• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Patrick Road & Vera Road in Yardley, Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

master brummie
There are two adjoining roads in Yardley named Patrick Road & Vera Road.
Does anyone know who Patrick & Vera actually were & what they did that was significant enough for them to have roads named after them?
Thank you.

I lived in Patrick Road from 1975 until 1993, happy days, lovely area then.
The houses were built by Dares and I believe Vera was the company owners wife and Patrick his son.

I was thinking along similar lines and was going to suggest that it may have been Morris & Jacombs (builders) who, I recall, also used the names of Directors` wives when naming roads - Ann Croft, Marion Croft and June Croft (all in Sheldon).

Annie

My Mum worked as a typist for Harry Dare in the 1930s when she was a teenager. He was a middle aged man then, so it may be possible to pin down his marriage/children to check the name theory.

I was thinking along similar lines and was going to suggest that it may have been Morris & Jacombs (builders) who, I recall, also used the names of Directors` wives when naming roads - Ann Croft, Marion Croft and June Croft (all in Sheldon).

Annie
I don't know where Ann Croft is but I have seen Marion Croft & June Croft in the past & I wondered who they were named after so I am glad that you shared this with us ~ Thank you. There are so many names around & I often wonder who they were & how they fitted into the local history of past times.

My Mum worked as a typist for Harry Dare in the 1930s when she was a teenager. He was a middle aged man then, so it may be possible to pin down his marriage/children to check the name theory.
It all seems to check out.....
Harry Dare married Vera Miall in Brentford in 1922. Patrick was their eldest son & was born in Solihull in 1922.

My grandparents all lived in Vera Road from when the house were built until the early 1980s. My cousins and I use to play in the park on Moat Lane in the 1960s. I vaguely recall a small shop was incorporated into the building in the middle of the park which may account for the post office being there. I think the building was principally changing rooms, it may still be there.

Noyabrummie, who were your Grandparents as I new everyone in both roads as I lived there from 1935-1959 and my Dad died from that address in 1993. I still have contact in Patrick road now.

Dave

A photo of Vera Rd during the war years, I'm sorry but I haven't come across a photo of Patrick Rd yet.

Attachments

• Yardley Vera Rd.jpg
    Yardley Vera Rd.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 43
I have been trying to find out what happened to Margaret and John trom no 20 for years, Alan , my best friend of 80 years, lived at No 18. We all went to the same school, played together, went out socially as well. I last saw Margaret, and Kath Parry in Patrick rd many moons ago and we had a nice chat, I think she was living in Bristol, but I am not sure, she married Peter Bates who also lived in Vera rd further on down the hill but I think they were Devorced. Please fill me in on the history and let me know if they are still around.
What area are you in as you did not seem to know Patrick rd,
I wil tell you something ,Alan will be surprized to hear this news, as he and John both kept Pidgeons.
Obviously I knew your Grand Mother, quite an atractive dark haired women, very sociable as we all seemed to be during the war years, I think your Grand father died many years before.
What happened to John as I think he joined the Air Force for many years.
Who are your parents, John or Margaret?

Dave

That picture takes me back. I lived in Patrick road from 1976 to 1993 and must have walked up the hill from Moat Lane hundreds of times. Also I grew up in Garretts Green lane so passed that junction on the bus when I was young.

Phil, funny enough, that picture is taken at the ( almost) the top of the hill where opposite No 76 which was Mr & Mrs Bates . The nearest photo is the one taken from Kathleen Picks bedroom window of the bomb damage across the road of Mr Reeves house way back in 1941 I think.
It's a small world!!!!

Dave

Hi Dave,
My Mum is Margaret and she now lives near Hereford with her 2nd husband. My Dad, Peter, lives near Stratford with his 2nd wife. He has a sister, Margaret, who lives in Solihull. They are all good friends together which is great. John lived in Brixham the last I heard but unfortunately he does not keep in touch. He had a daughter, Dawn, who was brought up by our Nan at no 20, you may remember her. Nan's best friend was Mrs Hawker who lived a few doors away. Sadly, she died in a car accident at the age of 40. Kath Parry died quite a while ago, I would guess at least 10 years. You are right about my grandfather, he was killed in action towards the end of the war. You are right about Patrick Road, the only people I remember there was the Beardsmore family. I was brought up in Solihull.
What is your surname, Dave, and Alan's also. I am sending my Mum notes. she will be very pleased to hear all of this.

