• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

This is a view from a similar location but moved round to the right , Woolworths to the left and off in the distance William Leese China Ware, fine selection of market barrow's around. Plenty of suits around - A sight not seen these days, a busy market scene on a sunny day. Off in the distance the Times Furnishing and Burton Tailoring Signs look down and the red glow from these signs are another long lost image.

Test305 1.jpg

Now where do we start on this image there is so much which has been long gone - Gaumont Cinema at the top, the old Snow Hill Station, with all its roof vents , metal columns and platform covers, and many of the low rise industrial buildings. There is much which has not been built - the large roundabout with underpasses , Royal Angus Hotel along with those building that have filled the empty space. Centre to all this is the Post Office Tower which is nearing completion just the many communication bits to add. You can alos just make out the dark and murky canal at the bottom, a big difference from today.

Test421.jpg

I am unsure of the location of this picture ( well I have an idea but not brave enough to commit) The BMI in all its dirt encrusted splendor. I assume this is another long gone building, but plenty to see, the CBSO promenade banner across the road, the statue which I presume it has moved many times and the interesting Architecture at the end of the road to the right. There are a fine selection of vehicles with an old 2CV next to the Morris van in the centre with a No Entry sign planted at random or so it seems. Note the parking meters, bright red telephone boxes and the hanging baskets round the lamp posts.

Test427.jpg

Finally - this is a scan of a negative I have had off a collection from Lyn, it is to show Lyn and you an idea of what is on the negatives. As can be seen it is the Crown Stores Clifford Street, there are dates for these however they are on seperate sheets so I need to tie these up,it is a negative of a photo of a photo, so a bit of work to do .

20210710144012_08.jpg

This is a view from a similar location but moved round to the right , Woolworths to the left and off in the distance William Leese China Ware, fine selection of market barrow's around. Plenty of suits around - A sight not seen these days, a busy market scene on a sunny day. Off in the distance the Times Furnishing and Burton Tailoring Signs look down and the red glow from these signs are another long lost image.

View attachment 176456
Attached picture to hopefully compliment this picture, it shows the flower sellers beneath the old t
ring road.

Attachments

• 4CCBB4BE-9E4C-433E-A2F9-C2D81923CFF7.jpeg
    4CCBB4BE-9E4C-433E-A2F9-C2D81923CFF7.jpeg
    500.5 KB · Views: 44
I am unsure of the location of this picture ( well I have an idea but not brave enough to commit) The BMI in all its dirt encrusted splendor. I assume this is another long gone building, but plenty to see, the CBSO promenade banner across the road, the statue which I presume it has moved many times and the interesting Architecture at the end of the road to the right. There are a fine selection of vehicles with an old 2CV next to the Morris van in the centre with a No Entry sign planted at random or so it seems. Note the parking meters, bright red telephone boxes and the hanging baskets round the lamp posts.

View attachment 176458
steve as far as i know this building was in paradise st...demolished in 1965 to make way for developments....the institute then moved to margaret st...yet another lovely building we have lost

lyn

View attachment 176458
Paradise St ????

We now have the Dog and Partridge Ashted Row, lot of things going on that you no longer see, man pushing his cart - Rag Man?, and the whole area seems ready or has been demolished. Looking right is a wasteland and the next door property is all bricked up. The pub itself is all leaded windows, the classic corner pub. Parked outside are a fine selection of vehicles, including a Co Operative lorry.

Test453.jpg

We now have the Dog and Partridge Ashted Row, lot of things going on that you no longer see, man pushing his cart - Rag Man?, and the whole area seems ready or has been demolished. Looking right is a wasteland and the next door property is all bricked up. The pub itself is all leaded windows, the classic corner pub. Parked outside are a fine selection of vehicles, including a Co Operative lorry.

View attachment 176469
Yes, the Rag and Bone man, at one time every area in Birmingham had one, from a hand cart, horse and cart, or van. The currency used to be balloons or gold fish in a plastic bag.

Next image is very much a city in transition, Five ways showing the start of the construction of the underpass and roundabout. It is hard to imagine that there was no roundabout there , but this was before al lot of traffic was routed around the city. There are large areas of cleared land and houses and court stretch down Broad Street. You can just make out the curve of the canal top left corner and top right I assume to be the post office parking area. I am also surprised at how many recognisable modern building arte already there.

