• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pat Roach

maypolebaz

master brummie
I notice there's a book called "Pat Roach's Birmingham" and am thinking of buying it.
Have any of you good folk read it ?

Not yet, but it should be good. He was/is (?) a decent, if a bit rough, character who I met once on a call. He certainly knew the darker side of the City, the Fewtrell lot and the other 'gentlemen' .............

maypolebaz One of our members was a friend of his from the old end. I will write and ask him if he has the book. Pat Roach a big man with a big heart.

Pat is buried in Bromsgrove Cemetery if he as a grave stone and you would like a photo I will go along and take one for you......

I notice there's a book called "Pat Roach's Birmingham" and am thinking of buying it.
IHave any of you good folk read it ?
If It's written and published by the same people who wrote the books about Eddie Fewtrell, and Seamus Dunleavy,....Dont bother! as they must be the worst publications on the planet. Anyone who has attempted to read them, will understand what I maen.

Will always remember one of his last interviews with Ed Doolan when he said he always cried when he heard Danny Boy.

Pat is buried in Bromsgrove Cemetery if he as a grave stone and you would like a photo I will go along and take one for you......

That's very kind of you but please don't go out of your way.

The book is written by Pat Roach and Shirley Thompson so hopefully it will be a bit of an autobiography.

hi maypole
i knew of him an the associates of the othe names that are mentionioned and yes gg he used to cry with danny boy
i would like to track down his book as i would find it very intresting as i woul be very eager to find out excatly whom he as mentionioned
with is book i got to know him and certain people even seamus ; now that would definately be very intresting t me ;
i will keep my eyes open for these books
t sems very strange of late ;with these names coming from the past years because my wife had a e mail out the blue yester day
it was frm a very old school friend from her young school days and they was very good old frieds whom knocked about together
and she aske her to come to a reunion at st johns school and church in ladywood
and she asked my wife if she was married to me [ her words was astonian ] and she said she his married to albert mousdale
whom is the albert mousdale that his grand father was the chiefe fire officier in birmingham many years back in time
and albert and myself are also old school friends from or school days and we played foot ball in the nic nack yards of ladywood
it was a big yard with entrys to stour street and spring field street and cope street there used to be a big gang of us ; along with
joy whitehouse ; the jinks twins and a whole rake of kids and of coures ginger ; from the news agents in cope street whom played the lead in a film about the poor kidsof ladywood and the gang whoalso starred the villain alan coughmam in the film turned to god ; so you see i said it was strange all these old names coming out like they have done today of people i knew very well best wishes astonian ;;

so thats why

I'll have a few Amazon vouchers coming my way at Xmas so I reckon I'll get Pat's book.
Astonian, that Chief Fire Officer you mentioned, would the name be Mosedale ? There used to be a family opposite us called Mosedale and one time I read in a book about a fireman called Mosedale getting the George Cross, or Medal, for bravery after he'd tunnelled under a blazing gas main to reach some people who were trapped in the Blitz. When I asked my Dad about it he said that he was Arthur Mosedale's brother.

Hi,

When I worked at the 'Met' in the 70's and 80's Pat had a yard near the Swan Pub, selling
vans and commercial vehicles. He was often to be seen striding up the Washwood Heath Rd.
A big man, and well respected.

Dave

Hi Mayplole
yes it was mousedale; the chiefe fire officier my friend i mentionioned is is grand son;
wnom contacted my wife and apparently my wife is on there wedding photo and it was his wife whom contacted her to asked
if she his married to me ; astonian; her friend is monica richards whom maried into the albert ; the grand son to the chiefe ;
afew years back now it was put on the forum about he chiefe and his book ;
but since the hi jack alot of stuff as gone missing ; but i dare say in the future at some pont some ones momoirs will ssevice
at some point and all this missing stuff will come to light at some point; still not to worry may pole slowly but sure these pics
are slowly coming back bit by bit and and coming on ;
have yourself a nice day and best wishes to everybody . astonian ;;

yes he did it was wellinton rd winson green; wellington rd is facing winson green gaol and as you walk down the rd it was a bending rd
it was about half way down on your left just pasing the left hand side of the rd of house ; in the sixtys and seventys
and he was still wressling as well at the same time down walford rd old roller scateing rink
best wishes astonian;;

Got to thinking how come he was buried at Bromsgrove did he have a connection with the town? or did he end up living here does any-one know?

yes he did it was wellinton rd winson green; wellington rd is facing winson green gaol and as you walk down the rd it was a bending rd
it was about half way down on your left just pasing the left hand side of the rd of house ; in the sixtys and seventys
and he was still wressling as well at the same time down walford rd old roller scateing rink
best wishes astonian;;

hi astonian
ive just been reading this thread and was a little stuck on the road name you mentioned.
im from the green and lived five mins walk from the prison went to foundry road school.
i dont remember a wellington road but i do remember a wellington street.
it sticks in my mind because across the road from my old school was and still is a large park and play area and wellington street was the other end of the park and i remember it being full of scrap metal dealers
I hope you dont think im picking faults with your posting as itsthe last thing i wont to do
celia

hi ceiala
no i am wrong i stand corrected it was meant to be wellinton street i hould have said you are quite correct
as i was dashing to type it out as i had to dash off agaist the time to travel to reddich to pick the wife up from dancing ;
yes it was definakely wellington street do you recall the old bus terminus at the bottom of the srret just across from the old rail way pub on the beging of foundry lane i worked at avery scales myself with uncle billy smart ;
best wishes astonian;;

Alan we had our little dog off Pat Roaches cousin. The lady who died would have been his aunt. Did Billy Smart live in Holte Road married to Nancy?. Jean.

hi jean ;
billy married a lady called maud ;and i think it was his brother joe whom married nancy whom lived down by pat roach as i recall
yes billy and joe came from holte rd billy married my dads sister and got married from white house street
afew doors from chinnies ; and they had there reception in elliot street school i was there page boy with three brides maids
there story was published in the evening mail many years ago and it also said how they met at the coffee house on aston cross where she worked when they was both very young joe and billy both worked at the birmingham bottle exchange which was run and owned by a soliciters
then he left joe there and moved to avery scales and then moved into the church on lodge rd as the care taker and joe lived by pat ;
best wishes astonian; alan ;;

Back