• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridge Street West

Nice pictures, Wales & so clear. There is even a picture of a bath hanging on the wall of one house! What a lot of work it must have been to heat the water, carry it to the bath in front of the fire, bath the family, get them dry & empty the bath. I can remember my mother doing this in Bordesley Green in the 50s.

i too can remember the old tin bath in front of the fire down my nans in paddington st. glad you like the pics.

wales.

Hi Wales - great photos. Thank you so much for posting them. Am very interested in this road as I think it was demolished before I was born and it is great to see it. On the last picture, the one showing the Queens Head at the corner of Burbury Street and Bridge St West you can see a church spire in the distance. Do you know which church this would be?

Jules

hi jules. hope you are well. the church was on the opposite corner of farm st school and i think it was called st mathias church... i will try and confirm that for you.

wales.

Hi Wales
Have just joined "Birmingham Forum"and came across your pictures of Bridge St.West,which brought back fond memories.I was demobed from the navy in 1960 and B'ham Council gave me a house in Richmond Place (an open close with small front gardens leading off B.S.W. towards the Icknield St.end ) Opposite Richmond Place was an Atkinsons pub but I can't remember the name.It was a typical Brummie back to back house but the neighbours and atmosphere of the place was good.I moved up to Scotland many years ago but still like to keep up with my "roots" in Brum,mainly Kingstanding,Hockley and Winson Green.
Regards
R.Malvern

hi R MALVERN and welcome to the site. you will certainly be able to keep up with your roots here and please just ask if you need any help. i myself was born in aston then moved to villa st hockley where i spent my childhood. so glad you liked the pics and if i come across any more i will post them. sorry if i may confuse you here but i have now changed my user name from wales to astoness.

cheers

astoness

Good one, Astoness! My paternal grandfather lived in Ventnor Road from 1908 until his death in 1946.

Enter Bridge Street West in 'Place of death' on www.swanshurst.org/barra and it will give you some idea of the large number of deaths in the bombing of that street. It also gives the addresses of those killed and may help those researchers in finding which parts of the street were affected. Try the site in a couple days as it is not working today - I think it is something to do with it being a school site.

Junie

heres another new pic...dated 1964

astoness

courtesy of carl chinn birm lives.

corner of bsw and ventnor road also 1964.

courtsey of carl chinn birm lives...

Hi Wales - great photos. Thank you so much for posting them. Am very interested in this road as I think it was demolished before I was born and it is great to see it. On the last picture, the one showing the Queens Head at the corner of Burbury Street and Bridge St West you can see a church spire in the distance. Do you know which church this would be?

Jules
Hi Jules,
Re Bridge St West. Only just seen your question about the church in the distance. (Photo taken from the corner of Bridge St West and Burbury St) I'm fairly certain it's St Saviours as I lived next door to it in a yard of ten houses called "Cottage Row" ( Born 1946 at No 3 and left when I was 8 years old in 1954 )
Trevor Bow

Wonderful pictures, Astoness.
The first picture on post #18 looks a lot like the houses along Frankfort street at that time (the next street over). I was only a young lad when we lived on that street, but that picture brought back a flood of memories. Do you remember Frankfort street?
Kevin

hi kevin...yes i just about remember it...i moved a tad over from that side to villa st when i was five but nan still lived in paddington st until demolistion...so i still have memories of the streets round there...if you google carl chinn birmingham lives and then type in bridge street west in the search box you will find lots more pics that i have not put on....think i may have one or two pics of frankfort st...will hunt them out and post them for you.....

astoness

hi all....i was out snapping the other day and thought you may like to see the only original buildings left of bsw.....

this is taken on the corner of bridge st west and hospital st....

lyn

this one i do like as it shows the orginal street signs on the corner of bsw and hospital st

Back