• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Industrial Exhibition Broad Street

Speedy23

master brummie
Does anyone remember what I think was an Industrial Centre or Exhibition (not to be confused with the Museum of Science & Industry in Newhall st) next to the Birminham Municipal Bank building at the end of Broad Street opposite the Hall of Memory?

I remember going in there in the late 1960s and looking round an exhibition of machine tools and the like. IIRC, the statue of Boulton & Watt used to be outside - or is my memory playing tricks?

What's it used for now?

Thanks.

Hi Wendy - thanks for getting back to me - no, it wasn't Bingley Hall - that was on the other side of Broad Street - I remember it well - the Boys & Girls Exhibition, etc. This place was definitely on the same side of Broad Street as the BMB and very near to it as I remember.

Cheers

Here is one picture of bingley Hall
Sorry posted before i saw your reply

BH19842520x.jpg

Hi
I took part in exhibitions at the Industrial centre on a couple of occasions in the late 70s, exhibiting Fastener making & cleaning machines. I was under the centre & I also remember the cafeteria where the Tiswas people used to chat about the forthcoming shows. Chris Tarrant & Sally James were there along with Bob Carolgees.
it was an ideal place for smaller companies to show off there wares. All the plant I exhibited was imported from Italy, Spain, Germany & Belgium. The hardest part was getting the machines in to the hall which had an entrance at the rear which was very tight for the stuff to be unloaded & moved in---happy days.
The company I worked for then was Clark International Machinery in Coventry, I had a great time working for Alan.
It was also the Chamber of Commerce in the offices above I think.
Look forward from anybody who remembers our exhibitions.Cheers
Dave

Back