• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BCT bus routes to Ward End 1960's.

Speedy23

master brummie
Just been looking at Horsencart's Fare Stages etc. thread - it got me thinking - when I was a child in the early 1960's living in Warstock we used to visit relatives who lived on Washwood Heath Road just opposite a pub (think it was the Swan, just down from Lime Tree Rd.). We used to go on the bus - but I can't remember which bus we used to get. I am certain we used to go into town on the 24 and then get another bus that used to go to Ward End. Anyone remember what the route number was? I'm pretty sure it used to go past Saltley gas works. Also have vague memories of getting the No. 8 then changing but not too sure about this. Is there a map of BCT bus routes from this time?

Thanks

It's bbeen the 94 for as long as I can remember but that doesn't stretch back to the 60s. And the 93 used to run a similar route. Also the 26 and the 72 go or went passed the swan.

It's bbeen the 94 for as long as I can remember but that doesn't stretch back to the 60s. And the 93 used to run a similar route. Also the 26 and the 72 go or went passed the swan.

What years are we talking about MWS only the 56 went past the Swan (which was opposite Common Lane)in the 60s.

As I said 70s earliest for me. My mom seemed to think that they were running before that but she's could easily be mistaken.

AFAIR it was the 56 which went up the Washwood Heath Rd and the 14 and 55 which went up the Alum Rock Rd. I left the area in '62.

Thanks very much everyone - yes, it was the 56 we used to catch from Union Street (thanks again brumgum).

Thanks very much everyone - yes, it was the 56 we used to catch from Union Street (thanks again brumgum).

:friendly_wink: Nostalgia is good for the soul methinks (when you get to a certain age anyway:dejection:)

Back in the 60´s I remember the 56 having a female conductor (not many in those days) who was always very jolly, smilling etc she was small in statue and wore glasees. As a young boy she let me print off my own ticket

The male conductors seemed to move on to drivers more money i suppose, also the female conductors wore their ticket machines high above their waist´s and the men espically the younger ones had them really low down by their knees.

I remember the 56 going up Union street bus stop was outside the Tax office up to top of the road and turning Right into Corporation street that was 2 way traffic if i remember.

Back in the 60´s I remember the 56 having a female conductor (not many in those days) who was always very jolly, smilling etc she was small in statue and wore glasees. As a young boy she let me print off my own ticket

The male conductors seemed to move on to drivers more money i suppose, also the female conductors wore their ticket machines high above their waist´s and the men espically the younger ones had them really low down by their knees.

I remember the 56 going up Union street bus stop was outside the Tax office up to top of the road and turning Right into Corporation street that was 2 way traffic if i remember.
IMG01446-20131005-1344.jpg IMG01449-20131005-1348.jpg
Took this at a bus event last week, fits this thread nicely:emmersed:.

Castalla, my exhusband was a conductor on the 56 who went on to be a driver and my sister was a conductress.
I think the conductress you refer to must have been one Kitty Walker, a really friendly lady who worked on the 56 for many years.

You are quite right about the low ticket machines, possibly thought it made them look more trendy,LOL.

Last edited:
Alberta would not of know the conductress´s name like we never knew our Teachers first names yes she was very friendly always had a smile on her face (i can see her now)

Funny how we can remember thongs from the past that brought a smile to your face but can´t remember yesterday´sevents

Yes, it was the 56. The city terminus was outside Henrys in Union Street......before the Tax office was there.
I used to work at the Employment Exchange near Washwood Heath garage. Kitty was a well known local character.

Back