• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Things you said when you was a kid

What about, "Er's blarting her eyes out" when someone was crying, marbles were called marleys and a slice of bread was called a piece. Did "tell it to the marines" originate from the war? I understand some American soldiers told fantastic tales of their homeland and made enpty promises to the girls they met, which some believed to their cost.

I'd forgotten about 'blartin' - great innit
icon7.gif
I think it was sometimes doubled with 'greetin' in our house-hold ''We'll have no blartin' and 'greetin' in this house''! There was another name used for a sort of semi-sobbing/moaning/whinging-on, 'grizzling' - which is I suppose similar to 'griping' ...although that might really refer to 'teething pains'? My father sometimes called it 'snot-grobbling' or 'snot-grobbeling/groveling'? Anyhows, we didn't do a lot of either, as it invariably lead to something worse, and then real tears!

We also had : ''for two pins I'd tan yowa hide!'' - I avoided 'hide-tanning' wherever possible
icon12.gif

How about aya as a greeting, used to hear it all the time, but you only hear it up north nowadays, seems to have died out in Brum.

Must admit I still used the word Blartin with my kids when they started.

The more you think about these things the more you remember. Jubblies, pineapple rock, shrimps, mojos, kayli (that might not be spelt the right way) gobstoppers, bulls eys, pear drops, liquorice wood and aniseed balls come to mind and if pocket momey stretched I used to love Tiffin Bars but I have seen them in years. We used to get money if we took pop bottles back to the shop, Tizer. Ice cream Soda and Dandelion and Burdock and we would buy crushed crisps from the outdoor (off license) for 1d. Everyone had a milkman and skimmed milk was unheard of. Bread was often delivered too and beer, my father had a little crate of Davenport's every week. Isn't it fun recalling it all and reading other's memories as well?

Hi jubblies were nice,but how often did you push it out of the packet just a bit to much and it ended up on the floor lol,liqurice wood,loved it,the chippy by us sold batter bits 1p a bag,and the little shop used to stamp there pop bottles, so you would only take back, what you bought from her,problem with the baker if you just had a loaf a day on order, when he came with all those
lovely cakes in his basket,your bill went sky high

Sweet way to go gay ? No wonder they stopped selling !

3 kinds of goodness ? After every meal ?

Remember the welfare clinic dentists ?

Sweet way to go gay ? No wonder they stopped selling !

3 kinds of goodness ? After every meal ?

Remember the welfare clinic dentists ?
Frys i remember them yum,you can only get chocolate cream
and peppermint cream now, and spangles where did they go

hI guys
i remember being told and i think it was used quite often in my youger days
If you do not shut up and go away you will be seeing stars------now shut up .
spoken to by parents
best wishes Astonian ;;;

I remember saying " I'm leaving" I was about 9. Mom said "go on then, and don't come back." I got as far as the bottom of the entry.

Terry

Not so much a saying, but a verse...

Anyone heard this before?

Ginger nut, fell in the cut, & frightened all the fishes,
a fish came up, swallowed him up, & that was the end of ginger nut.

My wife is 7yrs older than me (mmmm!!!) & had never heard it till i said it a short while back. no-one else seems to either, apart from one person who wasn't sure.

BiLL
Hi Bill, All us kids who lived in the roads around The Swan pub, Yardley chanted that verse to red heads!!!. Len. (80yrs young)

The boy next door was Ginger and us girls always chanted that at him,had to run fast though

My Dad called cheese "Bung" and bread "Rooty" so if he asked for "Bung" & "Rooty" he wanted bread and cheese. Len.

That reminds me of a funny thing that happened to my sister,she worked in a factory in the St where we lived,the gaffer had a strange accent,he was brummie but hard to understand,he asked my sister to go to Woolworths and get a bung,she thought she had misheard because she had no idea what he meant,she said pardon (a bung a bung)wasn't one for talking,she came home and asked mom, no idea,what was he doing just before he asked,the neighbour asked her,washing his hands she said,oh he wants a plug for the sink,a bung to bung the plug hole,obvious really

The more you think about these things the more you remember. Jubblies, pineapple rock, shrimps, mojos, kayli (that might not be spelt the right way) gobstoppers, bulls eys, pear drops, liquorice wood and aniseed balls come to mind and if pocket momey stretched I used to love Tiffin Bars but I have seen them in years. We used to get money if we took pop bottles back to the shop, Tizer. Ice cream Soda and Dandelion and Burdock and we would buy crushed crisps from the outdoor (off license) for 1d. Everyone had a milkman and skimmed milk was unheard of. Bread was often delivered too and beer, my father had a little crate of Davenport's every week. Isn't it fun recalling it all and reading other's memories as well?
Don`t forget the Acid Drops!. Len.

Does anyone else remember 'brook bashing'? That is what we called a pastime whereby we took it in turns to jump from one side of the brook to the other.

Does anyone else remember 'brook bashing'? That is what we called a pastime whereby we took it in turns to jump from one side of the brook to the other.
We used to play bashes,not over a brook, just jumping off walls over walls,down steps anything that had an element of danger
attached to it

HAS ANYONE MENTIONED "MARDI"for miserable. What about starting a thread for "Dipping Songs"??EG Eeeny meeny miny mo

If I was "mahdi" Len,My dad would give me a "thick ear"

Anything to to with the 'Mad Mahdi' the 'Messiah' claimant 'Muhammad Ahmad (1844-1885)? The same bloke who eventually had his a**e kicked (albeit posthumously) by General, Lord Kitchener? I believe Kitchener had the Mahdi's tomb blown up. This earlier example of 'Islamic fundamentalism' is often over-looked as a mere insurgency against Colonialism ....whereas, it was just more of what we now now to be the same - beware! Is this the origin of the expression???

After many arguments with people from various far flung parts of the U.K i have stood firm and believe that the word 'BOMPECK' is a real word because myself and a few brunnie friends have confirmed and did use this word when we were young. any one willing to confirm that this a word please reply.....it will settle many a discussion on this matter and relieve us to know that are not making it up....I wont give you the meaning as you will know what a bompeck is already of it exists....

Kayla -welcome you,ll have no problem with the people on this forum agreeing with you i for one played on many a bompeck when i was a child. Dek

Hi Kayla, welcome. There were loads of bompecks around when I was young good play areas for us kids.

Back