• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Worsey Joseph

Nodrogw

knowlegable brummie
Joseph Worsey married my great aunt Eliza Herodias French in 1887. Eliza's mother was Sarah Ann Worsey, previously French, maiden name Taylor.
Although her husband, Ernest Worsey, had a brother, Joseph, it seems unlikely that Eliza would marry her mother's brother in law. The Worsey family were quite extensive. One section of the family were involved in boat building. If anyone can throw any light on where this Joseph Worsey fitted into the family I would be most grateful. I should point out that on his marriage certificate, his father is shown as Peter Worsey. Ernest Worsey, Eliza's step father also had a father called Peter Worsey. It is all so confusing.

Apologies if you have this already.

A quick look seems to reveal that Eliza Herodias French was born Eliza Herodias Taylor, the illegitimate daughter of Sarah Ann Taylor, registered Brackley Sep qtr of 1870.

Sarah Ann Taylor married Robert French, registered Dec qtr 1873 Birmingham. There's a death registered for a Robert French Jun qtr 1880 Birmingham aged 40.

Will have another look for the Worseys.

Thanks for this. Robert French was my great grandfather and Sarah Ann Taylor my great grandmother. On the marriage certificate for Eliza Herodias, her name is given as French and her father's name as Robert French, but this is not born out by her birth certificate. Sarah Ann Taylor/French married Ernest Albert Worsey in 1883. He had a father Peter Worsey, and the Joseph who married Eliza had a father shown on his marriage certificate as Peter Worsey. There were a lot of branches of the Worsey family, many of whom were boatmen or boatbuilders. Thanks for looking this up.

Interesting stuff. I've had another root around and I'd say that Ernest and Joseph may well have been brothers. I can't find any other suitable Joseph Worsey lurking about, I couldn't find a birth registration for him either though.

And you probably already know these...

Peter Worsey and Louisa may have had another son named Ernest, there's a baptism at Tipton in 1864.

There's also a marriage of an Ernest Albert Worsey (father Peter) and Mary Ann Hands, Jun qtr 1879 Walsll. A son George Hands Worsey, Mar qtr 1880 Walsall. Mary Ann Worsey's death also Mar qtr 1880 Walsall, aged 20.

1871 for the Old George inn, Hampton Lane, Darlaston has a Peter Worsey, Beerseller
amongst children are Ernest b. 1854 and joseph 1863.

Thanks for your replies. I have now learnt from another member of the Worsey family that Joseph was indeed one of ernest's younger brothers. I have a copy of the marriage certificate for him and Eliza, and after their marriage they had four children, Beatrice, born in 1888, Edith born 1892, Daisy born 1894 and May birthdate unknown. The 1901 census shows that they all lived together in West Bromwich. Eliza died in 1906, and I have been unable to trace anything further for Joseph or the children. Surely there must be death certificates somewhere. I suppose Joseph could have emigrated, but surely we would find a passenger list somewhere. Any further help will be much appreciated

There's a death registered for a Joseph Worsey in West Bromwich 1909, the age is slightly out but might be it.

There's also a marriage registered Dudley for a Beatrice Worsey to a John Lappage Dudley 1906. And in 1911 Beatrice is living in Tipton with her husband, a daughter and a sister May.

Thanks for this. I will arrange to get a death certificate for Joseph to verify if I have the right one. There is a variation between dates of his birth so it could quite possibly be him.

Back