• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Letters Of Administration

Nodrogw

knowlegable brummie
Recently, whilst in Birmingham Library I looked up the Letters of Administration granted to my great grandmother, Sarah Ann French, in October 1880. Her late husband left no will. He is stated to have left less than £450, though I am sure I saw one person who had left less than £100. Were there certain levels under which the letters of administration were granted, (i.e. can we assume that less than £450 menat less than that but more than the previous lowere figure.)

From A dictionary of Genealogy
ADMINISTRATION – Letters of. When a person died intestate i.e. leaving no will the next of kin or a close friend or creditor was supposed to apply for letters of administration of the Estate. Unfortunately in the majority of cases where the estate was small and there was no doubt as to who should inherit, no application was made so no record remains. Where letters were sought, the applicant had to swear that there was no will, that he would pay all funeral expenses and debts, administer truly and submit a true inventory and account of his stewardship. The court granted the Letters and entered the Administration Act, in Latin until 1733, into a register, sometimes in the same book as its Probate Acts. The Court might require the administrator to enter into a bond to administer the estate faithfully, in which case a copy of the Act was enclosed on the bond document before it was filed.

Back