• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Last Ladywood Tram?

tardebigge

BCT Fan
While going through some old photos, I found this one.
Am I correct in believing this is a shot of the last Ladywood Tram? There are a lot of "big-wigs" from Congreve Street!!
Third from the left is Tommy Hayes, I believe and right in the middle is my Dad, W.A.J (Bill) Mitchell.
From the looks on the faces of the Congreve St. bunch they must have followed the instructions on the ad top right of the tram.

Last edited:
31st August 1947, tardebigge. Some of the youngsters are in open-neck summer shirts so I'd think this was the last car - it looks like one of the ones painted all-over grey during the war. Shame we can't see the number. Great photo, thanks for posting it!

Crikey Tardebigge, your Dad W.A.J. Michell? I was a junior clerk at Congreve Street from 1959 to 1962. It was after being hauled over the coals by your Dad for poor attendence at evening classes provided by the BCT to gain Clerical Grades Exam passes that I decided to leave and go on the platform at Midland Red. Sadly, as he explained they didn't want people interested in buses only people prepared to be Local Government officers. On that basis I might as well been in any other department of the Corporation. I did thoroughly enjoy my time at Congreve Street working with friendly people I still remember so well.
Mike.

Back