograph shows the staff of the Mills Munitions Factory in Bridge Street West, Newtown, Birmingham, which supplied the 'Mills Bomb' hand grenade to the British and Allied armies throughout the

Back