• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

shirl i dont know it im afraid..tried to read what it says on the hanging sign as it may give us a clue but cant quite make it out...

lyn

I would fit with the c 1889 map. Here it is called the Swan with two necks, but Kellys for 1890 calls it the Swan Vaults, so the name used must have been a bit molten. the trees would fit in, as they are shown on the map, and the building by the nearest tree on the left is presumably The Rainbow pub.

map_c_1889_showing_Swan_high_st_deritend.jpg

Thank you, Carolina & Mike. The 1889 map shows a curve but the artist makes the road look quite straight, so thats rather odd.

hi everyone,,i have many prints of Old Brum hanging around my home,they are limited edition and are of Brum in the 20s and 30s,,the artist is Robert K Calvert,
They are of colmore row,the markets and st martins and also of the crown and digbeth.tried looking up this artist and cant find these works,can you help?Im sure one of you can,pleasehttps://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/images/smilies/bhwr/dft012.gif

The artist published a number of these prints I have one lickeys, the best chap to ask is Robert apparently he is back in the midlands but is keeping a low profile, I do not know if he still paints or not, I would like to see him again, I knew him in the 1980,s

Thanks but this leads me to a younger robert calvert...my prints are far older,robert k calvert is the one i am looking for,,maybe his father,,,:eek:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks but this leads me to a younger robert calvert...my prints are far older,robert k calvert is the one i am looking for,,maybe his father,,,:eek:)

Not sure what you mean by older the Robert Calvert who lives in Tamworth is the Birmingham Artist he has painted many pictures of Brum. I think the one most of us know is of the Bull Ring Market and St Martins.

oh ok,,maybe im wrong,will post the prints on here,,some of them are signed and numbered,,are they worth anything?? not that im going to sell them,,but just to know

I suspect that they are not worth that much (I do hope that I am wrong) it would be worth a check on Ebay, to see if there are any on sale there, I have an original Calvert I have no idea what it is worth

oh ok,,maybe im wrong,will post the prints on here,,some of them are signed and numbered,,are they worth anything?? not that im going to sell them,,but just to know

How lucky are you to have an original. His work seems to be getting more popular I have several postcards of his work.

Out of interest do you have postcard of the trams a the Lickeys did he do more than one print, I have seen a print of two trams in the scene at the lickeys, was there a print of just one tram in the scene

How lucky are you to have an original. His work seems to be getting more popular I have several postcards of his work.

Back