• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the local Tesco a few weeks ago. In the 'reduced' section. Pork Sausages with Black Pudding. Couldn't resist. :)

Got to the check-out and the 'operative' viewed such with disgust.:(

Obviously not someone with 'Midlander' tastes.:cool:
i tried some from spar they were awful, tasted nothing like black pudding.

If you can manage to eat any of that sort of stuff then you will never starve, because the next stage is chipping limpets off the rocks wherever there is some seawater ! :) OK for crab bait, but that's about all.

Some things are best left in the sea. Quite a few Brits here will eat squid or even octopus, very few will tackle cuttlefish cooked in their own ink. My answer to all these things is "Yuk!"

Maurice :cool:

I agree Maurice , I dont eat squid or octopus and as for cuttlefish yuck ! haha

If you can manage to eat any of that sort of stuff then you will never starve, because the next stage is chipping limpets off the rocks wherever there is some seawater ! :) OK for crab bait, but that's about all.

Some things are best left in the sea. Quite a few Brits here will eat squid or even octopus, very few will tackle cuttlefish cooked in their own ink. My answer to all these things is "Yuk!"

eat it yuck.i tryd it once,and heaved1581493289522.png

Maurice.nothing nicer than fresh crab from Folkstone Harbour.Even selling Spider Crabs. Legs now.

Some years ago went on holiday to West Bay Dorset.Saw a fisherman with lots of crabs on his boat asked him if I could buy one of him.He gave me a huge Spider crab for free.After walking away suddenly remembered we were holidaying in a caravan and had no POT to boil him in.So gave it him back.He then gave me just 3 spider crabs legs.These I could boil.Delicious.

Maurice.nothing nicer than fresh crab from Folkstone Harbour.Even selling Spider Crabs. Legs now.

Some years ago went on holiday to West Bay Dorset.Saw a fisherman with lots of crabs on his boat asked him if I could buy one of him.He gave me a huge Spider crab for free.After walking away suddenly remembered we were holidaying in a caravan and had no POT to boil him in.So gave it him back.He then gave me just 3 spider crabs legs.These I could boil.Delicious.
when we had the hot summer in 2018 there was hundreds of them things caught,by the fishing boats. they would give you as many as you wanted.free. they even got washed up on the beach. they looked like some thing off (war of the worlds)
:)

i did notice that edifi. i loved them with corned beef on a sarnie. Now i buy red onions, they keep. as for cheese, "bung my dad called" it, gives me terrible nightmares.

like red onions, sliced finely, put in a saucepan with bit of water and a teaspoon of sugar, bring to the boil, strain pop into a clean jar cover with white vinegar, i keep them in the fridge, they keep their lovely pink colour and are lovely on a sandwich with ham or beef etc
Now a nice king prawn, a crab leg or, when my ship comes in, some lobster. is a different thing altogether. Yummy! :)

I am on the same page Maurice, love prawns and used to sit and eat crab on a saturday afternoon with my dad when i was a kid. Delicious..

But the meat in the Legs is Delicious when boiled ,with some nice bread and butter on the side.Oh and a glass or 2 of wine

I remember when I first moved to Dorset in 1961, we used to get large crabs for £1, but you can't get large crabs for any amount of money in more recent years. They've been overfished and never get to reach maturity these days. Over here in Crete many people eat what translates literally as "little fishes", like tiny sadines or whitebait. I don't like them myself, but wonder if these are merely baby fishes of some species or other that are killed before reaching maturity. I will make enquiries.

The Med in general is overfished and I never see any enforcement as to what size or species of fish are landed. Admittedly these are small fry (to coin a pun) compared with these large Dutch stunning trawlers that have come about in recent years.

Crabs can live in sea water and no water but not stale or stagnant water. I once attended a trawler in Brixham harbour which had a couple of holds full of crabs. Unfortunately the pumps had failed on the vessel and the crabs were in water which was not circulating or refreshed with new. The fire service were called to pump out the stale water in the holds. The trawler owner gave the firefighters a couple of dozen or so of these crabs as a goodwill gesture - although he had to pay the county for the work.
I went to the fire station and found that these crabs had clambered out of the provided trays and were moving around the station floor - deciding which was was home I guess. :D Luckily fire appliances have protective gloves so they were easily caught.

thanks baz .my dad eat a stinky bung called gorgonzola. yuk
Smelliest cheese for me is Esrom or Vignotte. Lovely flavour though except I can no longer eat cheese. Allergies come with age. And the only thing I miss is cheese.
I got off the bus once because of the smell, I thought it was the lady in front of me. I had bought those 2 cheeses from the deli at lunchtime, I double wrapped them in foil and then in my plastic sandwich box. I didn't realise till I got off that it was my cheese. My partner's mum kept hers in the garage/cellar.

