• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

These pictures show the corner of Ford Street and the Flat (Lodge Road). Fortunately, I dont remember the first picture, and I dont want to remember the second one. Again a beautiful building replaced.

Attachments

• Hockley The Flat.jpg
    Hockley The Flat.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Paul, well I'm plodding on with the health issues, other than that I'm getting on with life which we have to don't we? Hope all is well with you and your family.

View attachment 53529
Post card of the Midland Institute.

In the book 'Images of Central Birmingham' by Martin Hampson, the Midland Institute is said to have been demolished in the late 196os; however, the photo in the book doesn't look quite like the post card to me.

Did the Midland Institute turn into the Birmingham and Midland Institute? We had our A level oral French and German exams there, though I don't remember a huge amount about the building, except a lot of dark brown wood. Much later I read that the Institute had club facilities, which sounded impossibly glamorous, and would have made you feel like like Lord Peter Wimsey!

The message on the card includes a mysterious 'Letter to follow'.

Attachments

• City Ratcliff Place BMI.jpg
    City Ratcliff Place BMI.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 7
I think these 2 postcards are classics , ive not seen them before until now .
ragga .......

Attachments

• Rednal Tram Depot Lickey Hills.jpg
    Rednal Tram Depot Lickey Hills.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Hay Mikks Coventry Rd.jpg
    Hay Mikks Coventry Rd.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 20
Love the Likey's one Ragga - brings back loads of memories but we never stopped to go into the Amusement Arcade for some reason....

The only way to go to the Lickey Hills was on the tram...prefferably an open end one...down the centre dedicated track. How the city could let that facility go I will never know. It was great and if the rest of the tram system was considered obsolete, they should at least have kept that route.

I also remember going there on the tram Rupert, gosh it was a bone shakerm, we used to giggle for England.

Paul, I also have wonderful memories of going to the Lickey Hill's at that time. There used to be a little wash and brush up place when we got off the bus/tram. We alway's went in there to titivate ourselves.

Some of the track may have been less than pristene in the later days...but no tram ride that I have taken anywhere in the world, for that matter, could possibly be described as boneshaking. All pretty darn smooth compared to double decker busses.

They can't match perfectly but for fun here are two Post Cards probably from the same photo shoot overlaid to give a Cinemascope view of Galloways Corner in the 1960's

Hi Mike,

You wouldn't have those two cards on separate scans would you, that you could put on the site?

Cheers
Humph

Hi all,

Fantastic site & fantastic collection. I've just been through all of the 84 pages ...
I'm looking for photo showing C&A in Corporation St in the mid 40s to mid 50s (Mom worked there before she had me) - I've seen several before C&A, or the other side of the road, or showing ex C&A wrapped up in plastic - anybody remember a photo with C&A in view?
I love the photo of Gorleston Rd in Warstock, Mom lived 25 yrs in ARlington Road, just next door, again before she had ME, then we moved to Northfield. Now in France, where it's sunny and hot!!

bye, Carolyn

View attachment 56457

Glad you enjoyed them Carobois ......... heres another which is new to me
sorry if its been posted before ........ ragga ....

Attachments

• City Smallbrook Ringway c1965.jpg
    City Smallbrook Ringway c1965.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 11
Some post cards found amongst a treasure trove of photos: this is the first one.

Attachments

• City Bull Ring 1919 .jpg
    City Bull Ring 1919 .jpg
    58 KB · Views: 8
The others:

Attachments

• City Bull Ring (22).jpg
    City Bull Ring (22).jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 11
  • City Corporation St 1969.jpg
    City Corporation St 1969.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 12
WHEN WAS THAT STUDY OF THE BR DONE? LEFT IS DEMOLITION. YET THE SWATHE WAS INTACT UNTIL THE MID 1950s. A MULTITUDE OF SMALL BUSINESSES THRIVED.
OPPOSITE ST MARTIN'S CHURCH, COATED IN EXHAUST FROM COAL AND COKE, WAS A VINTERS OF CONSIDERABLE ANTIQUITY.
(THAT IS DIGBETH SLOPE SAME SIDE AS THE MULTI STOREY CAR PARK MONSTROSITY MONUMENT TO INANE POLITICAL AUTISM)
IT WAS RELOCATED TO DALE END.
PRIOR TO THAT BEING RAZED.
A BOTTLE OF PORT, AMONGST OTHER DELICACIES, NOTABLY SHERRY, FROM THE MID 1700s WAS FOUND IN THE CELLAR AND GENTLY CARRIED BY HAND TO THE NEW RESIDENCE.
ASTOUNDING WHAT TREASURES WERE STASHED THERE.
THE SHOP WAS RELOCATED LATTER 1950s

Cheers Mike,

I had forgotten all about the request, so thanks for for when you do.
Humph

dont think these has been on here before .......... ragga ......

Attachments

• City Chamberlain Square Town Hall.jpg
    City Chamberlain Square Town Hall.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 10
  • City Bull Ring Market Stalls 1960's.JPG
    City Bull Ring Market Stalls 1960's.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 10
The Big Top site, corner of New St/Corporation St?. Len.

Attachments

• City New St The Big Top.jpg
    City New St The Big Top.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 9
Many Edwardian photo studios and photo developers and printers would produce double weight postcard size prints as actual postcards if required. This is a new direction for this thread which could see it carrying on for a long time to come. Going back to a place view, here is a Victorian era view of Aston Hall sent to Germany from Five Ways in 1900. As the blank side was for address only, the message is crammed around the picture!

Attachments

• Aston Hall.jpg
    Aston Hall.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 6
These are Bull st, Dale End & Carr Street on the first photo and High Street, Carrs Lane on the other. This is what I have been told anyway!

Attachments

• City Bull St Dale End High St.jpg
    City Bull St Dale End High St.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 17
  • City High St - Carrs Lane.jpg
    City High St - Carrs Lane.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 19
Not much detail on this but if anyone can hazard a guess as to where it was taken I would be very grateful, I have been told its a picture of my great great Grandad taken in Birmingham - he was born 1866 died 1944 so am guessing this would have been some time in the 1920's. Thanks!View attachment 58854

Just been catching up with this thread. Great pics. Don't the old black and white's capture the atmosphere -especially the ones with the horse drawn vehicles...Thanks all.

Florence

Back