• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park History

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
Anne

The cup inn c1890 one of sutton coldfields older licensed houses the present building was erected around the turn of the century. the building in the pictures was an earlier single story building the landlady
being a Mrs Ellery

Alberta did you meet him?!

My husband was a Scout Leader during the 50's and I believe he was one of the boy scouts in the Jamboree Alberta. Got a photo somewhere.
Sutton Park indeed is a beautiful and historical piece of our Heritage. I have recently been on a lovely amble around with my husband and cousins.
Anne

Royak Town of Sutton Coldfield.

Sutton Coldfield beacame a Royal Town because of Henry V111, he gave the park to the people of the town. The Red Rose emblem is to do with him too.

Brenda's comment revives this thread which was started by Cromwell and which reminds us how much we have been missing his contributions to the forum in recent months.

Chris

Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield

The red rose emblem that I mentioned was actually named the Tudor Rose.

There was a building more or less opposite to where the Police Station is now and near to the college grounds there used to be a Careers Office in the early 60's where one of these was hung. I recall a hairdresser's being named the Tudor Rose and think there was a plumbing firm and a garage with the name of Red Rose too.

Sutton Park indeed is a beautiful and historical piece of our Heritage.
Anne

How very true, as a kid along with me mates we spent day after day in the park, it was our playground, any time of the year, sunrise to sunset. We would try and get to Banners Gate before the Gate Keeper was on duty, you had to pay in those days if you didn't live in Sutton, but if he was there we just carried on past the gate along the Chester Road and climb over the fence and run off into the woods much to the disgust of the local residents, happy days.

bren

Bren, it was my playground too and what a playground we would treck through the woods, swim in Bracebridge, paddle at Keppers and swim if we had the money. The feat I remeber was trying to stay on your bike across the little bridges at Bracbridge.:rolleyes: I usually fell off. Taboggan down Holly Knoll skate on Blackroot. Fish in a punt on Bracebridge........oh I could go on forever....some say I do:(

At one time

There was at one time a small section inside the gates in the park an amusement section, with stalls childrens rides somewhat like a mini fair with food kiosks. This was the gate that ran down the road from The Parade by the indian restaurant...... Yummy me and my food.....just in case you are interested i have just had a bacon sandwich and a coffee:D
Cat.....:)..........Jealous i bet you are

Boys and aeroplanes

A memory of Sutton Park which I retain is that of Sunday afternoons in the mid to late 1940s when a large crowd of model aeroplane enthusiasts used to descend on an area of golf fairway to try out the product of their weekday endeavours. Where was it? The memory grows dim - perhaps somewhere between the Streetly Gate and Keeper's and not far from Rowton's Cottage (if that makes sense). Surrounded by expanses of heather above which the skylarks used to hover and trill. In the distance, on the other side of the adjacent road, was a huge tract of land still under wartime cultivation.

The aircraft were to a ten or eleven-year-old a wonder to behold. All made of balsa wood and covered with doped tissue paper and painted in bright colours to make them easier to spot in the surrounding vegetation. No replicas of real aircraft; they were just designed for flight as gliders or propeller-driven machines powered by elastic. Their owners, conscious of their fragility, watched enthusiastic schoolboy onlookers carefully and warned them off if there appeared to be any likelihood of touching.

Gliders would be launched by a tow-rope, hauled by the owner's assistant who would run for all he was worth until the plane reached its full height and then the line would detach and fall to earth whilst it went on its way. Usually the rudder would be set so that the course was a gentle circling one, ensuring that the eventual landing point was not too far distant. The more sophisticated models had a timer and after an allotted period this would displace the tail-plane and the aircraft would slowly return to earth in a slow, diving and bucking rhythm. Sometimes neither of these stratagems would work and the glider would escape and gradually disappear over a distant horizon, pursued by its owner on pushbike or motorcycle. If he was lucky he would find and recover it in a distant part of the park or even beyond the boundary, in someone’s back garden. If it disappeared without trace he would then have to rely on the honesty of the finder as, like all the other owners, he would have ensured that his name and address was clearly marked on his property.

