• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

Another from the brush of Everitt showing Farm House in Sparkbrook. No idea what has happened to the place now, but the Google shot doesn't seem to hold out much hope of survival...

View attachment 80990 View attachment 80991

This house was the formaer home of Sampson Lloyd II, founder of Lloyds Bank. Dennis kindly emailed to me his scan of the page in a catalogue from Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery which, as I was visiting Lloyds TSB Archives, I took into them last week. They were very interest to see it. Lloyds Bank will be 250 years old in 2015 and it is hoped that much of the celebration will record the founding of the bank in Birmingham in 1765

This ALBERT SHAW oil on canvas Birmingham street scene with St Phillips cathedral in the distance, was painted in 1901. I think it might be based on an earlier plate or drawing of New Street showing the (very) old post office on the right. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354918534.876733.jpg

Post #104, The painting is looking north at about Lower Mill Lane I think...where the cows are coming from. There is a Phylis Nicklin photo of this showing the building with the writing on the corner At least I believe this is right; have not looked at it for a while. The accompanying photo is looking south with the Old Crown in view.

There is a picture of the bridged building over Moat Lane at St. Martins Lane...looking north towards the Church...somewhere.
Love the New St. picture new on here I think. Very old and looks about right. I think that other side of the building on the left in this painting can be seen on the Lines picture from St Phillips tower

The painting on post #111 is the oposite side of the street from the Theatre Royal...if it was there at the time. If you look at the Lines painting you can see the gates from the other side and there is an even better earlier sketch of the gates viewed by two men on one of the roofs in the background. The gates are positioned where the opening into Bennets Hill would be...right there in that spot. The sketch also shows Portugal House before it became a hotel...no right wing. Will try and post pictures tomorrow.
I believe that one of the houses on the #111 picture was the post office of the time. Probably the one on the left because later it would be that corner of Bennets Hill I think...for a while. The regular front door to the house was the PO entrance and only a couple of people could enter at a time. Others had to form a queue outside...probably where we all learned to queue up nicely.

Attachments

• 407591.jpg
    407591.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 43
Here's a colour etching I've not come across before. It's " Old Worcester Street" by Joseph Frank Pimm, (b.1900, d.1972), lived in Woodstock Road, Handsworth, studied at the Birmingham School of Art in Margaret Street and exhibited at the R.A. The view shows the Hippodrome in the distance, Wormingtons (shipping agents?) to the right and (......poard) Vaults to the left. A little group of flower sellers (?) is in the foreground. The etching is, surprisingly, dated c.1960.

Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359231293.091009.jpg

Vivienne, 1960 is probably the date he painted it, but it certainly depicts a much earlier period indicated by flower sellers dress and lack of traffic and old street lamp. I have painted numerous paintings of old Birmingham over the last 30 years but always sign then with the year I painted them, not the date they depict. I have attached a painting which I signed 'eric cook '98 (the year I actually painted it)Wet Sunday in the Bulrling.JPG but it depicts the Bulling of the 1950's Eric

Last edited:
Eric, is that an oil painting and is it for sale? I have seen a photo on here of that same view but with policemen in the scene on a mistier day. Would that the same view were available today but I suppose that everything moves on.

Yes thanks Eric, the Pimm painting certainly seems to depict an earlier age. It doesn't matter to the viewer whether it's actually correct as we can enjoy it for itself. But it did cross my mind as to how factually correct it could be.

That's a lovely scene you've painted of St. Martin's Eric, very much as I remember it. You capture reflection superbly. Your rainy day scenes are a pleasure! Viv.

Echo Vivs remarks and the trees around St. Martins made all the difference. Would have walked down to catch the Midland Red or Stratford Blue on just such a day, many times back then. Rainy sundays.

Rupert (post 118), No Rupert, it is a watercolour, I had tuition in Oils but changed to Watercolours many years ago, now my preferred medium. That particular painting was exhibited and sold at the RBSA gallery in 1998, local scenes, particularly canal scenes, are very popular. I have sold paintings I later regretted, this is one of them because it reminds me of many happy jaunts into the City in the 50's. Eric

Vivienne, some painters do take 'artists licence' occassionally, have been guilty myself to achieve an effect, but in a known scene/subject I like to be as accurate as I can - there will always be some one who spots errors and gleefully points them out ! Eric

Here's a colour etching I've not come across before. It's " Old Worcester Street" by Joseph Frank Pimm, (b.1900, d.1972), lived in Woodstock Road, Handsworth, studied at the Birmingham School of Art in Margaret Street and exhibited at the R.A. The view shows the Hippodrome in the distance, Wormingtons (shipping agents?) to the right and (......poard) Vaults to the left. A little group of flower sellers (?) is in the foreground. The etching is, surprisingly, dated c.1960.

