• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Banjo

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

I agree with MWS on post #3058 that it is St Matthew's church in Duddeston/Nechells. My wife's parents were married there in 1937. This Google Earth image from today is from the closest position to the original post.
  2. Banjo

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

You're right Lyn, it is Six Ways
  3. Banjo

BSA Factory 1940s Onwards

That photo posted #225 looks like the frontage when I went there in 1963. The main gates were then situated as shown opposite the middle section but, around 1965 they moved the gates down to the end just before the canal. There is is a photo somewhere purporting to be taken in 1959 which shows...
  4. Banjo

MERRY CHRISTMAS BHF 2022

From our Ted & Family to yours. Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year 2023 to all members of the Forum.
  5. Banjo

Petrol pumps & filling stations of the past

Burley's in Whitehead Street, Aston, my local garage in the 60s. I'm guessing that the photo is from mid 50s. Filled all my motorbikes and cars there until it closed in 1967 due to re-development. The proposed sign that eventually went up was the Regent logo.
  6. Banjo

Birmingham Skyline

Do you think that man & his dog are walking down what we now know as Garrison Lane?
  7. Banjo

Films About The Bull Ring

I went to the Bull Ring one Sunday morning in 2000 with my (slow focusing) analogue video camera to capture the dismantling of the old market. I went again in 2001 and 2002 then added a news item at the end to make a complete video. I've now edited it down to 14 minutes.
  8. Banjo

Delta Metal Dartmouth Street

When I first joined Charles Winn Valves in 1974, it was part of Delta metal. We shared the building in Granville St with Barker & Allen and Delta Marine. When we moved to Warwick St Deritend in 1976, Delta Marine came with us. They left when we were taken over by american company Tyco Valves.
  9. Banjo

Old Maps of Birmingham

I've tried all ways online to find a street map or Kelly's directory referring to the chip shop on Stoney Lane Sparkbrook in 1954. Looking at Google Earth I think the house number would have been around No 137 - 141. My Aunt Bessie (Betty) Middleham ran it then for a while with Uncle Frank. I...
  10. Banjo

Windows 10

I too had a Commodore 64 and later bought an Amiga 500+ which is still in the attic somewhere.
  11. Banjo

First Driving Lesson

I remember taking my test to drive a bus. Amongst the many questions I was asked, the examiner asked me which vehicles were not allowed on a motorway. In my nervousness, one of the vehicles I said was articulated vehicles but in my mind I had said agricultural vehicles. It was only when he asked...
  12. Banjo

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

What a spectacular opening ceremony last night. Proud to say my Son and Son-in-Law were both volunteers. Over the next week I must go 'up town' to see that brilliant Brummie bull.
  13. Banjo

Memories of the Avro Lancaster

Our re-enactor group were asked to to a dispersal display at Kemble in 2013. While we were there we got to look around inside the BBmf Lancaster and I took this video.
  14. Banjo

Memories of the Avro Lancaster

I was at the Walsall Aboretum car show today and was delighted to see the Lancaster flying over. I've seen it lots of times at 1940s events but never at a car show. It was travelling in a north-westerly direction so was probably returning home to RAF Coningsby from somewhere.
  15. Banjo

Fleur-de-Lys pies

Whenever I went to my local chip shop I had a choice of which pie to buy. Telfers had two pies, small for 9d and large for 11d. If I could afford it I would buy the Fleur-de-Lys for 1/1d. Enjoyable as it was, I recall that I always seemed to only have enough to buy the large Telfer pie.
  16. Banjo

Newtown Row

I used to get my bicycle parts from Thomas's.
  17. Banjo

Whitehead street, Aston

In the absence of any photos available, the reason I originally made these images is to show my children & grandchildren where we used to live. The far house (next to the factory) was No9 where my wife lived before we were married. After we were married we lived in the front room of that house...
  18. Banjo

Whitehead street, Aston

Hi brummy-lad, apart from the colourized ones, all photos posted on this website are original. Because this is largely only an interpretation of what I remember in a photographic form, I thought it might be deemed inappropriate. Having said that, I believe it to be pretty accurate.
  19. Banjo

Whitehead street, Aston

I have yet to see any real photos of Whitehead St so, over the past few months I made one up. Using various personal photos,other photos, maps and a great deal of my memory I have made this video photo. Anyone living around Alma St or High St in the early 60s might also remember this scene. If...
  20. Banjo

THINKING OF SOSPIRI (maurice)

Best wishes Maurice and hope you get well soon.
Back