• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Arthur Street, Small Heath

Brock

master brummie
Hi All,

Could anyone tell me please where I might find some old pictures of Arthur Street in Small Heath before it was re-developed in the 1960/70's?
Both of my parents were born in the old back to back houses in Arthur Street & I would love to see what the street looked like to learn more about my family.

Thank you,
Brock

Sorry beamish but I couldn't view the picture. I would love to see it though so if you do get the chance to try again I would be really grateful please.
Thank you.

Thank you so much for trying again for me, I really appreciate it.
It's a wonderful photo, thank you so much.

Beamish that,s a really nice photo that,s on the corner of the Cov. Rd with the bus garage in the background i suppose that,s you and your gang deciding weather to play on the railway or not.Dek:D:D:D

Hi Brock

My parents lived in Arthur street from about 1961 to 1972 and i was born there. What are your parents called and what number did they live at? My parents were Ray & Jean Haymes and they lived at 8 back of 36, opposite the Prince Atrhur pub corner of Bordesley Park rd and Arthur street. Apparently i was named after a barmaid who worked at the pub :D
I just rang my mom to ask if she had any pictures but she doesn't.
I don't remember anything about the street, i was born in 67.
Hope to hear from you.

Tina x

Hi Tina, good to hear from you.
My Mom's surname was Jones & she & her family used to live at 15 back 82 Arthur Street.
My Dad's surname was Ward & he & his family used to live at 16 back 70 Arthur Street.
I also had family living in the neigbouring roads, Herbert Road & The Grove which was in Mount Pleasant.
I used to love to stay with an aunt during school holidays & one Saturday when I was just a very young girl my Uncle came home from work on Saturday lunch time & told us to get ready to go out for a mystery trip. Someone at work that morning had told him that the old back to back houses in Arthur Street were about to be pulled down to clear the area for re-development & as he & my aunt had been born there & lived there for many years he thought that it would be good to see them again before they disappeared forever.
They were in a terrible state with many of them being derilect & unsafe. The door was broken on the home which my Dad used to live in & so we were able to go inside it. A tramp had been living in there sleeping on a damp mattress on the floor & I can remember all of his meagre possessions lined up ready for use when he got back.
The thing that struck me the most was the size of the rooms. Many of the families had several children & I just couldn't imagine how they managed to cram everyone into their home as there were few rooms & each of those rooms was so tiny!
I remember trying to pull the dood handle off to take back to my Dad as a keepsake but I wasn't able to pull it off which is something that I still get cross about!

Regards,
Brock.

Hi Brock
My parents and 5 children lived in the house. I don't remember the size of the house, i don't really remember anything about it. I would love to have gone back to see the houses there, too late now i guess. I wonder if they looked like the houses on Coranation steet do? :023:
We moved to Arthur street after there, then Benton road and eventually Acocks green. I don't live in Birmingham now, not since 2002. One day i must visit the area to have a look around. My family still live there.
Where do you live now?

Tina x

Hi Brock.
I too lived in Arthur St 8/90 from 1939 to 1955 and I think that tall block of flats are built on the exact spot.
Because the houses were so small two up and two down the sleeping arrangements were my mom and four sisters in the main bedroom and myself and dad in the box room (well named) under the stairs was a "coalhole" next to that a scullery with a stone sink and only cold water of course, the living room was about 10 foot by 10 foot and very damp because the next yards "Miskins" sat up against it.
My father used to go up the Housing Office every week but because we were not over crowded (can you belive) they reckoned we did not have enough points to qualify for a move so it took us 16 years to get out.

Regards Acklam19.

Back