• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bridge Street West

yes i agree photo taken back of no 105 leading to court 9

think this is the same 1950 map that john has posted

bridge st west 1950 no 105.jpg

hi folks. i thought i would put a few pics of bridge st west on for anyone who may have lived there. it ran at the back of my old school farm st. wales

View attachment 112177
Replacement image - may vary from original. This image is dated Sept 1964
We lived in bridge St West from 1959 to about 1966 I can't remember the number I know it was something something backa something!! There was a shop on the corner of summer Lane and bsw and we lived about 6 houses up from the shop opposite the police station. My dad was friendly with the police there and used to go over and play snooker with them and they would come and knock the door when they ran out of tea and sugar! I went to cowper St school they were happy days we used to go up the back in the wash house and do sing songs. And my poor mom getting that tin bath out in front of the fire and then the nit comb over the newspaper every Sunday checking we hadn't picked up any unwelcome visitors!!

We lived in bridge St West from 1959 to about 1966 I can't remember the number I know it was something something backa something!! There was a shop on the corner of summer Lane and bsw and we lived about 6 houses up from the shop opposite the police station. My dad was friendly with the police there and used to go over and play snooker with them and they would come and knock the door when they ran out of tea and sugar! I went to cowper St school they were happy days we used to go up the back in the wash house and do sing songs. And my poor mom getting that tin bath out in front of the fire and then the nit comb over the newspaper every Sunday checking we hadn't picked up any unwelcome visitors!!
great memories Lkr all except for the nit comb...how well i remember that ritual every so often :rolleyes:

lyn

I found this photograph recently, labeled The Wellington - Bridge Street West. However I can't find any reference to it. It is actually Bridge Street West, or elsewhere? If it is Bridge Street West which corner was it on?

Attachments

• Bridge Street West - The Wellingon - 1965.jpg
    Bridge Street West - The Wellingon - 1965.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 13
I found this photograph recently, labeled The Wellington - Bridge Street West. However I can't find any reference to it. It is actually Bridge Street West, or elsewhere? If it is Bridge Street West which corner was it on?
No. 346, Corner of Bridge Street West and Wellesley Street

Attachments

• bridge-st-west-the-wellington.jpg
    bridge-st-west-the-wellington.jpg
    913.7 KB · Views: 11
Possibly no. 346 Bridge St West, which was on the corner with Wellesley St and so would make sense.

Francis and Hilda Tedd are listed at The Wellington Inn, Bridge St West on the 1939 register but I can't see the number.
Must have posted within 10 seconds of each other Mark.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The Wellington pub was my dad's local until our family moved to Northfield in 1954 - I was 8 at the time. It was on the corner of BSW and Wellesley Street and we lived at No 3 'Cottage Row' further up towards Villa St. It comprised of 10 houses and was next to St Saviours Church where myself and two siblings were Christened. We all went to Burbury St Junior Infant School which was about 100 yards down from Wellesley St, and it also had an entrance at the back in Farm St. Re the landlord of The Wellington, he used to be an actor apparently and very sadly, he gassed himself while his wife was out for the day.

The shop on the opposite corner of Gt Russell St & Bridge St West was run by Mrs Savoury(spelling)
She kept a parrot on the counter and when anyone went into the shop,the parrot would shout" SHOP."
Moss.
That was my nans shop.

Back