Viv.

View attachment 83966

Bit different from this D J Norton shot of 1959...

Hippodrome.jpg

And to reiterate what everyone else says, you have quite a talent there Cookie, that's such an evocative and skillfully drawn picture...wet weather suits you sir!

It's interesting how dramatic watercolours can be isn't it? I love the man reading the newspaper in Eric's Bull Ring painting as well as the lady crossing the road with the shopping bag. I also really like the glimpse of the railings. Are these the railings around Nelson's statue? Viv.

Yeah, looks like it. Funny, we walked by these things quite often and never even noticed them back then. They must have made an impression though.

It's interesting how dramatic watercolours can be isn't it? I love the man reading the newspaper in Eric's Bull Ring painting as well as the lady crossing the road with the shopping bag. I also really like the glimpse of the railings. Are these the railings around Nelson's statue? Viv.

I should jolly well cocoa Vivvy. Railings seen here in two more famous Bull Ring Drawings too ...but these are not half as good as Cookie's. I really think his one should be available to buy as a quality print. I would imagine any Brummie over 50 would want one. I do. Now!

Bull Ring  Nelsons statue.jpgSt Martins rebuild prints  1855.jpg

Dennis, unfortunately I sold the painting in 1998 at the RBSA Gallery so unable to have prints made but the copyright stays with me so if anybody wants to make copies its OK by me, or any of my pics on 'coppermine' or 'Original Art' thread or my profile page Gallery feel free. Eric

I should jolly well cocoa Vivvy. Railings seen here in two more famous Bull Ring Drawings too ...but these are not half as good as Cookie's. I really think his one should be available to buy as a quality print. I would imagine any Brummie over 50 would want one. I do. Now!

View attachment 83980View attachment 83981

Eric's paintings and pen and ink views would make a lovely book too. No pressure Eric! Viv.

The nelson statue picture post #125 seems to show a disconnect between the clothing of the men and the ladies dresses...it seems to me anyway...different periods.

The two pictures of St. Martins shows what was behind the church before Smithfield Market I think. You can see the industrialisation of the Manor buildings inside the moat. If it was still there at the time.

I noticed on Ancestry recently they were saying that it was easier to date photographs/paintings by the clothes the ladies wore rather then the men. That may partly explain the apparent discrepancy.

Thought I'd post 3 different artists showing a quite similar view of St.Phillip's Church/Cathedral. Firstly a drawing from the 'Land We Live In' of 1856. The figures in the churchyard seem vaguely formed and the churchyard seems to be shown in a very untidy state, with children playing (?) among the tombstones. The second drawing I have no information on, but given there are lamps in the churchyard may be about mid 1800s. There seems to be a low wooden fence surrounding the gravestones (not railings) something I've never seen before in views of St. Phillip's. The third view is a painting by William Albert Green, 1930, all very neat and tidy and picturesque. Viv.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360342594.629243.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360342645.574878.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360342693.900720.jpg

Superb pics Viv. I love this building and it's history.

Allow me to add a little about St Philips from t'net for extra flavour....The first shot is the best IMHO, showing from the right, Waterloo St and Christchurch and the Town Hall at the end, then Temple Street, then Needless Alley and New Street Station in the distance, and lastly Cherry Street and St Martins in the distance...plus magnificent views of the Back of Rackhams....(ahem)......

During 18th century Birmingham became one of most populous towns in England. At a time when national population increased by 14%, the population of Birmingham increased by 900%. In 1550 St Martin’s, Birmingham parish church could conceivably accommodate most of the population of 1500 people. But by 1750 Birmingham had 24 000 inhabitants and by 1801 some 74 000. This was particularly galling for the rich inhabitants of the town who, despite their wealth, were unable to rent pews in the parish church.

