• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

Another Good Read !

I recently finished reading Old Soldier Sahib by Frank Richards. Frank, from South Wales, joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in 1901 and his description of his life from then on makes fascinating reading. This was the sort of soldiering that led Kipling to write ". . . . why, single men in...
  2. M

Electric Service

My Dad's trade was Automobile Electrician and he was always talking about when he worked at "The Electric Service" between the wars. Can anybody tell me where the Electric Service was ?
  3. M

Birmingham University Rag Day/week

I'm surprised to find there's no mention of that Day of Mayhem known as Rag Day on the forum ! I remember, probably mid 50s, I was in a bus going up Corporation St and the traffic was hardly moving. One of the passengers asked the conductor what was causing the delay and he said "Oh, it's Rag...
  4. M

Irving Street

My mother was born in 1917, her memory is a bit dodgy but in conversation recently, she talked about a pub across the road from from where she lived as a child,which was number 73 Irving Street. I'd like to search for a picture of this pub but don't know the name of it and Mom can't remember...
  5. M

Pat Roach

I notice there's a book called "Pat Roach's Birmingham" and am thinking of buying it. Have any of you good folk read it ?
  6. M

Handsworth Old Boys FC.

I have a picture of Handsworth Old Boys Football Club, taken in the early Thirties, (I think). I recently found out that the team was - C.SHAW, J.JENKINS, W.BUFFERY, A.HYDE, A.CHADWICK, A.SCAMP, A.HARVEY, H.HUMPHRIES, B.SIMMONS, W.TIPPER, E.GILL and W.WILKES. I am not in a position to post the...
  7. M

The Olive Branch

One of the reasons I recently joined this site was because I have a photo of the gravestone of an Edwin Dodd, "of The Olive Branch, Birmingham". The photo was taken in Crewe. Having used the search engine I've confirmed that it WAS a pub. Also on the headstone is a memorial to a son who was...
Back