Smelliest cheese for me is Esrom or Vignotte. Lovely flavour though except I can no longer eat cheese. Allergies come with age. And the only thing I miss is cheese.
I got off the bus once because of the smell, I thought it was the lady in front of me. I had bought those 2 cheeses from the deli at lunchtime, I double wrapped them in foil and then in my plastic sandwich box. I didn't realise till I got off that it was my cheese. My partner's mum kept hers in the garage/cellar.
"I thought it was the lady in front of me":joy::joy:. I cant eat it at all now, it gives me night terrors, even when i chomp it in the day. I told my doctor i dream of horses, "dont worry he said they are only nightmares"

Most disgusting food for me chitlins not sure if that is spelt correct. The smell was awful and I have a strong stomach
I had to get out of the house when Mum cooked them and the look of them well what word can you use to describe them
The other food that i found disgusting to look at was Grits loved by some in the South of the USA. The put them with cooked breakfast. its like putting porridge with bacon and eggs all on the same plate..
My husband tried them with a breakfast and he put sugar on them which put me off trying them all together.
Worst thing I ever tasted was andouilette in France. Cow's intestine. It smells like and taste like poo, We were in a hotel with a set meal. I took one mouthful and ran for it. I was sick in the loo and I ordered a brandy to wash it away. I shudder at the thought. It stayed up my nose and in my brain for a week. It's still there 30 years on.My partner's cousins often order marrow bones and they give them a little thing like a cake fork to scoop it out. It reminds me of dog chews we used to get here, for the dog! I did try calves' brains, they were OK but I didn't like the thought of eating them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nico,

My Greek son-in-law's father has a long heritage of being a sheep farmer & cheesemaker, and every time we go up into the mountains to visit him we end up with a complete wheel of hard cheese, as well as feta, wine and olive oil. The wheels of cheese are kept outdoors in a small shed, which just comprises shelves and shelves of cheeses. My son-in-law will select a nicely matured one for us and it comes and gets put on the top shelf of the fridge. When you are in the shed, with all the air circulating around it, you don't notice the smell, but for weeks afterwards the fridge stinks to high heaven. Very nice cheese though, and being sheep's cheese rather than cows, I don't have the same intolerance as I have to milk and cow's cheese.

Nico,

My Greek son-in-law's father has a long heritage of being a sheep farmer & cheesemaker, and every time we go up into the mountains to visit him we end up with a complete wheel of hard cheese, as well as feta, wine and olive oil. The wheels of cheese are kept outdoors in a small shed, which just comprises shelves and shelves of cheeses. My son-in-law will select a nicely matured one for us and it comes and gets put on the top shelf of the fridge. When you are in the shed, with all the air circulating around it, you don't notice the smell, but for weeks afterwards the fridge stinks to high heaven. Very nice cheese though, and being sheep's cheese rather than cows, I don't have the same intolerance as I have to milk and cow's cheese.

Sheer envy. I tried goats' cheese. I might have another go at Mozzarella. I can't eat white rice white flour,white pasta, cheese, chocolate, crackers, flapjacks or sweetners. But I miss cheese.

I hate hot marshmallow, I used to do a half hour detour in a spanish resort to avoid the smell of the hot marshmallow waffle stand. And I hate tarragon and lager. I love everything else it just doesn't love me.

Sheer envy. I tried goats' cheese. I might have another go at Mozzarella. I can't eat white rice white flour,white pasta, cheese, chocolate, crackers, flapjacks or sweetners. But I miss cheese.

I hate hot marshmallow, I used to do a half hour detour in a spanish resort to avoid the smell of the hot marshmallow waffle stand. And I hate tarragon and lager. I love everything else it just doesn't love me.
My condolences Nico :cool:

Nico,

Dairy products used to give me horrendous migraines and I was taken into hospital several times - it was that bad. It took an allergy clinic to find the cause. As soon as I stopped having milk it was like turning a tap off. More than a couple of slices of cow's cheese can be a big problem, but I can eat any amount of sheeps cheese without problem. Most of the feta available in supermarkets is a mixture of sheep and goats, and not appealing to anyone that likes sharp cheese. Find a deli that sells pure sheeps feta and try a little of that. Goats cheese on it's own is very sweet and I can't stand it. But everything is worth a little bit of experimentation.

