• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs in Hingeston Street

Nodrogw

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone tell me if 110 Hingeston Street was a pub and if so what was its name. My great grandmother, Sarah Ann French, lived there in 1881, and her occupation was quoted in the census as retail brewer.

hi nodrog
it was a small dwelling house for retailing beers and later became a off licence premises
it was the bottom end of the street i think it was around the early 1950 that the the house
trading and some-one was still living in it the front window of this house was a very small window
the oriningional pane of glass was still there along with the orininal cardboard advertising
the front window was never cleaned it was filthy may be because its been empty that long
and nobody living here for years
best wishes Astonian

The 1880 Kellys shows : 110 French Robert, beer retailer. but by 1883 it has become a newsagent. In the 1871 census it is listed as a pub. The name is not clear, but may be Rose Tavern or Hove Tavern. See below:

mike..it looks like rose tavern to me...it would have only been a few doors up from the rose and crown where our dad lived as a baby....be good to find a pic of it but may prove difficult...

lyn

The 1880 Kellys shows : 110 French Robert, beer retailer. but by 1883 it has become a newsagent. In the 1871 census it is listed as a pub. The name is not clear, but may be Rose Tavern or Hove Tavern. See below:

it looks like rose and crown to me :)

you are right chris...it does look like it says the rose and crown now ive looked at it better....only thing is the rose and crown was at no 126 not 110...

lyn

Lyn
I missed something. I usually look for changes in numbering, but didn't this time. Between 1880 and 1883 the numbering was changed from consecutive up one side, down the other to odd one side, even the other.This means that what was 110 became 126, which is labelled as beer retailer with Robert French in 1880 and Mrs Sarah ann french in 1883. Sorry about that
Mike

well what a coinsidence...nodrogw i hope you catch up with this thread as it now seems that your great grandmother and my dad both lived at the rose and crown..dad was there in 1929...as you know there is a pic of the rose and crown on the hingeston street thread...thank you mike i did wonder about the numbering as i thought it would be unusual to have two pubs so close together....shera you were right as to what it said on the census...

lyn....

hi guys
i beg to differ but this house was about half way from the the rose pub
and the corner of ickneild street on hingestion street
walking backwards from the rose a few yards keeping to the same side of the rd you would cross the
george street west corner and on that corner more or less in line with the rose was the news agents
and still keeping on the hingestion street between there and afew more yards you would be atthat little house
a little tiny window all dirted over and oe or two cardbaord cutting left from its hey day
that would have been 110 hingestion st and the beer retailor still postioned to the building
best wishes Astonian ;;;

Actually Lynn there were two pubs close in the street in that period. In 1880, when the rose 7 crown were at 110, there was The Laurels at 125. In fact when I first checked after your comment, i thought 125 might be a missprint for 126 and the pub had changed its name.
Mike

hi mike...although dad was actually born at the globe in hospital st they moved maybe only a couple of weeks after to the rose and crown and for some reason on his birth cert put down his place of birth as the rose and crown 126 hingeston st...1929...

lyn

I hope this is the right place to ask this. Is it possible to find out if Robert French was in the pub trade before he went to Hingeston Street. I have traced him up to 1851 in Northamptonshire when he was about 11, but I can find nothing for 1861 or 1871. I know he was living in Birmingham by 1877. If anyone can help, I will be most grateful. Thanks

Have looked at the directories, and can find no mention of him in 1879 or before
Mike

Back