• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. T

Wellhead lane buses

Can anyone please identify the two buses (probably Daimlers) behind CVP 172 Thanks for any help
  2. T

Bus stops

We all know Red plate was compulsory; Blue by request. However, can anyone give information on a yellow plate.It has been on my mind that I did see one. It was exactly the same as the blue ones except yellowish. It was mounted on one of the old poles, that is on top, I think there was no to/from...
  3. T

Log 302

Just watched a BBC program called WPC 56. Shortly after opening shots 3002 shown running along street. Glad to see City of Birmingham emblem on side BUT route destination 11 CITY. Believe series set in mid 50s. At least they could have had a better route destination. Also later rear...
  4. T

Mof 215 (3215)

Does anyone have a really good picture of this bus in service hopefully in BCT colors. I have the front number plate which I would like to restore and put on one of my vehicles. At least I'll have a memory to my old bad days in the 50's and 60/s Birmingham probably riding in on the 18 route. I...
  5. T

A mystery to solve

This picture has me puzzled. I believe I know the location, perhaps all the experts can ease part of my mind. However, the second part of the puzzle is more difficult. What is 1525 doing? The wonderful "Service extra" is of no help, and I have discounted one place it may be off to. Again, I...
  6. T

Where is This... 137

Somewhere I think we've all seen, although not as long ago as when this picture was taken.
  7. T

Birmingham in the Electric TramwayEra

I have a a spare copy of this, if anyone is interested. All I ask is that I be reimbursed for postage (from Canada), and a suitable donation be made to the web-ring.:canadaflag:
  8. T

bus restorations

This may be of interest to those following the trials and tribulations of BCT restorations: https://busrats.com/busrats.html
  9. T

BCT garages

Some time ago, one of our members posted a narrative and pictures, then and now of BCT garages. There did not appear to be a mention of Birchfield Road Garage, which was considered a satellite of Perry Barr. I do remember this garage. Could someone fill me in with a little more information...
  10. T

Where is This 109

Should be quite an easy one this. The scene is slightly altered today, but the weather probably remains the same.
  11. T

Goe 504

Anyone got suggestions why this bus has "Super 8" as the destination?
  12. T

Aog 679

Picture of Bank bus with a suspicious looking character trying to be nonchalant. Garage escapes me - possibly Highgate Rd?
  13. T

Carpenters' Arms - Adelaide Street

Anyone remember how wonderful this pub was in the late 1960's, when it was run by Bill & Brenda Penn? Fantastic beer, wonderful food (for that time) and a "genteel" atmosphere. Visited it last time in UK and so sad it has gone downhill.
  14. T

old maps

I recently acquired the following: Second edition 1905 - City center ditto East division, Birmingham not dated but believe 1905 - New St Station/Horsefair/Holiday St/Bull Ring not dated again maybe 1905 - St. Bartholomew Ward 1918 - City Center 1918 - area around...
  15. T

A bit of fun

Here is a picture of OV 4491 taken in 1947, parked at a BCT garage. OK then, which garage?? Let's see how many guesses it takes before someone gets it right. ONE guess per person please.... Sorry no prizes available...:)
  16. T

Where is this 43

Two pictures, both of termini of the same route, although not taken on the same day.
  17. T

Last Ladywood Tram?

While going through some old photos, I found this one. Am I correct in believing this is a shot of the last Ladywood Tram? There are a lot of "big-wigs" from Congreve Street!! Third from the left is Tommy Hayes, I believe and right in the middle is my Dad, W.A.J (Bill) Mitchell. From the looks...
  18. T

Birmingham Buses prior to WMPTE

Some of you may have been aware of a phototopic site maintained by Kevin Saunders titled "Birmingham - The Electric 50's". Sadly Kevin passed away some years ago. However I am pleased to say that his widow has forwarded to me all his archived material and photos. There is a substantial amount of...
  19. T

Birmingham Trams

Some of you may have been aware of a phototopic site maintained by Kevin Saunders titled "Birmingham - The Electric 50's". Sadly Kevin passed away some years ago. However I am pleased to say that his widow has forwarded to me all his archived material and photos. There is a substantial amount...
  20. T

Bus transport charity Kithead Transport Trust

This may have been posted before, but it only just came to my attention. www.kitheadtrust.org.uk
Back