• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't find Jellied Eels much anymore do you? I remember my great aunt used to absolutely live for them! Is it just in London that their are numbers are suffering or is it a nationwide issue?

We always used to buy green tripe for our Rottweiller, The smell was awful but she loved it in it,s raw state. There used to be a place who used to deliver it if you bought enough so we had a little fridge for tripe only.

Do our tastes change over the years ??, as a youngster I loved buying little dishes of cockles and mussels for 3 old pence and dowsing them with vinegar in the old Market Hall, now the very thought makes me heave, same with winkles. Eric

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the sale of animal brains and the spinal cord is banned following the outbreak of Mad Cow Disease.
I remember eating brains on toast as a boy and it didn'tttttttttttttttttttt do me any harm.

I love brains on toast but the tiny bones that splinter tend to remain and you have to be very careful. You can still get pigs heads and remove the brain yourself but I have to do this when Pete is not around. He does think they are disgusting and I have to eat them when he is not around as with the pigs trotters.

Agree Jean. Love liver and green beans, interesting combo for a sarnie. Will give it a try. However, can't say the family will join me on that..... so more for me! Viv.

How strange jean, you saying that.
Guess what i had for dinner, liver, onions mash & peas

stars

Conversation at work today was about hearts - I have never tasted one, but the girls tell me they are lovely, so that will be on my shopping list!!Think I will be the only one trying them though lol.
Sue

Sue I love the taste of hearts. Stars I used to think that liver was disgusting as a child but my taste buds have changed now I am older. Maybe it is because I was almost forced to eat it as it was good for the blood [iron] and now I have a choice.

Michael and I often have liver and onions lovely done in a caserole with mashed potatoe beans or peas....yummy! I hated it when I was a child...lol

today i saw cows hearts for sale in sp*rs, anyone eat them.? i eat most strange foods,,,, but na not these.:confounded:

My mother used to cook heart sometimes, I actually quite liked it at the time!
Wouldn't eat it now as I haven't eaten meat for 30 years.

You can buy lamb's hearts which are delicious braised slowly with a stuffing inside. I have never seen cow's hearts for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back