• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

BordesleyExile

master brummie
The artists who painted or drew Birmingham lanscpapes includes Samuel Lines, T Creswick, David Cox, George Warren Blackham & Buck. The latter's work is to be seen on the Panoramas thread. Samuel Lines painted the view from St Phillips which is on the Ann St thread. Does anyone have any more pics by these artists, suggest good books on any of them or know of any good links? Are there any more artists who can give us insights into pre Victorian Birmingham? I had a Wiggins landscape artist of Birmingham in my family, but can find no record of his work so far.
Radcliffe engraved pictures of Birmingham.

The quality of these from Warren Blackham is not good, as they are from a newspaper cutting (where the paper has browned) when the Evening Mail were offering reproduction in 1979 in aid of the General hospital bicenteneray appeal. the notes mention that Warren lived in hunters lane, married a local girl, but she suffered a nervous breakdown and was committed to a mental hospital . He painted continuously for her keep and sold most of his possessions to keep her the best he could. Somehow, i don't think many would do that nowadays .
Mike

Smithfield_Market_1880s_EM_172C92C79.jpg

Hill_St_1880s_EM_172C92C79.jpg

High_St_2C_deritend_1880s_EM_172C92C79.jpg

A
The originals are apparently in the birmingham Art Gallery, so they may sell copies
Mike

Stonking, Mike. Thank you so much. What are the exact locations of the first 2? Its interesting to compare the Hill St painting with the one attached.

Yes , they look very similar. Sorry, I forgot to put in the positions . the first is deritend from by the Old Crown, and the second is Smithfield Market, i would guess from Moat row.
Mike

The quality of these from Warren Blackham is not good, as they are from a newspaper cutting (where the paper has browned) when the Evening Mail were offering reproduction in 1979 in aid of the General hospital bicenteneray appeal. the notes mention that Warren lived in hunters lane, married a local girl, but she suffered a nervous breakdown and was committed to a mental hospital . He painted continuously for her keep and sold most of his possessions to keep her the best he could. Somehow, i don't think many would do that nowadays .
Mike
Mike that is such a moving story - it gives the paintings extra meaning.
What year/s do you thing these paintings show - they are brilliant, thanks for posting them.
Polly

I'm nor sure Polly. the clipping just says 1880s.
There are a number of his views;
Digbeth looking towards St Martins at https://bmagic.org.uk/objects/1996V112/images/138845 and another on same theme at https://bmagic.org.uk/objects/1996V112/images/138844 . The latter, if the advertising for Freers on the wall is correct, is pre 1888, as the firm had changed hands between 1884 and 1888.
Hockley hill is at https://bmagic.org.uk/objects/1934V425/images/138860
Handsworth old town hall (as imagined) 1840 at https://www.search.digitalhandswort...s=&direction=&pointer=2667&text=0&printable=1
Corner of church lane, perry barr at https://www.search.digitalhandswort...&direction=&pointer=3026&text=0&resource=5087

mike

Thanks Mike - more great pictures. I am especially interested to see how the area around St martins looked in the past - now I know how many of my family went there.
where did you see the FREERS advert - I can't see it :rolleyes:.
Polly :)

The painting of Smithfield Market is interesting. The fence can be seen on the 1890 survey and as you say Mike this is from Moat Row. On the painting the moat has been filled in but it seems as though a couple of the last Manor buildungs remain behind it and at least one can be recognised on sketches made before the demolition had started. Seems like a smoke stack still there which ties in with writing that says the manor buildings were used for industry in the latter stages of existance. I can't quite reconcile the position of St. Martin's spire on here though with the orientation and the position of the spire on the drawings but this seems to be from further to the left. There is a photo of this patch also in the time of steam trams.

The photo you have no doubt seen before..anyway the steam tram is in Moat Row and the painting is from there looking to the left. No market buildings yet to be seen but that patch looks the same.

The reference given says that Paul Braddon was born 1864 as James Leslie Crees. In 1881 he is with his father William H. & mother Catherine at 111 Little Green lane. His father was a commercial traveller, and James was a booksellers assistant, while his younger brother William was a printer
In 1891 he is still with his father , but listed as an artist (sculptor) at 159 Balsall Heath road, where his father is a bookseller while William junior was now a compositor.
In 1901 his father is is listed as a picture dealer at 28 Alfred St, Balsall Heath there is a son Leslie listed as an artist (Sculptor). He has added a couple of years to his age as James L. in 1881.
Can't find him in 1871 ,

Kellys lists William Henry crees as a stationer at 159 Balsall Heath Road from sometime between 1884 and 1888 till 1897. From 1899-1900 however, at the same address, he describes himself as a fine art dealer. By 1903 William Henry Crees & son are fine art dealers at 316 moseley road, ut by 1904 have been replaced by Sarah Higgins, stationer, and seem to have disappeared from birmingham

There is also at various times in the period, a Ernest James Crees , 297 monument road , bookseller 1892, an Isaac L Crees, engraver & printer at 50 Caroline st, a Thomas Walter Crees, embosser at 82 King Edwards Road, and Joseph Creese & Co Lithographers, designers, printers and wholesale stationers at 7 Castle St & York passage, high St. the family seem to be well connected in the stationery, bookseller etc trade.
Mike

Mike
I'm afraid I don't know very much about artists, so I haven't heard of him, but those who know more about art than me may well be very familiar with him
Mike
Sorry mike, just realised the question wasn't aimed at me

William Pitt was a Birmingham landscape artist, who was born in 1853 and died in 1890.

He is recorded as exhibiting at the Royal Academy between 1863 (bit young?) and 1880, and regularly at the British Institute and the Suffolk Street gallery.

Pit's passion was for scenic landscapes of the English west country, especially Devon and Cornwall. He doesn't seem to be well represented on the net yet but he may have done some daubs of his home town....

Last edited:
I am afraid that I cannot find any of David Newton's pics on Google, Mikelee. Are you able to scan or photograph the picture that you do have so we can appreciate it?
Thanks for the William Pitt mention, Aidan. There does seem to be a shortage of Birm artists work available on the web.

I have a really lovey original watercolour of the old stables at Perry Park by Charles Pannell, it was done in 1933. I wonder if its worth anything?

Back