• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did she fall or was she pushed?
My sainted aunt!
I wonder who these people were? e.g.
For Pete's sake:)
Dolly Dimple
Dolly Daydream
Janey Flippet,
Irish friend said Janey Mac, and sometimes followed by me shirt is black.
Pregnant Annie
Fat Annie
Mad Anna
Fanny Ann
Plain Jane
We had half a crown Lil, and a fag ash Lil, at work, neither were christened Lil though.
Dirty Gertie from number 30
Nice one Cyril
John Bull
A proper Charllie
A right Herbet
Whispering Jack Smith
dont bring me into it:grinning:

Cogito, ergo sum
or
je pense, donc je suis

To quote my friend old Rene Dustcarts who actually quoted it in Latin originally and today, although it is a bit black over the back of Bill's mothers, there is enough blue sky to patch a sailors trousers. Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs. But do not worry; Semper Fi (I think I have been watching to much NCIS)

Bob

Cogito, ergo sum
or
je pense, donc je suis

To quote my friend old Rene Dustcarts who actually quoted it in Latin originally and today, although it is a bit black over the back of Bill's mothers, there is enough blue sky to patch a sailors trousers. Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs. But do not worry; Semper Fi (I think I have been watching to much NCIS)

Bob
or too much R. Lee Ermey Sargent Oorah

My mom and dad often said "let the dog see the rabbit" if we were in the way.
Or "Can't see the wood for the trees" when we didn't understand parent logic.
If a person appeared whilst or shortly after my mom spoke about them she would say "talk of the Devil"
I recall an expression something like, "arley up"to ask for a pause in a game. Only heard it in Brum.

Happy days.

Just heard a lovely expression on Endeavour about an undesirable person, the likes of him are nine to a pound and sh£t's tuppence! Which the charachter said was a Northern expression.

If I offered to do something too late when I was asked, grandad would say, Too late, too late, he's done it in his hat!
When my friends came round Nan would put out the nice cups and saucers and grandad would say, is the queen coming to tea?" She would take a mug for herself and say, " a mug for a mug."

i noticed that this Grammarly has not got a clue what we Brummies are talking about, it tries to correct our words into other none related words,,,i typed Gorping .(to look) and it wanted to change it to groping.

They say that Einstein’s spelling was bad, so there is still hope for you Pete. Look forward to your next theory.

gorp /görp/ (N American) noun
A mixture of raisins, nuts, etc providing a high-energy snack for eg hikers

ORIGIN: Origin uncertain
gorp a variant (dialect) spelling of gawp
[Chambers Dictionary (iOS) © Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd.]

It was quite common in the past to write M like that, Europeans often formed letters and numerals differently to the UK. I guess the most obvious is the figure 1

View attachment 142594
I have great problems reading hand written French as, as you say they write completely differently. My late mum in law had a beautiful copperplate type handwriting, I could read that. Also their hand written numbers are very hard to decipher they have the same problem with mine, so I print, and say it verbally. Any long number they want it in two's like twenty three, fifty eight, I struggle with that when it's a phone number.
Back on topic, Nan said yow might as well enjoy yerself lad yowm a long time dead.

As black as club ten
I baint az green az I am cabbage looking
Erz a bit green around the gills
If I dared laugh at nan's expense she would say, yow'll be laughin up the other side of your ferce if yow keep on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back