• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. N

Lawson Elsie Frances

I am having a great deal of difficulty trying to ascertain when Elsie Frances Lawson died. She was born in 1885 to Sarah Ann and Ernest Worsey. She married George A Lawson in 1915. From the electoral registers, I have discovered that Ernest Worsey was living at 5 Thimble Mill Lane in Aston...
  2. N

Worsey Joseph

Joseph Worsey married my great aunt Eliza Herodias French in 1887. Eliza's mother was Sarah Ann Worsey, previously French, maiden name Taylor. Although her husband, Ernest Worsey, had a brother, Joseph, it seems unlikely that Eliza would marry her mother's brother in law. The Worsey family were...
  3. N

The Vine, Blews Street West

From other threads concerning Blews Street west, I gather that The Vine was at number 1 Blews Street West. Does anyone know if any images of the area are available in the late 1890's are available anywhere. Also does anyone have any idea which brewery owned The Vine. If it was Atkinsons then...
  4. N

The Golden Cup, 26 Willenhall Street, Darlaston

I know that this is not strictly Birmingham, but wondered if anyone could give me any information about this pub, and whether there are any photographs of it in existence.
  5. N

Marriage (Legal or Illegal)

Can anyone tell me if it was legal in 1899 for a man to marry his late brother's widow.
  6. N

Handsworth, Staffordshire

I have recently acquired the 1911 census form for James and Lilian Bowker, who lived at 4 Weston Avenue, Handsworth. I was born and bred in Handsworth, and I do not know where this was, however, I believe that it could be in what is now known as Smethwich. Can anyone enlighten me as to where...
  7. N

Weston Avenue, Handsworth, Staffordshire.

The 1911 Census shows that at 4, Weston Avenue, Handsworth, staffordshire, James Bowker and Lillian Bowker lived. Lilian Bowker was Lilian Loveridge before her marriage and she was born on Black Patch Park, Handsworth/Smethwick around 1892. The 1901 Census shows that she and her parents, and...
  8. N

Letters Of Administration

Recently, whilst in Birmingham Library I looked up the Letters of Administration granted to my great grandmother, Sarah Ann French, in October 1880. Her late husband left no will. He is stated to have left less than £450, though I am sure I saw one person who had left less than £100. Were there...
  9. N

Coal Merchant

My Step great grandfather was a coal merchant, living at 204 Pitsford Street, Hockley, Birmingham. His name was Ernest Alfred Worsey, and I believe his business was known as Worsey and Sons. My great grandmother died whilst they were living at this address in August 1900. Can anyone tell me what...
  10. N

Rose and Crown, Hingeston Street

Can anyone tell me which brewery owned The Rose and Crown in Hingeston Street, Hockley around 1880, and also which brewery owned it at the time it was demolished in the early 1970's
  11. N

Grove Vale, Great Barr

I realise that this may need to have been directed at a forum that deals with Staffordshire rather than Birmingham, but parts of Great Barr are now in Birmingham. My grandfather, Harry Robert Wynniatt lived in Grove Vale from around 1905, until about 1818. I know that he was shown as a Coachman...
  12. N

The Vine, Blews Street West

Does anyone have any information about this pub. My great grandmother lived therein 1891 with her husband Ernest Worsey whose occupation is shown in the census for that year as Licensed Vctualer, Pub. The address was apparently Number 1 Blews Street West. Is the building still there. I know the...
  13. N

Public/CommonGraves

My great grandfather originated in a village in Northamptonshire, and moved to Birmingham in the late 1870's where he is recorded as a beer retailer at a pub. His widow carried on as a beer retailer at the same address for another three years. She remarried and moved to another pub, where her...
  14. N

Green Street (Deritend ?) Birmingham 12

Can anyone please find out for me if 24 Green Street Birmingham 12 was or is a pub. My great grandfather Robert French (who moved to 110 Hingeston street, sometime after 1877) lived at the above address, and he was a brewer. Thanks
  15. N

Pubs in Hingeston Street

Can anyone tell me if 110 Hingeston Street was a pub and if so what was its name. My great grandmother, Sarah Ann French, lived there in 1881, and her occupation was quoted in the census as retail brewer.
Back