• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

He also has a son, Nigel Priddey, also a member of the RBSA and the BWS (Birmingham Watercolour Society), I knew him during my membership (1988-2007) and he had a similar style to his father and Birmingham scenes were a common subject with him, he may well be still a member. Eric

Thanks Eric. Nigel produced this very nice piece "St Martin's Place, Broad Street" viv.

image.jpeg

Yes, that's a typical Nigel Priddey, my sort of subject, we did go out once together to paint Gas Street basin, the type of subject we both liked. Eric

Thought I'd post 3 different artists showing a quite similar view of St.Phillip's Church/Cathedral. Firstly a drawing from the 'Land We Live In' of 1856. The figures in the churchyard seem vaguely formed and the churchyard seems to be shown in a very untidy state, with children playing (?) among the tombstones. The second drawing I have no information on, but given there are lamps in the churchyard may be about mid 1800s. There seems to be a low wooden fence surrounding the gravestones (not railings) something I've never seen before in views of St. Phillip's. The third view is a painting by William Albert Green, 1930, all very neat and tidy and picturesque. Viv.View attachment 84307
View attachment 84308
View attachment 84309

The only mention I can find of William Albert Green.

For more of his pictures see this site.....

https://www.ewgreen.org.uk/pack-a/thumbs-a/th-abberley.htm

Viv, You asked for someone to pinpoint the location of the canal in the St Chads picture.

I have taken this from Google Maps Street View. The artist's position would have been along the towpath shown from the bridge in Lower Loveday St.

Attachments

• Lower Loveday Street.pdf
    162.5 KB · Views: 36
That's great David. The position, or very near to it on the wharf (Honduras Wharf) must have been very close to the artist, if not a snippet of it in the drawing. A nice addition to my family history - one of my Gt grandfathers had a forge along there! Many thanks. Viv.

It's quite naive isn't it ? And not much to look at as a 'Town Hall'. If memory serves, I think this building still exists. Viv.

It’s difficult to get a list of paintings by Blackham without logging into Auction sites, however a few are listed below...

The Stork Hotel, Old Square.
View from Deritend.
Hockley Hill, Handsworth.
Digbeth looking to St Martins.
Corner of Stafford Street 1882.
Above Keepers Pool.

Not sure where to post these, but saw them in The Gallery at the Library of Birmingham during the Wholesale Memory exhibition.

Quote by Francis Dobbs

Pugin

William Hutton

Loved the quotes ellbrown! Do you think Birmingham has now reached its zenith? According to Hutton this will depend on our manufacturers and they have all but disappeared.

I think Pugin's quote sums him up. I once visited his house and it was so over decorated and fussy that it gave me the willies and I had to come out. When I read his quote I wanted to shout 'Up the Radicals and Dissenters'!

Good day folks...I have a query as to who painted this MAGNIFICENT depiction of Brum life in the back to backs in the 40s or 50s? Thanks...
20245942_10211864297874092_4205415553270662274_n.jpg

Two of the boys are wearing jeans which I think would date the picture more into the 1960s. They all look well dressed. The wing mirror on the car also looks about 1960 to me.

Good day folks...I have a query as to who painted this MAGNIFICENT depiction of Brum life in the back to backs in the 40s or 50s? Thanks...
View attachment 128998

That is by Danny Howes and it is called "Side By Side Between The Back To Backs"

http://www.reubencolleyfineart.co.u...k/side-by-side-between-the-back-to-backs-sold

It may be hIs interpretation of a Phyllis Nicklin photograph.

He was certainly involved in the Nicklin Revisited Project a while ago where artists painted their interpretation of her photographs...

http://www.reubencolleyfineart.co.u...Nicklin_Revisited_originals_portrait_2016.pdf

It is certainly from a photo rather than directly on the spot, you would never get 5 children to pose for you that long. Still a great painting Eric

Last edited:
That is by Danny Howes and it is called "Side By Side Between The Back To Backs"

http://www.reubencolleyfineart.co.u...k/side-by-side-between-the-back-to-backs-sold

It may be hIs interpretation of a Phyllis Nicklin photograph.

He was certainly involved in the Nicklin Revisited Project a while ago where artists painted their interpretation of her photographs...

http://www.reubencolleyfineart.co.u...Nicklin_Revisited_originals_portrait_2016.pdf

The second link shows the artists interpretations of Phyllis’ photos. They come with a price tag.
There are a few that I would not pay a quid for!

Back