• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kilby (Kilbey) Emily Ada

Brock

master brummie
Emily Ada Kilby (Kilbey)

Emily Ada Kilby was born in Deddington, Oxfordshire in 1847.
The 1871 census shows Emily working as a domestic servant in Paddington which comes under the Kensington district of London. This places her close to Edward Kensington Devonshire as he lived in the Kensington area along with his wife Maria Schild & their children. Edward was a commercial traveller.
It seems that Emily & Edward had a relationship & Emily became pregnant. She moved to live in Birmingham where she gave birth to her daughter named Ada Florence Beatrice on 14/9/1871. Emily registered the birth recording her own name as Emily Ada Kilbey, domestic servant.
The father’s details were registered as George Kenington, commercial traveller.
Emily had a son named Edward George Kensington Devonshire who was born in Birmingham on 27/5/1873. Again, it was Emily who registered the birth this time showing her name as being Emily Ada Devonshire, formerly Kilby. The father’s details were shown as Edward George Kensington Devonshire, commercial traveller.

Throughout the census entries Edward is shown recorded in his family home in London along with his wife Maria & their children.
Maria died in 1888 after which Edward can be found as a lodger in the home of the Kent family in London.

Emily called herself Mrs Devonshire but she & Edward never actually married. Sometime in the later 1870’s Emily forged a relationship with a man named Edwin Coldrick who was a widower who lived in the same street. She & her children moved into Edwin Coldrick’s home & she then began to call herself Emily Coldrick as though they were married although no marriage entry has ever been found.
Emily remained living with Edwin in Birmingham & they had three sons together, the first being born in 1876 & the last in 1886.

Until recently, we only knew of Emily having one child fathered by Edward Devonshire but I have just discovered about the birth of their daughter Ada Florence Beatrice. Previously, I thought that perhaps Emily had moved away from London on discovering about being pregnant which is when she moved to live in Birmingham. I thought that she possibly had to cope with her pregnancy & the birth & raising the child alone as the census entries indicate that Edward remained with his wife & family. The discovery of Ada’s birth obviously means that Emily & Edward continued to have a relationship resulting in the birth of their son in 1873. This has made me wonder whether any other children might have been born to them between 1871 & 1876 which is the time period when Emily seems to have begun living with Edwin Coldrick.
It’s difficult to search for births as Emily adopted the use of different surnames but if anyone has an ancestor in their tree who was the son or daughter of Emily Ada Kilby I would be very grateful please if you could make contact with me so that we could share information & learn from each other.

Thank you.

Back