• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ROBERT JONES Lyndon Road

What are you meet ups about
We usually meet at the Bull, Price Street in Birmingham.

A good chat, a drink (coffee in my case), lunch. Catch up with old friends and meet new members who come along. Oh yes - a raffle to raise some funds for the running of the site. Members donate prizes, buy tickets, pick their prize(s). In other words a nice social occasion.
People travel from around the country to join us for a few hours.
Dates and times are posted on the Forum and all are welcome. The last meet was the first one since before covid.

MWS and I were there amongst a host of other members.

A good chat, a drink (coffee in my case), lunch. Catch up with old friends and meet new members who come along. Oh yes - a raffle to raise some funds for the running of the site. Members donate prizes, buy tickets, pick their prize(s). In other words a nice social occasion.
Dates and times are posted on the Forum and all are welcome. The last meet was the first one since before covid.
That sounds really nice

MWS and I were there amongst a host of other members.
Oh ok so you and MWS know each other

Did we find any children for Jane/ Jennie Jones, Williams sister

There are no children for her listed on those scans you posted.

Marrying in 1938 and dying in 1939 doesn't give much time, unless she had illegitimate children before she married. There's only one Richards/Jones child registered between her marriage and death but there are many Richards/Jones marriages in the years before so no way to know if that child is hers.

Nothing to do with you. Jane/Jennie was probably dead before the 1939 register was taken. And Merionethshire is nowhere near Merthyr Tydfil.

Just spotted a write up of Jane's wedding to William Richards in the Merthyr Express 8 Oct 1938. Mentions Arfon (gave the bride away), Idwal (best man), Thelma Jones (flower girl) and Arthur Owen Griffith (pageboy).

The latter is listed as nephew of the bride but the use of nephew seems to cover a wide range of relations and as she had no sister he was probably a bit more distant than what I would call a nephew.

William Thomas Richards was a few years older than Jane, b1883 d1957 I think.

Just spotted a write up of Jane's wedding to William Richards in the Merthyr Express 8 Oct 1938. Mentions Arfon (gave the bride away), Idwal (best man), Thelma Jones (flower girl) and Arthur Owen Griffith (pageboy).

The latter is listed as nephew of the bride but the use of nephew seems to cover a wide range of relations and as she had no sister he was probably a bit more distant than what I would call a nephew.

William Thomas Richards was a few years older than Jane, b1883 d1957 I think.
Thats fantastic thank you will see if I can find it.

I found it on findmypast. Narrowed the search parameters to Merthyr Tydfil (place) and Oct 1938 (date) and then searched for William Richards. Idwal Jones or Arfon Jones should also find it.

I can only see search results not the scan so don't know the page number.

William

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230511-063257_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20230511-063257_Messenger.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 4
Some more Jones relations mentioned there. No child mentioned though, so it does seem likely she didn't have any.

Some more Jones relations mentioned there. No child mentioned though, so it does seem likely she didn't have any.
Yes I was thinking that,just need to connect these people to her,some I know others I don’t,they could be from the Williams side but I don’t have anything on Sarah’s siblings

I can connect some names together though not to Jane yet.

Auntie Maria is Maria Jones (nee Davies) the mother of Ken, Gwladys Griffiths and Blodwen Evans, and grandmother of Arthur Owen Griffiths (pageboy).

Maria Davies was the wife of an Edward Thomas Jones and they came from Denbigh/Montgomeryshire. The likely connection would seem to be through Edward and Jane's grandmother, Margaret Jones but her father is a William and Edward was illegitimate and his grandfather was a Thomas.

If William and Thomas were brothers I think it would mean that Gwladys and Blodwen would be the same generation as Jane so 'cousins' and Maria, their mother, 'auntie' but that's a pretty big if.

Idris Edwards (nephew) of Queen's Terrace appears to be the nephew of her husband, birth registered with mmn Richards, so you can ignore him.

Back