• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is This 109

tardebigge

BCT Fan
Should be quite an easy one this. The scene is slightly altered today, but the weather probably remains the same.

Attachments

• Selly Oak.jpg
    Selly Oak.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Tardebigge,
Isn't it at Breedon Cross, the bus running anticlockwise round the Outer Circle, out of Pershore Road into Fordhouse Lane?
Happy New Year by the way.
Peter

All I can say is part of the photo looks like Kingston Hill Coventry Rd, but the bus and the rest of the photo doesn't match in with that. So I'll have to give it some more thought, before that just as a wild guess is it War Lane Harborne.

Phil

tardebigge
I'v missed our where is this questions, I would say its Harborne Lane & Gibbins Road Selly Oak by the bus garage.

From the bus to the back of the photo as it were, it really does look like the canal bridge near gibbins rd. but I cant recall the scene in front of the bus.

I THINK IT IS OAK TREE LANE by the bus garage just by WIGORN GaRAGE which is on the right hand side
icon7.gif

Last edited:
Congratulations Bob. Yes, it is indeed by Selly Oak Garage. you notice that Oak Tree Lane is now 1 way in the opposite direction. Here is the full picture..

Attachments

• Selly Oak Selly Oak Bus Depot.jpg
    Selly Oak Selly Oak Bus Depot.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tardiebigg And Bob ,
First Of All Tardie Great Pic I Wouldnt Have Thought It Was Oak Tree Lane,
But Yes Of Course It Was Good Old Bob Beat Us To It Yet Again ,And When I Read He Reconised Wigorn Garages On The Left ,I Knew He Was Correct , Because The Owner Of Wigorn Garages , And The Whole Family Are Very Good Freinds Of Mine Old Jack The Owner Moved FromDown FromThere To Pershore Rd Selly Park After A Couple Of Years Old Jack Died His Wife Knew A Thing Or Two About Cars And She Carried His Name And Bussiness On For Years And Sadly She Died About Two Years Ago,
And Now John Is Only Son Is Still Trading HIS Fathers Bussiness In Cars Still At The Same Premises His Father Bought And Jhn Now As His Own Son And Wife Doing The
Family Bussiness Of Wighorns Garage And John His Teaching His Son, Old Jacks Grandson The Trade TheyAre A Great Team Thanks Bob For Mentioning Wighorns Garage And Tardie For The Picture , Seasons Greeting ASTONIAN ,;;

Well, that one had me fooled. I thought Selly Oak, the factory on the right (Birmingham Battery?) the houses climbing to Gibbins Road and the bus depot just off shot, but I never saw it with traffic flowing like that. It's always been a one-way system to me. That must be early 1950s, just after the Bristol Road trams finished.

Back