• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A mystery to solve

tardebigge

BCT Fan
This picture has me puzzled. I believe I know the location, perhaps all the experts can ease part of my mind.
However, the second part of the puzzle is more difficult. What is 1525 doing? The wonderful "Service extra" is of no help, and I have discounted one place it may be off to.
Again, I leave it to the experts to get their brain cells on it.
Shall await responses with interest

I guess they are all at the bus museum Tardebigge. It is the two museums day today. But guess you knew that?. Hope you solve your mystery. Jean.

Sorry tardebrigge i cannot fathom it out :confused2:maybe lloyd or phil will work it out .
ragga :)
jean ........ the two musuems meet up is tomorrow , Monday !!

I believe that at the time 2942 was a Cotteridge based bus and 1525 a Harborne bus and I suspect that the photo was taken at Cotteridge with 2942 on a 41 or 45 service and 1525 possibly an extra on the 11 service. Hope this helps.

Sorry Novelty, I don't think Cotteridge had traffic lights, however 2942 was Cotteridge based and 1525 Harborne based; but if 1525 Harborne based, which supplied stock on the 11 why "Service Extra"?

Really baffled by this one - too little background to tell - just trees. The telegraph pole has me confused, as well - I don't think I remember them within the city boundary.
There are two more buses hidden by 1525, so quite an intensive service.

OK,seems to have everyone baffled, so here is my theory...
After tram withdrawal in 1952, Cotteridge route 45 ran down Pershore Road to Belgrave Road,up Belgrave Rd to Bristol Rd, then to city. As the turn from Pershore Rd to Belgrave Rd was very sharp, the curb was cut back, as evidenced by 2942 and others in the picture. As there are passengers on 2942 it must (in theory) be heading into town.
1525 is a different story. Although we may never know the real answer, I believe it has also run a 45 Service extra into town and is, when the lights change, going to turn right back onto Pershore Road and back to Cotteridge. This picture may have been taken very very early after tram withdrawal and Cotteridge did not have its full complement of Guys, so 1525 may have been a loaner from Harborne. Notice that it seems empty, the driver is in summer uniform = July 1952??
There seems to be a "new front" Guy or Daimler right behind it.
That is my best guess.

nice pic and i love a mystery but this one is way out of my league..hope you guys get to the bottom of it...

lyn.

Hallo Tardebigge, I don't think that's right either. For the first few years of its life 2942 was a Selly Oak bus and that advertisement on the side of the bus was not put on until about 1955. You are correct however, Cotteridge didn't have traffic lights. It certainly is a mystery.

Hallo again Tardebigge. I notice that both buses have semaphore indicators and I think that the suggestion that they are providing a service to Villa Park has some logic. All of the passengers on 2942 seem to be men and 1525 could be returning to the city after dropping its passengers at Villa Park.
Still haven't a clue where it is though so hopefully someone can put us out of our misery!

A thought, looking at the photo that could be a exit from a works and they were works service Buses traffic lights as buses were turning on to a Main road

Last edited:
Novelty... I missed the ad on 2942, so as you say it must be later than 1955. However, did'nt the change from semaphore signals to flashers occur before then
?
Would 2942 have been transferred to Cotteridge by then with 2941-2943 from S/Oak I wonder?
Guess this mystery will never be solved...

Last edited:
well guys;
i think this is abit of a waste aint it there aint no clews it could be any where ; even if you know the model busses there was plenty about in those days it could be any where you want it to be to be honest there aint no scenery to take note of
only the person whom put it on the thread must know with its caption ; our friend lloyed might know the bus model but come on two lamp post to show ; the mind bogels astonian

Novelty... I missed the ad on 2942, so as you say it must be later than 1955. However, did'nt the change from semaphore signals to flashers occur before then
?
I was working at A T Gittings about 1958/9 then Lucas Gt Hampton Street Service Depot. We were still converting vehicles from Semaphore to flashers then so Semaphore could easily have survived 1955.

It was for me nobody commented on my suggestion in 10 hours Astonian

Just a suggestion , could it be bromford race course on race day ,
I remember seeing service extra buses when the racing was on .
ragga :)

Hallo Tardebigge, I would say that when 2942 was transferred from Selly Oak to Cotteridge it would have had flashing indicators. Living in Northfield and therefore travelling to town on Selly Oak buses I was very upset when a lot of our Guys were transferred away and replaced with more dreadful Crossleys We lost to Cotteridge 2914-2920, 2940-2943 & 2962-2965, also 2966-2969 to Quinton. Clearly someone in the allocations department didn't like us.

Back