• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

The Bowling Green At St Bernard's Grange, Sheldon

St Bernard's Grange public house, formerly the home of the Wimbush family, holds dear memories for me. I was born in the 1950's & recall going to the pub in the 1950/60's with my parents and used to have great fun playing within the wonderful grounds with my friends. Today's land border to the...
  2. B

Callender's Cables, Birmingham

Hello, I have discovered that my grandfather used to work at a place called Callender's Cables in Birmingham & I wondered if anyone could tell me where it used to be please? He lived in Small Heath so I assume that it must have been fairly close for him to walk or bus it to. If anyone knows of...
  3. B

Barrows Lane Manor House

I have been told that there used to be a big old manor house which once stood on the grounds that is now known as the Co-op sports grounds in Barrows Lane, Yardley. Does anyone know anything about this old property please such as who used to live there & what the old property was like? I...
  4. B

Patrick Road & Vera Road in Yardley, Birmingham

There are two adjoining roads in Yardley named Patrick Road & Vera Road. Does anyone know who Patrick & Vera actually were & what they did that was significant enough for them to have roads named after them? Thank you.
  5. B

Air raid shelter, Yew Tree, Yardley

Hi all, I once spotted a wonderful old picture on the internet showing the old air raid shelter which used to be situated outside the old Birmingham Municipal Bank at the Yew Tree Yardley on Church Road but I don't seem to be able to track it down again now. Can anyone point me in the right...
  6. B

Ww2 Mine Coin Collection Market Hall

Hi folks, my cousin in Canada has e-mailed me to ask if I can recall the old mine that was sited outside of the old market hall in the Bull Ring which was converted into a collection receptacle for charity. She obviously has a much better memory than me cos I just don't recall it at all. I have...
  7. B

St Matthews Great Lister St Lookups

I have an ancestor who died in 1876 in Bloomsbury Street in Birmingham which I believe to be in the Nechells area. There were only three cemeteries open in Birmingham at that time, Key Hill, Warstone Lane & Witton. I have made enquiries about the burial at each of these cemeteries but my...
  8. B

Cook William Henry & Helen

Electoral Roll request please: COOK William Henry Cook & his wife Helen Cook (also known as Nellie/Nelly Cook) I would love to know where this couple lived after 1911 if possible please ? Last sighted in 1911 living in Bennetts Hill, Birmingham where William & wife worked as office caretakers...
  9. B

COOK, Frederick Charles - born in Birmingham about 1894

Frederick Charles Cook Frederick Charles Cook was born in the Aston parish of Birmingham about 1894, the son of Edward Richard Cook & Susan Cook, formerly Redmond, nee Bradford. The family lived in Sydney Road in Birmingham. If Frederick is a part of your tree I would love to hear from you...
  10. B

COOK, May - of Sydney Road in the parish of Aston, Birmingham.

May Cook May Cook was born in the Aston parish of Birmingham about 1890, the daughter of Edward Richard Cook & Susan Cook, formerly Redmond, nee Bradford. The family lived in Sydney Road in Birmingham. If May is a part of your tree I would love to hear from you please to learn about what became...
  11. B

COOK, Edward Richard - of Birmingham

Edward Richard Cook & Susan Cook, formerly Redmond, nee Bradford Susan Bradford was born about 1854 in Zeal Monachorum, Devon. She married to Patrick Francis Redmond & they had three children. The family moved to Birmingham & sadly, Patrick Redmond died leaving Susan widowed with three young...
  12. B

McGuire Phyllis of Birmingham & Canada

Does anyone have a Phyllis McGuire who used to live in Birmingham & later lived in Canada in their tree? In 1917 she used to live in Stratford Road, Sparkbrook, Birmingham & by 1919 she had moved to live in Coventry Road, Small Heath, Birmingham. I have some wonderful old postcards which were...
  13. B

Liverpool Street, Deritend.

My great garandparents & family for a great many years lived in Liverpool Street in Deritend & I would love to see any old pictures of the street. From what I can make out, it was a jumble of workplaces with houses built in between here & there. If anyone knows of an old photo's I would be very...
  14. B

Liverpool Street, Digbeth

Hi folks, my great grandparents lived in Liverpool Street in Digbeth in the late 1800's & early 1900's. I know that the street was home to factories & other places of work as well as housing. If anyone knows where I can find any old pictures of Liverpool Street I would love to know please. Thank...
  15. B

Kilby (Kilbey) Emily Ada

Emily Ada Kilby (Kilbey) Emily Ada Kilby was born in Deddington, Oxfordshire in 1847. The 1871 census shows Emily working as a domestic servant in Paddington which comes under the Kensington district of London. This places her close to Edward Kensington Devonshire as he lived in the...
  16. B

POWELL family of Birmingham

Ada Emily Devonshire was born in Birmingham in 1896, the daughter of Edward George Kensington Devonshire & Elizabeth Tyler. She married to William H Powell in Birmingham in 1916 & they had at least five children named :- William H Powell born 1920 Birmingham Albert F Powell born 1921 Birmingham...
  17. B

Liverpool street, digbeth, birmingham

Liverpool Street, Digbeth, Birmingham   I have many ancestors who used to live & work in Liverpool Street which is in the Digbeth area of Birmingham ~ most of my family seem to have worked in a brass manufactory making brass bedsteads & I believe that the factory was possibly named Wilkes &...
  18. B

Quinn family of Birmingham

Oliver Quinn of Birmingham There are several Oliver Quinn’s within my family tree & I would very much like to make contact with anyone else who is looking into them too. Oliver James Bernard Quinn was born on 9th May 1858 in Leeds, the son of James Quinn & Mary Louisa Waters. This Oliver...
  19. B

Herbert Road Small Heath

Hi All, My great grandfather & family lived in Herbert Road in Small Heath from the late 1800's right the way through to the 1960's. I would dearly like to obtain some old pictures of Herbert Road so that I can see what the street looked like in order to learn more about my family. If anyone...
  20. B

Arthur Street, Small Heath

Hi All, Could anyone tell me please where I might find some old pictures of Arthur Street in Small Heath before it was re-developed in the 1960/70's? Both of my parents were born in the old back to back houses in Arthur Street & I would love to see what the street looked like to learn more...
Back