The rubber-powered models ran the same risk, but to a lesser extent because their flights tended to be shorter and the plane was heavier and less designed to soar. The flight would be prefaced by a patient winding-up of the elastic by hand, the propeller being moved by a finger in the wrong direction, for perhaps 100 or 200 revolutions. The more organised owners would use a hand drill which locked onto the propeller and speeded up the process significantly. Sometimes the whole nose assembly would be pulled away from the fuselage whilst the frantic winding of the handle by the assistant went on. This ensured an even twisting of the multi-stranded elastic down its full length. Then the owner, holding the prop., would lift his precious machine over his head, point it into the wind and after releasing it with a gentle forward movement watch it admiringly as it whirred up into the air.

The fragile construction of these machines meant that the frequent mishaps were often serious. A major crash would be catastrophic and the destruction complete. Little would remain. The wings, which were held on by rubber bands and were designed to fly off on impact, might occasionally be recoverable but the rest would be matchwood. A less severe impact would often shred the highly-doped and brittle surfaces. But there were always another seven evenings without TV during which to put matters right or to complete the next model.

Early on there was the very occasional appearance of a machine of incredible sophistication and size with a tiny petrol engine complete with spark plug and large battery. And eventually the first attempts at a crude form of wireless and the first small diesel, both of which of course transformed the hobby in the following years. The Mecca for many of these enthusiasts was, I imagine, The Model Aerodrome at the top of Cherry Street. I used to gaze longingly in at the window of this wonderful shop and even remember seeing there a lethal looking rocket engine which was claimed to give speeds of 100 m.p.h.

Somewhere around the end of the 1940s the centre of activity was moved, perhaps because of pressure from the golf club. The approved site then became an open, bleak tract of rolling parkland near to Banner’s Gate, the old tank testing area, much less attractive and intimate but which still used to draw large numbers of participants and onlookers.

With the change of venue my interest started to fade – or not so much fade as be replaced by other priorities. Now, when I go to the summer gatherings at RAF Cosford and see a flight of Wellingtons overhead, or a Sabre performing aerobatics with even the right noise, or an exquisitely detailed Sopwith Pup, or a Lancaster with an 18ft wingspan, the days of balsa and tissue paper and skylarks hovering over the heather seem far, far away.

Chris

Catkin the fair you remember was always there when Sutton Carnival was on. This was the highlight of our year as my brothers would help with the floats. I loved the fair it was as you say just inside Sutton Gate which was where the parade of floats finished and would be judged.

Victoria road

Wendy, i lived in Victoria road at one time i think i recall (on one of the other posts) reading that you lived around the corner i know we shared the same doctors, i loved my house there and wished at times that i still lived there.
....Cat:)

Wendy, it seems as kids the adventures in the park we had was the same and we was so lucky that we was able to do it without a care, not so these days. As for those little bridges at Bracebridge, no matter how many times you missed one and came off your bike you still jumped back on and tried to do all of them as fast as you could. In the winter we used to break the ice on Bracebridge and swim out to the island, we must have been crazy, you would come out all the colours of the rainbow and people walking their dogs would just wave and asked if you had had a good swim. Have not been there for a few years but on my last visit i noticed one of the old punts that had sunk and just left in the water by the dam end, i will ask my younger daughter to have a look next time she goes. When my kids where young i used to take them regular visiting all those places that i had so much fun at and i am glad to say that they now do the same with my grand kids.

bren

Lovely to read more stories about visiting Sutton Park. I certainly did and do now when ever I come for a visit. I like the Nature Centre which is just about 300 yards from the Town Gate. I remembered this site I found ages ago about Sutton Park. Ken Max has a wonderful site about the Park and has a DVD that is available with pictures of the Park. There are some on the site and I was especially interested in the ones of the Fair inside the Town Gate. Photo of what I remember was the Dodgems, the Scenic Railway and the Crystal Palace and the thatched entrances at the Town Gate. Ken has another DVD coming out soon.

His site has a dedication to a Mr. Williams who was instrumental in researching the Park. Here is the site: https://www.dvdaspectsofsuttonpark.me.uk/Gallery One.html

I was having trouble accessing the Home Page but if you can access the first Galley then you can see the menu on the left hand side.

Hi Mike here, new to this website,great topics. Loved the one about Suton Park , spent many hour there when I was a kid, used to go for the day with my sandwich and a bottle of water. Thanks for the memory folks.

