• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Beat Girl - Real Rock'n'roll

Speedy23

master brummie
Hi all

I've been watching channel 81 "Talking Pictures" and recently saw the film "Beat Girl" 1959...what a fabulous soundtrack! The John Barry 7 were really good - there's some rock'n'roll classics on this - here'e the theme tune which recurs throughout the film (later covered by the Damned would you believe??) - that gets the juices flowing allright!

It was so good I bought the entire album as an MP3 download off Amazon for not a lot of pennies - some iconic tunes as well as the "Beat Girl" stuff - remember the "Juke Box Jury" theme (Hit or Miss) and "Walk don't Run"? Real value for money!

Have a listen if you like R'n'R - well worth the time.

Last edited:
Some time ago we got all our 45's down from the loft. They range from the late '50s to the early '70s. Some are in better condition than others as we used to take them round to friends houses and to parties didn't we? Some of them still felt sticky and I think it was probably beer! We also found some of my mother-in-laws 78's. Aldi were selling a record player a while back and we bought one of these. Not a good sound but very reminiscent of the one I remember. Last night we took it to a friends who'd got their discs down from the loft (complete with dust and sticky deposit - but they were all in their covers!) Walk Don't Run included, and we spent the evening playing them and talking about record shops, venues etc. My favourites were and still are the Everly Brothers. Nobody does harmony like Don and Phil. We often find some really good records in charity shops now and my husband reckons that people of our generation are downsizing (or worse) and their collections are ending up there.

My wife downloaded the music from "Beat Girl" for me a couple of years ago, great stuff ! I remember watching the film, we thought it was tripe at the time but we all loved the music.
I'm another Everleys lover, as well as the harmonies, they did some great cover versions of tracks like "Rip it up".
I was listening to an early Carl Perkins album recently and recognised some of his guitar breaks as ones that I'd heard on Everleys tracks. They must have nicked them from him !

Hi all again -

Baz, talking of “nicking stuff” how about this –
In 1939, Solomon Linda recorded a song “Mbube”, also known as "Wimoweh" for the South African Gallo Record Company.
In 1960, the John Barry 7 recorded “Rockin’ Already” – the “B” side of “Hit or Miss”.
In 1961, the The Tokens released the English version of “Mbube” as “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” when it became a number one hit in the United States.
Notice anything?
So maybe not so much “nicking” as “seeking inspiration”…….?
Nonetheless, all good music! Enjoy!

Last edited:
My wife downloaded the music from "Beat Girl" for me a couple of years ago, great stuff ! I remember watching the film, we thought it was tripe at the time

After watching the film on Talking Pictures, I bought the DVD/Blu Ray BFI version. I thought it was a very interesting film that was very near the knuckle in places - especially the striptease scenes (that immediately earned it an "X" Certificate over here and got it banned in France). It is very corny in places - but with some great performances from Oliver Reed gurning, ogling and generally looking out of it, Terry Nelhams (otherwise known as Adam Faith!), Christopher Lee and of course Gillian Hills, pouting and sulking away for all she's worth. If she hadn't become a pop star in France, I think she would have been up there with Diana Dors, Belinda Lee and the rest. She was also in "Blow Up" and "A Clockwork Orange". Anyway, I like tripe!

Last edited:
Back