• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Matthews Great Lister St Lookups

Brock

master brummie
I have an ancestor who died in 1876 in Bloomsbury Street in Birmingham which I believe to be
in the Nechells area. There were only three cemeteries open in Birmingham at that time, Key
Hill, Warstone Lane & Witton. I have made enquiries about the burial at each of these cemeteries
but my ancestor was buried in none of them. I therefore assume that he must have been buried in
the graveyard of a local church instead. I do not know the area & do not know of the churches in
the area either. Could anyone possibly tell me which are the local churches which would likely
be contenders to check out please?
Thank you.

HI BROCK ;
There was a church along down on long acre but it never had a church yard but at a guess it one or the other
there was a church and burial ground on adderely street wher the number bus still runs up today and there is still the old cemetry and church still standing but they do not bury them ay more i do not know if the curch is still open for service but the head stones and graves are still there
and failing that it must be witton at the secondguess ; still our expert wendy will confirm it i think she as her finger on the button
when she reads your request best of luck astonian;;

Hi Brock

For Bloomsbury Street I would try St Matthews Great Lister St - Willis St or St James the Less Barrack St or St Josephs RC Long Acre and even St Saviors Ash Rd Saltley.

hi phil;
st saviors was the one i could not recall the rd yes it was ash rd oppersite the masonetts that used to be there ;
we had a family of friends in cromwell square in the forties on lichfield rd oppersite our house and they moved into those massonettes on ash rd and the cem; was facing the blocks as you know they have long gone and moderen houses are facing the cemetry and church today and its all over grown and not used
best wishes astonian;;

Brock

If you take a look at this webpage,

https://brummages.blogspot.co.uk/

Snygyst who is a member of this forum has photographed most of the memorials in the cemeteries of St James, St Matthews and St Saviors. You never know you might be lucky.

Back