Test356 1.jpg

I seem to recall posting an image of this area taken to the left of this view - I cannot recall the location but I am sure someone will assist. The Midland Bank makes a fine sight, using every available architectural device , columns, cornices, and balustrades . I love how the car is parked on the corner of the junction. Demolition sale on progress so I assume all to be remove. An interesting lamp cover, different from the one on the corner, and some variety of building in the distance with blinds drawn for the sun.
Test319 1.jpg

I seem to recall posting an image of this area taken to the left of this view - I cannot recall the location but I am sure someone will assist. The Midland Bank makes a fine sight, using every available architectural device , columns, cornices, and balustrades . I love how the car is parked on the corner of the junction. Demolition sale on progress so I assume all to be remove. An interesting lamp cover, different from the one on the corner, and some variety of building in the distance with blinds drawn for the sun.
View attachment 176475
what a fine building that bank was steve...i say was because i will surprised if its still standing....cant make out the name off the 2 road or street signs...hopefully someone will be able to find out the location but it does seem familiar to me...first thought was the midland bank corner of birchfield road and lozells road

lyn

Last edited:
As many will know this is St. Catherine's Catholic Church on Bristol Street, although it may be a struggle to identify it as Bristol Street in this image, is now a manic multi lane road. Irving Street to the right of the Church also looks quite different. I see that the building to the left on Great Colmore Street is still also there today. Fine selection of the finest british cars parked with only the occasional VW creeping in.

Test446.jpg

Another pub for you all, and an image which I thought I had posted before but a quick search couldn't locate, White Swan Public house. I love the symmetry of this building, not much leading on the windows but large etched windows on the front. I also like the two lamps at the front and the edging of the main door with its circle motif in the corners. Small van parked out the front, half on the pavement but no other traffic. Building on the right has some interesting uses of doors for blocking of windows and the ground floor is fully boarded up.

Test448.jpg

Again another picture I think I have posted before but not sure what I called it to find on the search , now site of the Floosy in the Jacuzzi, an identifable building on the left and Queen Victoria looking over the changes, shame this all went for a grass area and now a fountain / flower bed. Selection of shops wrapping around the corner and into New Street. A view down New Street is surprising at the amount of traffic, cars busses, and how narrow the pavements are. Suggestions on a year that all this went.
Test415.jpg

If you look into the background of post 3033 you will see a row of buildings - which again are long gone, I think these are the buildings in this picture, interestingly in the post They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...#2,268, you can see there are no buildings there, so they didn't last long!! If I am in the correct location this is the University of Birmingham in Edmund Street. It is a fine building with arches, points and ornamental ridge tiles, some fine iron work around the top of the building and an long thin oval chimney. Perhaps today the frontage would have been kept and a modern building constructed behind it.
Test443.jpg

what a fine building that bank was steve...i say was because i will surprised if its still standing....cant make out the name off the 2 road or street signs...hopefully someone will be able to find out the location but it does seem familiar to me...first thought was the midland bank corner of birchfield road and lozells road

lyn
You're right Lyn, it is Six Ways

This is a bit different and something to test your Birmingham knowledge, two blocks the one on the right seems to have been refurbished, wooden fencing around the site ( old tile panels removed (?) ) , no idea of location. Down the road to the right are more traditional buildings, with a pub at the end of the road? not much of a clue I know. Old style street lamps

Test344 1.jpg

This image has a lot to offer although at first view it is a clearance site, there is a gasholder in the distance, does this make it Nechells area and a large church which should be recognisable location. There is a tall old style telephone pole, traditional street light and not much else. It seems someone has removed a couple of boards from the house on the right, and note the lad dressed in shorts walking towards us, as there are no leaves on the trees we assume its winter so he must be cold. In the background children are playing on the cleared land. ( Again this seems to be a picture I recall been posted before - someones parents were married in the church ? I am sure you will let me know)

Test333 1.jpg

This image has a lot to offer although at first view it is a clearance site, there is a gasholder in the distance, does this make it Nechells area and a large church which should be recognisable location. There is a tall old style telephone pole, traditional street light and not much else. It seems someone has removed a couple of boards from the house on the right, and note the lad dressed in shorts walking towards us, as there are no leaves on the trees we assume its winter so he must be cold. In the background children are playing on the cleared land. ( Again this seems to be a picture I recall been posted before - someones parents were married in the church ? I am sure you will let me know)

View attachment 176496
would definately say nechells for this one steve but cant give a location at the min

lyn

Here we have a lady walking past the site of a Frank H Trippas bakery, now a hardware store the road looks to be on an incline. Public house to the left and to the right a few more shops all looking rather tired, as usual no location or date, James Charles Stephens is the licensee of the pub. I like the posts with the reflectors at the top and the rather faded black and white paint. Just noticed the pram parked outside the shop.

Test431.jpg

Back