• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Speedy23

Beat Girl - Real Rock'n'roll

Hi all I've been watching channel 81 "Talking Pictures" and recently saw the film "Beat Girl" 1959...what a fabulous soundtrack! The John Barry 7 were really good - there's some rock'n'roll classics on this - here'e the theme tune which recurs throughout the film (later covered by the Damned...
  2. Speedy23

Watched Threads

Does the little pair of specs next to a post title in the list mean that someone is reading that thread???
  3. Speedy23

British Pathe Film Catalogue Released To Youtube

Hello all Not particularly to do with Birmingham, but the entire British Pathe newsreel catalogue (85,000 films) has just been relased via Youtube. As would be expected, there's lots of historical material from the last 70 years of the 20th century. Something for everyone HERE. Enjoy S23...
  4. Speedy23

BCT bus routes to Ward End 1960's.

Just been looking at Horsencart's Fare Stages etc. thread - it got me thinking - when I was a child in the early 1960's living in Warstock we used to visit relatives who lived on Washwood Heath Road just opposite a pub (think it was the Swan, just down from Lime Tree Rd.). We used to go on the...
  5. Speedy23

Who remembers the "Miskin Men"?

My Mom still calls the dustbin a "miskin" and the bin-collectors "miskin men". Is the word still in common use in Brum? I understand it's a really old term dating back to Anglo-Saxon times, being used to describe a dung-heap as early as the 900s. "Miskin men" were night-soil collectors - not a...
  6. Speedy23

Aerial Photographs - Britain From Above

This should be worth a look - it's an archive of old aerial photographs. Have fun. https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asearch/advanced
  7. Speedy23

Midland Red Depot - Bull Ring Centre

Hi - I was walking down Dudley Street the other day and passed the old Midland Red Garage. It looks as if it's been incorporated into the new Debenham's building. I remeber how the enclosed bus depot used to fill up with diesel exhaust fumes :sour: and how you could go through into the...
  8. Speedy23

New online archive

Hi all - Network Rail has just put up a new online archive of historic railwayania (documents, plans, drawings and photographs) here: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/virtualarchive/ . As yet, there is very little content but the archivist is busy populating the site so expect some Birmingham...
  9. Speedy23

Found an interesting old bike website

....It's here: https://www.classicbikersclub.com/ A good read - there's some nice articles on old British bikes but also some "foreigners" as well. Have fun.
  10. Speedy23

Birmingham Industrial Exhibition Broad Street

Does anyone remember what I think was an Industrial Centre or Exhibition (not to be confused with the Museum of Science & Industry in Newhall st) next to the Birminham Municipal Bank building at the end of Broad Street opposite the Hall of Memory? I remember going in there in the late 1960s...
  11. Speedy23

Events at Embassy Sportsdrome, Walford Rd.

Edit - this thread is about events held at the Embassy. There’s a thread exclusively about roller skating at the Embassy on the thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/embassy-roller-rink-walford-road.3431/ Anyone remember the Embassy Sportsdrome in Walford Road or...
Back