• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Delta Metal Dartmouth Street

I worked in the Delta Metal wages office in 1967 and 1968 and then transferred to Delta Tubes at Winson Green. We used comptometers for quick calculations of various work rates for the men in the factory across the road. That's the only time I've ever seen a comptometer. They were a big clumsy version of todays calculators.

I worked in the Delta Metal wages office in 1967 and 1968 and then transferred to Delta Tubes at Winson Green. We used comptometers for quick calculations of various work rates for the men in the factory across the road. That's the only time I've ever seen a comptometer. They were a big clumsy version of todays calculators.
I worked for Delta Wire in the 70s. After reading your post I looked up the Comptometer and discovered that the first all-electronic desktop calculator by Sumlock Comptometer Ltd of the UK. So it seems Britain invented the World's first electronic calculator as well as the World's first Electronic Programmable Digital Computer (Colossus) developed at Bletchley Park during WWII.

When I first joined Charles Winn Valves in 1974, it was part of Delta metal. We shared the building in Granville St with Barker & Allen and Delta Marine. When we moved to Warwick St Deritend in 1976, Delta Marine came with us. They left when we were taken over by american company Tyco Valves.

I worked at Delta Metal Dartmouth Street from 1970 to 1975 when I took redundancy due to the planned move to West Bromwich.

I was a copy typist in the export department and the managers name was Les Noon.
I remember a Ron Whitaker who was married to a French woman and smelled of garlic every day, and another guy whose name I can't recall right now

Another girl came to work with us, her name was Val. She had long brown curly hair which she always wore down and I can remember here twirling it round her finger constantly lol.

I had 2 friends there called Evelyn who if I remember correctly worked in Accounts, and Jackie Poyner who worked as a draftswoman in the Design Department.

My grandfather worked there too and died in 1967. His name was Samuel khan. Any memory of him? I am trying to find some info.

Back