• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Is it my computer or is there a problem with photo attachments on this thread as I cannot see any photos posted that you are talking about?

Is it my computer or is there a problem with photo attachments on this thread as I cannot see any photos posted that you are talking about?
Some of them are on the server but detached from the posts. One of these was in my post #901. I just saved it from the server, then deleted it off the server, then put it back on the server. It is now attached to the post. Quite an interesting pic if you know the present day Scott Arms junction.

It must be me I can see the photos now, has someone thrown an "On Switch" or am I going matta ( Greek for Mad!!)

Actually I did what I just said for my #901 post and can't be sure but a 'disappeared' pic in another of my posts maybe came back automatically, perhaps we are both going mad !!

Am I correct too in spotting that when I log in from certain computers (i.e at colleges and libraries) I can see the time and date apart from just the number of previous postings, and on others I can't?

The only thing I see is the words Attached Thumbnails
there are no pictures appearing for the last several pages.
I am sad to be missing what others are obviously seeing. Does anyone know what the problem is?
Amanda

Same here some of the pictures i can see others seem to have disappeared behind attached thumbnails

The only thing I see is the words Attached Thumbnails
there are no pictures appearing for the last several pages.
I am sad to be missing what others are obviously seeing. Does anyone know what the problem is?
Amanda

I get the same thing too Amanda, despite recently upgrading my system from dial-up to broadband and uploading every Windows update as it comes along. Some photos appear automatically, some appear AFTER I have signed in manually also, yet others stay stuck in the oblong box with the red marker! Maybe because in Wolverhampton and Shropshire we're in Outer Space for technology outreach!

I might just weep for the pictures I am missing. There are loads of posts after them describing their wonderful features!
I think you are right Richie we are in outer space. We cant even get Broadband where we live.
regards
Amanda

I am no expert but this may be down to web space. At the moment the admin are removing old out of date posts such as members birthdays etc. The site is massive and so we must save our history info first. I would also recommend members to check their private mail and delete the unwanted ones. The pictures may still come back as the site is 'tidied' up. Nothing from the history side of the forum is ever deleted.

It's been a while since we were out and about on here so here is an interesting view in tramway days of the 'Traffic Control' at Edgbaston Road/Russell Road. Was it the traffic island or was it the Belisha Beacons which were perhaps a novelty at that time?

Attachments

• Edgbaston edgbason Rd Russell Rd.JPG
    Edgbaston edgbason Rd Russell Rd.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Other than the tram and the 'street furniture', all of which were scrapped many years ago, this scene is still recognisable today, which is unusual for 50+ year old postcards.

Mike

Another one only a hundred yards or so down Edgbaston Road. This one has hardly changed either and would still be easily recognised.

The Entrance to Cannon Hill Park.

Phil

EdgbastonCannonHillPark.jpg

Amazing Phil, that card could still be sent today and here is another view that manages to stay much the same today except the vehicles of course. Here is a sunny day in 1940's Moseley Village.

Attachments

• Moseley Post Office Alcester Rd.jpg
    Moseley Post Office Alcester Rd.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 8
Mike

There is quite a change on this view, looking up the hill instead of down. I believe it was taken in 1880, not by me I hasten to add. This is the site of the Post Office, then Bullock & Hooper Builders.

Phil

MoseleyVillageBullockHarperWelshsHilllocationofpostofficeSailsburyRd1880.jpg

Here we have Big Brum back in tramway days when tramcars turned into Congreve Street from Edmund Street for exotic destinations down The Parade.

Attachments

• City Congreve St (2).jpg
    City Congreve St (2).jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 6
Out to Ward End now and it makes a change to be at the Fox and Goose and not see it.

Attachments

• Ward End Coleshill Rd.jpg
    Ward End Coleshill Rd.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 12
Has either one of these been on here before ??
ragga .....

Attachments

• City Bull Ring c 1960's.jpg
    City Bull Ring c 1960's.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 16
  • City Chamberlain Square 1954.jpg
    City Chamberlain Square 1954.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 12
These are really nice i love the one where the library was tucked up in the corner, i used to sit on the side of the fountain,my sister and i were in the library every week,getting our Enid Blyton books,and the next one the Bull ring a little later,i cant quiet make it out
but my friends dad had a fruit and veg stall there.

Things have changed a bit round Selly Oak way since this view was taken.

Attachments

• Edgbaston QE Hospital.jpg
    Edgbaston QE Hospital.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 10
without going through hundreds of posts, I dont know if these have been on before, apologies if they have.

Attachments

• !BrcinsgBGk~$(KGrHqEH-D8EuvhH4v!8BLzuisEF4g~~_12[1].jpg
    !BrcinsgBGk~$(KGrHqEH-D8EuvhH4v!8BLzuisEF4g~~_12[1].jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 19
  • $(KGrHqUOKo4E3uWJmlyzBN-hCnI+Gg~~0_12[1].jpg
    $(KGrHqUOKo4E3uWJmlyzBN-hCnI+Gg~~0_12[1].jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 19
  • $_57[1].jpg
    $_57[1].jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 809_001[1].jpg
    809_001[1].jpg