I get migraines too. Much less since I worked in an office on a screen. Dark chocolate gave me them too and too much ground coffee. I will try. Lack of air and too many scented candles get me and jasmine joss sticks. I was given a soup hamper for Christmas and I could only eat two of them as they contained wheat flower and rice and pearl barley. (Nan called that Pearl Bailey!) I didn't risk the barley. I sieved all of them out and hoped for the best.
My partner and family love curry, so do I but I get migraines with that, like a severe hangover. I have not deduced what it is. I can eat dry tikka and marsalas and cumin, but I suffered for years.
I met my birth sister this year, one of them, she can't eat any wheat and they are all migraine sufferers so it must be hereditary. But they don't have my other food allergies. Strangely, and luckily for me I can eat brown soda bread and porridge. I am not a celiac. The dietician was pretty poor and actually getting to see one.(4 Years). Thank you Maurice.

Penny winks (periwinkle), from the Kings Hall Market. Came in a little triangular bag and a pin. Took an hours or so to eat them, quite an acquired skill to get the whole thing out of the shell. You sort of unscrew it out
I posted this before somewhere, but Gran loved shellfish, someone used to bring her winkles wrapped in newspaper, an actual newspaper, she used to take a long U shaped riveldy hairpin straight from her hair and eat them, wipe the pin on her mouth then stick it back in her hair. Then read the newspaper and moan if it was an old one. Nan used to shudder when I told her. I said granny you will get germs, she replied as she did to everything, oh it don't matter.
I never thought of a winkle since or any shellfish but what I think of Gran. I ate one, in France to please my partner's mother, she laughed and said I was to take the little round disc off the end, part of the winkle. And a whelk, a sea almond too. Just one to please her. An oyster, bluurgh. I refused the razor shell. She used to order big plates of shellfish, cooked and kept warm on a wire frame a bit like a lampshade. The smell of it all and hot prawns, make me retch, crab, sea spiders she said, a half tortu de mer, weren't turtles at all but crabs again thankfully. I do like Coquille St Jacques though and mussells. Even frogs legs but not snails. But I tried at least.

Worst thing I ever tasted was andouilette in France. Cow's intestine. It smells like and taste like poo, We were in a hotel with a set meal. I took one mouthful and ran for it. I was sick in the loo and I ordered a brandy to wash it away. I shudder at the thought. It stayed up my nose and in my brain for a week. It's still there 30 years on.My partner's cousins often order marrow bones and they give them a little thing like a cake fork to scoop it out. It reminds me of dog chews we used to get here, for the dog! I did try calves' brains, they were OK but I didn't like the thought of eating them.

Ughhh it sounds disgusting I dont know how anyone can eat intestines ...

That's worse than pet food, Baz - I would have starved to death given that! I did my National Service in RAF (1955-7) and our cookhouse food left something to be desired, so most of my money was spent eating egg & chips in the NAAFI. At least you could see it being cooked in front of you!

My friend stayed at a Premier Inn and another friend used to be a chef at one, he used the term chef loosely as everything he says is microwaved and he as a trained chef had to go on a microwave course. Anyway. our friends were refused scrambled egg as they hadn't come in yet. On enquiring, it seems the scrambled egg comes in a sealed bag and is dried or frozen. When she finally tasted it, it was vile.
I wonder if that is what they served in the war years.

Always liked Brawn & Aslet on a Sat night.Now it's Mussels in a drop of vinegar.

I have never tried brawn Edifi but I loved haslet when I was a kid, even went out of my way to try to get some when we came over in 2001 haha

Working in Kanazawa Japan in the 1980s we went to a mid-day meal in the company dining room. The starter was some soft quite large white spherical things floating in a clear liquid. Using my chopsticks I chased a white blob until I caught it and put it in my mouth where it slid down my throat. I immediately wanted to retch and had to take a large gulp of whisky to hold it down. I asked what they were and our japanese hosts said the meal was Shirako and the white spheres were reproductive organs of a male cod fish. They really enjoyed them but I just watched.
I had it explained to me in France re some fish roe, and the male reproductive bits, la rogue et la lette, I am guessing at the spelling and which is which but they tasted good.

can you still buy fish roe?
My Brummie cousin from Yardley Wood has moved to Devon. She said Fish and chips for 2 cost them £17. I get a small box of chips and a tinned roe for £1.30. I love roe. My partner serves it cold too in oil and vinegar salt and pepper, I am hungry now.

hi. to day i bought some cross buns from asda. they was like a lump of un cooked dough, do you have to put them in the oven?
are they partly cooked, or just horrible?
I was tempted to try a gluten free one but they are like bean bags. You could kill someone with one.

My Father used to bring home a pigs head.

He would boil for it hours and hours, then press the meat for his sandwiches for work.

You could get the head at the butchers for nothing, they said nobody ever wanted them.

I believe it was known as chawl...
Tried pressed pigs snout in France, museau. Excellent. My sister says they sell little cakes called nun's farts in Canada. I have never tried one of those!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back