• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Vine, Blews Street West

Nodrogw

knowlegable brummie
Does anyone have any information about this pub. My great grandmother lived therein 1891 with her husband Ernest Worsey whose occupation is shown in the census for that year as Licensed Vctualer, Pub. The address was apparently Number 1 Blews Street West. Is the building still there. I know the Globe at number 35 is still there.

Blews St West was not connected to Blews St. You obviously know where Blews St is. Blews St West was renamed Rosebury St between 1897 and 1899 and was off Camden St and Clissold St, although the 1892 Kellys lists it as off All Saints St. Possibly Clissold St was once part of All Saints St. It can be seen on the 1890 OS map at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10087&ox=2865&oy=2622&zm=1&czm=1&x=273&y=412 . The Vine is marked PH on the corner. It disappeared between 1899 and 1900.
mike

mike thanks for that info....i always assumed that blews st west was connected to blews st....

lyn:)

Thanks so much for this information. This ties in nicely with the rest of the information I have for that time. I certainly couldn't understand why they had moved to where Blews street is. It would be helpful if you could find out how long after 1891 Ernest Worsey was still at The Vine. Very many thanks.

Ernest worsey was still listed there in 1899 before the Vine disappeared.
Mike

Thanks for the info re: Blews Sreet West, Mike, I didn't realise that! I have ancestors living in Blews Street NORTH in 1871 - was that also in All Saints?

charlie
there is no Blews St north listed in either the 1868 or 1872 kelleys, so this was probably really part of the plain blews St
Mike

Back