Jamboree

There was also a scouts Jamboree, the Queen and Phillip paid a visit.....CAT:)

Thanks Catkin . I just about rember the Jamboree I would have been about 12 at the time that was on. Do remember the fair at Powles pool .. Happy days

Just type Scout Jamboree in the Search at the top of the page...there is lots about the Jamboree on those threads.:)

Good old Sutton Park

I flew model aeroplanes there in the 60's and one evening while I was flying one, a cow decided to pack up eating grass and chewed the saddle off my brand new motor scooter ! I used to skate on Wyndley pool when we used to have 'real' winters.
I still occasionally visit the park and some parts of it seem unchanged.
Lets hope it stays that way.

I noticed someone mentioned the ponies that now reside in the park, a friend of mine took this for me last year, he is a keen photographer who delights in going around Brum capturing anything and everything. He had this shot in his mind for some time, just had to wait for a good snowfall and then go and find them in the park, he was trekking on foot for hours for this.

View attachment 11809

bren

Bren thats a lovely photo.........it may be worth mentioning the horses and cattle are fed!

They're Exmoor ponies, brought in to keep down the vegetation. If they can survive a winter on Exmoor, they can survive it anywhere, believe me! Sutton Park is probably like Palm Beach to them - AND they get fed, as Wendy says.
Lovely though, aren't they, and a fabulous photo.

Thank you for making it clearer to me, We see them when we go for a drive along by the river and like you say these are fed as well and have their waterproof covers over them but I do wonder if they would be better under a roof of some kind in times of harsh weather.

Ponies in Sutton Park

Nice picture from Bren of the Pony. I took a picture of one having a drink in Little Bracebridge pool. The Exmoor Ponies seem to be on the Four Oaks side of the park, and recently walking there I was surrounded by about 10 and I think they were expecting me to feed them.
Sutton_Park_Pony.jpg

Sutton Park.

:D Hi Wally B. Know Cooksey lane well. We live in Dunedin road not far from there. I love horses and when I kept two on Barr Beacon I used to go on a half day road to the park. I would meet my then husband to be by one or other of the lakes where he would be fishing. When I was very young my parents would take me to the little fair by Wyndley gate. Got some photo's of the family picknicking. I remember my dad going on the up and down horses and I screamed all the time until it stopped. There used to be a little train if I remember correctly. Happy days. :D

A Grand Day Out for us, way back when, was to walk down to Aston Station and catch the (steam) train to Sutton Coldfield. It seemed like miles from Sutton station to the Park's Town Gate, where there used to be a cafe and a tiny filling-station. If he was in a very good mood, my old man would treat my brother and I to Vimto at the cafe... Pleasure came simply and cheaply in those days, and for an Aston kid like me I could spend all day in the open 'country' air, doing nothing apart from wandering about and, on special occasions, a boat on one of the pools. Seems like another world and another life, now.

My life-long interest in model aircraft began in Sutton Park. My dad was pretty good with his hands and soon got me building aeroplanes, the biggest problem being to get them to Sutton Park in one piece - on the bus! All sorts of ingenious packing methods were tried, but as my aircraft got larger and larger the only way to the Park was by car. It's a shame that the Park has been allowed to go to gorse, as this effectively put an end to the flying of free-flight models. I tried radio-control, but this never had the same appeal for me as watching one of my models flying without any control at all - pure, simple, lovely flight.

Nowadays I have a good walk through the Park at weekends, weather and knees permitting. Model Flying seems to be on a much smaller scale than in years gone by, possibly because other and better flying-fields are now available. I certainly wouldn't risk my hi-tech contest models over there now. One very positive development was the banning of through-traffic in the Park - I remember when the Park was a real rat-run, and pedestrians walked the roads at their peril.

Hey ho!

Big Gee.

Sutton park.

:) Just found this photo of us in Sutton park having a picnic. I remember the oranges tasted 10 times better than the ones you get todat. :) TTFN. Jean.

Hi,
If you lived in the area of Sutton Coldfield, entrance to the park was free,
but we who lived in Birmingham had to pay an entrance fee, this if I remember correctly was 3d for adults and 1d for children, and they used to sell a "must have" map of of the park, at the gatehouses too.
I joined the Sea Cadets when I was twelve, my membership card allowed me to enter the park for free. I used to cycle across the park, entering by the Parson & Clark to short cut to the "Ship" which was near Boldmere gate, I only tried that once after dark, pitch black in there it was. really scary!

Back