• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Liverpool Street, Deritend.

Brock

master brummie
My great garandparents & family for a great many years lived in Liverpool Street in Deritend & I would love to see any old pictures of the street. From what I can make out, it was a jumble of workplaces with houses built in between here & there. If anyone knows of an old photo's I would be very interested to see them please so that I can see what my ancestors would have seen all around them when they walked out of their home.
Thank you.

Brock, I don't have any photo's of Liverpool Street but I remember the place well as I used to live in Lower Trinity St when I was in my school years and we all played in the area covering :- L/trinity St, Adderly St, Allcock St, etc; If you go onto Google Maps and zoom into Liverpool St from the junction with Allcock St you will see on the Right side a large building that takes up about half of Liverpool St this was know as Liverpool St Bus Station. The if you look on the left side it is shown today all fenced off, this is where most of the
houses were the the rest of Liverpool St was factories of various sizes like Deritend Engineering Ltd
Finally I have another reason to remember Liverpool St as it was the address of my first real childhood sweetheart Phyllis John

Brock, I don't have any photo's of Liverpool Street but I remember the place well as I used to live in Lower Trinity St when I was in my school years and we all played in the area covering :- L/trinity St, Adderly St, Allcock St, etc; If you go onto Google Maps and zoom into Liverpool St from the junction with Allcock St you will see on the Right side a large building that takes up about half of Liverpool St this was know as Liverpool St Bus Station. The if you look on the left side it is shown today all fenced off, this is where most of the
houses were the the rest of Liverpool St was factories of various sizes like Deritend Engineering Ltd
Finally I have another reason to remember Liverpool St as it was the address of my first real childhood sweetheart Phyllis John
Hi John, Many thanks your your message. I will take a look at the maps as you suggested.
My great grandparents lived in Liverpool Street & my great grandfather also worked in the same street too in one of the factories.
How lovely that my message brought back such good memories for you ~ it's true what they say, you never forget your first true love!

Hi Brock
I dont have any photos of Liverpool St but i had some relatives who also lived in Liverpool St in 1911, but alas i cant find anything else about them at the moment (Bull family) lived at 5 Liverpool St.
Anyway i know Liverpool St really well as i worked for WMPTE now National Express from 1980 to 1988, i walked that rd many times
if you look at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10098&ox=4260&oy=2396&zm=1&czm=1&x=348&y=33 this should point to the houses in 1890 i can attatch a picture of the map if you cant see this
kind regards
rob

Hi Brock
I dont have any photos of Liverpool St but i had some relatives who also lived in Liverpool St in 1911, but alas i cant find anything else about them at the moment (Bull family) lived at 5 Liverpool St.
Anyway i know Liverpool St really well as i worked for WMPTE now National Express from 1980 to 1988, i walked that rd many times
if you look at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10098&ox=4260&oy=2396&zm=1&czm=1&x=348&y=33 this should point to the houses in 1890 i can attatch a picture of the map if you cant see this
kind regards
rob
Hi Rob, I have just taken a look at the map ~ thank you, it's great! I have found my old notebook out that I used to jot down things when I was questioning an elderly aunt about the family in times gone by & she told me that my great grandfather who lived in Liverpool Street also worked in the same street at a factory called Bordesley Mills which was owned by Wilkes & Mapplebeck ~ they were makers of brass tubing. The map that you gave me the link for clearly shows this works in Liverpool Street & it looks like the houses in Liverpool Street were facing this factory.
Thank you so much.

Back