My Grandmother lived at number 20, Kathleen Pick, and my other grandparents lived at no 76, Norman and Mary Bates.

One can live with an innocuous name for years (Norman Bates) and then it suddenly becomes associated with the main character in the film "Psycho". Hope your grandfather didn't get too teased. Dave.

Thanks goodness she is still with us!! .My you haven't half brought back some memories of life in Patrick rd and vera rd.
I forgot to tell you your mom has her photo on the forum but I don't think you would pick her out of a party crowd, I have the photo on my other comp, it is of the end of the war party in the road and all us kid are on it, many have since passed on though.
Your Mom's next door neighbour was Alan Moore and I am Dave Edwards, there are a lot more names but start with the easy ones first.

Dave

I've spoken with her this afternoon and she remembers both you and Alan very well. She knew exactly who you were before I received your reply with your surnames. She sends you her very best wishes and was delighted to hear that you are still with us as well. She remembers meeting you when she was with Kath. She would love to see the party photo sometime, I don't think she has a copy. She said to mention Peter Cummins who now lives in Solihull. Also, John Knowles who we used to see a lot of when I was young and we went on holiday with them a few times. My Dad's best friend was Stanley Richards who was a few years older but he had a younger brother, Kevin, who you would have known.

Great to hear from you, thanks for all the information. I will add more over the next few days.

Kind regards

Andrew Bates

Andrew, there is one problem with this site ,we never know if we are speaking to a Male or Female unless the profile states so, I thought you were female as you have not stated as such in your information. Now we know, thanks.
John Knowles lives at the back of me here in Solihull, along side the Olton Mere, at one point I think your Aunt Margaret Bates and he used to go out together, he eventually Married a girl who lived across the road from your mom, Margaret Clemence, she died very young.
You said that Kath Parry died 10 years ago, are you sure. The reason I asked John Parry moved out of Patrick rd a few years ago and never told anybody where they were going and many of his friends kept asking about him. Kath was alive then. Where John went is a mystery.
Stan Richards, I would not know where he is, the arsonist, Kevin, lives in Australia somewhere, always setting thing alight, like the stubble in Moat lane Park during the 1940-50's.

Dave

I remember the BROOKS brothers who lived on Vera Rd just around the corner from Moat Lane. I got into a Argy bargy with one of the brothers and he knocked out my two front teeth with a stone. This was just before I went in the RAF The dentist in the RAF messed up getting the false teeth right and I have had problems with them all my life. Do you remember this DAVE by the way, I have never seen the photos of the party do you still have them? John Crump OldBrit. Parker, Colorado USA

Another story,
We kids all played together from both roads and one of the best rides on a trolly was to go down Vera Road hill and to see if you could reach 126 Moat lane or Barrows lane corner. We used to have about four on the trolly and start off in the middle of the road on the "V" on the top of the hill, go past Mr Bates house then take to the pavement via the dropped curb as the slabbing was still flat. We had to have a look out at the bottom as someone could be walking up from Barrows lane and we would be going at a hell of a bat on the bend. Accidents did happen, to much weight for the wheels to carry and one would break on the bend and we all spilled off. One of the problems was steering. We were not engineers as yet in those days and the front axle which was a flat piece of wood with a steel axle screwed to it was a devil to move, as it was wood on wood and the wider the plank and the more kids on it we were heading for a pile and we had one. We made one which could carry about 8 kids but we did not road test it and due to the extra weight when we went up the dropped curb the steering jammed, we went straight into the wall, and believe you me we had a hell of a lot of cuts and bruises.

Dave.

Ann, you sent John Crump and I photo's before of your relatives but time has faded the memory and we could not remember them after 70 years, more is the pity.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back