• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Helen, I have seen that 'summer sale' sign before on this site and think it may have been New Street but not certain....possibly about Union Passage to High Street area on New Street. There seems to be the entrance 'lead up' to a passage in the side walk which may be a clue but can not remember such to Union Passage in my time. I suspect that the passage may have been traversed by horse and cart traffic at one time. Ladies styles look about 20s maybe but gentleman looks to be about at least mid 70 year old to me; so if 1944 is right he would have lived to about the age of 95 approx. Is that the case. Great picture by the way.

With respect to Dale End/Moor St. that picture has been on here before and you can pick out the building on the map ref. below. Don't know how long that building lasted but I must have passed it on the tram and then the bus many times. Moor St. has the dashed line and I think it is the pointy corner.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10098&ox=2560&oy=898&zm=1&czm=1&x=221&y=231

These are Bull st, Dale End & Carr Street on the first photo and High Street, Carrs Lane on the other. This is what I have been told anyway!
View attachment 58852View attachment 58851

Yes, Bull St, Dale End & Carrs Lane in the mid to late 50s in the first one, and Dale End where it meets High Street at Carrs Lane in the second, in late July 1953 in this case as the last trams are moved from Miller St depot to Kyotts Lake Road workshops for scrapping - notice the overhead wire has already gone, the cars were coasting down Dale End and round into Carrs Lane on their own momentum, to where the wire was still in place at Moor Street.
Alan's gents outfitters is on the corner of both shots, but with a newer nameboard in the first one.

Position of the photographers and pan angle of shots as per the attached map.

Attachments

• City Centre.JPG
    City Centre.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
Without trawling through 1000s of posts, I don't know if these have been shown before. apologies if they have.

Attachments

• brookvale park.JPG
    brookvale park.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 13
  • perry common dovedale rd.JPG
    perry common dovedale rd.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Saltley Bowyer Rd.jpg
    Saltley Bowyer Rd.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 12
  • The Parade Sutton.jpg
    The Parade Sutton.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Ward End St Margarets Rd 1953 - Copy.jpg
    Ward End St Margarets Rd 1953 - Copy.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 13
a few more

Attachments

• park rd aston.JPG
    park rd aston.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 16
  • six ways.JPG
    six ways.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Sparkhill Showel Green Lane Womens Hospital .jpg
    Sparkhill Showel Green Lane Womens Hospital .jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 16
  • moseley 1.JPG
    moseley 1.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 16
  • moseley wake green rd.JPG
    moseley wake green rd.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 19
Astonite, I like the one of Six Ways, Aston, with what looks like a steam tram. Would it be possible to re-scan it at higher resolution?

dek carr said:
That,s a strange place to see the no2 tram is that the bottom of Park Lane? Dek
John Houghton said:
Its Park Road

Park Road indeed, Aston Parish Church at the end. This would have been late July 1953, a few days after the tramway closure - tram 659 complete with "Get your last trip" chalked on the end dash is en route from Miller St depot to Witton depot for breaking up. The destinations were simply left up from it's last service run.

Six Ways, Aston

Attachments

• Aston Six Ways 1949.jpg
    Aston Six Ways 1949.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 12
A few more to get ur teeth into ........ ragga ......

Attachments

• City Victoria Square 1937 .jpg
    City Victoria Square 1937 .jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Aston Public Baths PC.jpg
    Aston Public Baths PC.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Birmingham Bull Ring.jpg
    Birmingham Bull Ring.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 15
  • City Gas Street Basin before.jpg
    City Gas Street Basin before.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 14
  • City Smallbrook Ringway 1963 .jpg
    City Smallbrook Ringway 1963 .jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 16
Who remembers a park at Five Ways ?? , i dont ,it must have been before my time .
ragga ............

Attachments

• Five Ways Junction Late 50's.JPG
    Five Ways Junction Late 50's.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Five Ways Gardens 1935.JPG
    Five Ways Gardens 1935.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 14
You know i have often thought i remembered a little area like this at five ways but thought i was dreaming, when was it there maybe i seen it in a book, or did see it,any idea when it was

You know i have often thought i remembered a little area like this at five ways but thought i was dreaming, when was it there maybe i seen it in a book, or did see it,any idea when it was

Most of it is still there, corner of Hagley Rd and Harborne Rd/Calthorpe Rd, despite the road widening and underpass digging - the white building was a branch of the Municipal Bank.
That view is mid 1930s by the bus (Metro-Cammell bodied Daimler of c.1934-5).

try this for size

Attachments

• Aston Six Ways. .jpg
    Aston Six Ways. .jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 7
Most of it is still there, corner of Hagley Rd and Harborne Rd/Calthorpe Rd, despite the road widening and underpass digging - the white building was a branch of the Municipal Bank.
That view is mid 1930s by the bus (Metro-Cammell bodied Daimler of c.1934-5).
Thank you Lloyd, that's where i thought it was,i used to catch a bus there to go to Harborne 60s, and often go through five ways on the way to visit an aunt mid 50s, so it was probably still there then

Lovely pics of old Brum on here. Does anyone remember the man who used to do chalk drawing's on the flag stones at the end of Margaret St., in town. I can't even find Margaret St anymore. Has it been re-named?

Maggs Margaret St is still there between Edmund St and Gt Charles St behind the Art Gallery the man used to work in the passage that ran up to Colmore Row i remember him well. Dek

Thank you Dek. I think I was getting muddled up. The man who did the chalk drawing's was at the bottom of Eden Place not Margaret Street. I was a child when we used to walk through Eden Place. Will go and have a look at Margaret St next time I'm in Brum. Glad you also remember the man who did the drawing's too.

Back