• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of disgusting food, look no further than that eaten in the field by the army of the 1960s. Those of a certain age will remember Composite Rations, or Compo, as it was called by its victims. Compo had a number of horrors, probably the worst was Mutton Scotch Style, or "Mutton Jock" as it was called in the day.
Rumour was rife in those days of a bloke who had dug into a tin of the aforesaid delicacy and came up with a complete sheeps eye, hanging by its blood vessels, on the end of his fork. Imagine, at night, on a blacked - out gun position, eating out of a cold tin of Mutton Jock and chewing on something that suddenly went "pop" in your mouth. Disgusting.
Food & Compo - Page 2 - BFG/BAOR Locations

That's worse than pet food, Baz - I would have starved to death given that! I did my National Service in RAF (1955-7) and our cookhouse food left something to be desired, so most of my money was spent eating egg & chips in the NAAFI. At least you could see it being cooked in front of you!

Maurice :cool:

When I was a Lorry Driver had to go to Grimsby quite often delivering stuff for the Oil rigs.Used to take a list to get fish ( mostly Cod) for the other drivers.Would watch the men fillet the Cod while I waited.Then they would pack it in Ice to keep it fresh.Always tasted so different.And the price was so cheap compared to shops

March 53 to March 55, basic at Honiton, trade training at Taunton, shipped out from Arborfield to Egypt, back from Egypt to South Benfleet in Jan 55.

Looooooove fish roe in any form. We used to get both soft and hard roe from a shop at the junction of Kingstanding and Dyas Road in the 50s and 60s. Soft roes on toast - delicious. If I served that up to my family now they’d all heave! My daughter loves the hard roe though, so we two sometimes have that together. Viv.
Fish roe on toast! :)

Looooooove fish roe in any form. We used to get both soft and hard roe from a shop at the junction of Kingstanding and Dyas Road in the 50s and 60s. Soft roes on toast - delicious. If I served that up to my family now they’d all heave! My daughter loves the hard roe though, so we two sometimes have that together. Viv.
Reading this I did heave,, I hate fish roe....yuk, by the ay I have decided that two thirds of our meals in future will be vegan, so tonight we are having sausage, mash & peas.
Bob

Working in Kanazawa Japan in the 1980s we went to a mid-day meal in the company dining room. The starter was some soft quite large white spherical things floating in a clear liquid. Using my chopsticks I chased a white blob until I caught it and put it in my mouth where it slid down my throat. I immediately wanted to retch and had to take a large gulp of whisky to hold it down. I asked what they were and our japanese hosts said the meal was Shirako and the white spheres were reproductive organs of a male cod fish. They really enjoyed them but I just watched.

Whelks look disgusting, but I love them and often have a pot when I go into the fish market

Alan
I have strong objections to them calling that rubbery stuff "cheese"
Yes......….Here (US) its called cheese food! I once worked for a cheese processor, you would not believe goes into that stuff, then they throw in some yellow die to make it look like cheese!

When I worked for the P Office in the early 80,Used to do nights at the depot in Fazeley St.
Some Co used to send25 Gallon Plastic containers of RED dye to the Leicester Cheese Co for Red Leics cheese.On the side of the containers was a warning.(If this comes into contact with the skin wash off immediately and seek Medical attention) This was going into into the cheese:mad::mad:

If you can manage to eat any of that sort of stuff then you will never starve, because the next stage is chipping limpets off the rocks wherever there is some seawater ! :) OK for crab bait, but that's about all.

Some things are best left in the sea. Quite a few Brits here will eat squid or even octopus, very few will tackle cuttlefish cooked in their own ink. My answer to all these things is "Yuk!"

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:

The Lobster Quadrille

"Will you walk a little faster?" said a whiting to a snail,
"There's a porpoise close behind us, and he's treading on my tail.
See how eagerly the lobsters and the turtles all advance!
They are waiting on the shingle - will you come and join the dance?
Will you, won't you, will you, won't you,
will you join the dance?
won't you join the dance?"

"You can really have no notion how delightful it would be
When they take us up and throw us, with the lobsters out to sea!"
But the snail replied "Too far, too far!", and gave a look askance -
Said he thanked the whiting kindly, but he would not join the dance.
Would not, could not, would not, could not, would not join the dance.
Would not, could not, would not, could not, could not join the dance.

"What matters it how far we go?" his scaly friend replied.
"There is another shore, you know, upon the other side.
The farther off from England the nearer is to France -
Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.
will you join the dance?
won't you join the dance?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back