There were also problems burying the dead. The small churchyard was full almost to overflowing. William Hutton wrote: ‘A considerable hill had arisen . . . so that the dead are raised up . . . and instead of the church burying the dead, the dead would, in time, have buried the church.’ The town was expanding northwards beyond New Street and the High Street in an area that became known as High Town. In 1708 the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry obtained an Act of Parliament to set up a Commission, made up of wealthy local landowners, to build a new church. The site for the church, agricultural land known as Horse Close or Barley Close, was sold at a favourable price by members of the related Inge and Phillips families, hence the dedication. At that time the site was beyond the built-up area of the town.

St Philip's Church was designed by Thomas Archer and built between 1711 and 1725. It is one of only a few churches in the English baroque style and one of the smallest cathedrals in England. Archer had visited the great cities of Europe as a young man and was one of a small number of architects who interpreted the baroque in an English setting. Construction started in 1709 and the church was consecrated in 1715, although lack of funding meant that the tower was unfinished. The church was built in locally-made brick and faced with calcareous limestone from the Archer family's own Rowington quarries on their Umberslade estate. It is thought that much of the timber also came from the Archer estates.

Under the parliamentary act the church when consecrated became a parish church taking its parish out of that of St Martin’s.

At the suggestion of Sir Richard Gough of Edgbaston Hall, King George I donated £600 to complete the tower in 1725. The gilded boar's head weathervane derives from the Gough family crest in recognition of Sir Richard ‘s efforts to get the tower completed. At the time of its building the church was surrounded to the north and west and east by fields and orchards. These would soon make way for the elegant town houses of the wealthy were moving from the lower part of the industrial town.

William Hutton, in his 1783 History of Birmingham, wrote of his first impression of the church when he arrived in Birmingham: "When I first saw St. Philip's, in the year 1741, at a proper distance, uncrowded with houses, for there were none to the north, New-hall excepted, untarnished with smoke, and illuminated by a western sun, I was delighted with its appearance, and thought it then, what I do now, and what others will in future, the pride of the place. If we assemble the beauties of the edifice, which cover a rood of ground; the spacious area of the church-yard, occupying four acres; ornamented with walks in great perfection; shaded with trees in double and treble ranks; and surrounded with buildings in elegant taste: perhaps its equal cannot be found in the British dominions." Wonder what he'd have made of it now...after popping in for a swift half at the Old Joint Stock....

View from St Philips Tower 1851

St Philips Church North Prospect

St Philips Westley's East Prospect

Temple Row 1858

Birmingham 1731

Interesting Dennis. I sometimes find it hard to grasp that St. Phillip's is 300+ years old. Your first drawing shows an awful lot of railings lining the walkways around and inside the churchyard. This must have been pre the lime tree avenues. Always thought how lovely the lime tree lined walkways, stretching around the church, would have been, especially as the view from there must have, at one time, been well worth seeing. This watercolour by Paul Braddon (b.1864, d.1938) must be a retrospective view of St. Phillip's, I guess sometime after 1880. It's a view of St. Phillip's from New Street (and shows the old post office directly ahead). Don't know if the scaffolding around St. Phillip's is intended to show the building of or later completion of the church (for the weather vane maybe? Although that looks like a lot of scaffolding for erecting a weather vane!). Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360408391.017088.jpg

Great picture Post #113 (they all are) but 113 new here I think and compliments a similar painting view posted earlier by you. Looking up the hill from the front of the Theater Royal. Bennetts Hill not there yet. I think that St. Phillips may be a bit more imposing than it actually is from there and your previous painting view may be a little more perspective in this respect. Anyway I may be wrong. Still this picture shows more detail. Roof trussing seems to have been a challenge back then.

PICT0180.jpgPICT0181.jpgPICT0182.jpg

I posted these recently in a thread about Ladypool Road. It's a painting by D B Wilson. The 1st road on the left is Alfred St. Click on them for full screen.

This is a new one to me. Nathaniel Sparks etcher and printer (not a local, 1880 - 1956). View of the Town Hall, looks bout 1930s/40s? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374739329.931856.jpg

Rather "boxy" looking AEC Regent buses new c1930. I would date this before the famous Birmingham one way system which I think was 1933

Thanks for that David. Wasn't too sure how accurately the vehicles were portrayed in the picture as the cars look a bit squat and dumpy. But maybe side views of the cars did look like that in the 30s. Viv.

Back