• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Took this a few months ago.

Tip. Just to the right of that lone man there is a small door,which leads to the otherside of the Art Gallery. If you go in there you will see a lift, take the lift to the 2nd floor and that is where you will find the Staffordshire Hoard. That's if anyone is interested, It saves a long walk and a lot of stairs.

Terry

Where is this John? I don't recognise it? I like it though. Is it Margaret St., as it is now?

Maggs thats the top end of Edmund St just before you get to the fountain. See the ramp in the middle going down that,s the Councilors free underground car park while we mortals pay £8 a day. Bitter? Who me.Dek

Thank you John, it's a smashing pic. I will definitely be going to have a look at that next time I'm in Brum.

Don't be too bitter Dek, in Cambridge to park all day is about £25.

Just 3 more , black and white unfortunatly
ragga ......

Attachments

• City Broad St Civic Centre (2).JPG
    City Broad St Civic Centre (2).JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 15
  • City Broad St - Bridge St.jpg
    City Broad St - Bridge St.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 13
  • City Broad St BMD Registry Office.jpg
    City Broad St BMD Registry Office.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
In Picture #2 of Ragga's...can someone tell me where the old Register Office was please? Was it further on down Edmund Street and is the building still standing?

Im unsure about that one Charlie , I am a 1954 baby and i have always known it being in Broad St
maybe some of the old`un on here could tell you .
ragga .......

I remember it being in Edmund Street Jayell, I went to a wedding there in the early sixties...but I'm blowed if I can remember which part of Edmund Street it was. There are a lot of buildings still standing along there that could be the one. My wedding was at the one in Broad Street..now defunct itself!

Just had a nostalgic trawl through the whole of this thread and fair to say one or two recent postings have appeared before but many haven't so keep em coming everyone. We are well on our way to 100 pages! Sadly a few pics went missing around pages 70-80 during the format change but the majority survive and those that didn't may well turn up again in future postings. Here are a couple of fine 1930's views of Stephensons Place and Paradise Street that I can safely say have not been included so far.

Attachments

• City Birmingham Paradise Circus.jpg
    City Birmingham Paradise Circus.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Stephenson Place.jpg
    Stephenson Place.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 13
Good images motorman , ive not seen them before ,
better when you click and blow them up , thanks .
ragga .........

With over 77,000 views, this is one of the most popular threads on the Forum. It's a lovely place to while away an hour or two, with many a pleasant surprise. Thanks everyone.

Some of the older pictures of Aston Cross show the shop to the right of it with the name Hales - does anyone know is this the name of the owner or an advertisement. Thanks

What a good quality of life the 1930's offered for many until the dark days of World War II. Here is a busy scene in 1930's Brum . A piano front Corporation bus turns out of Victoria Square down New Street. Plenty of cars to look at as well. People everywhere, I'd love to have been there then.

Attachments

• new st.JPG
    new st.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 15
I am not sure that the 1930's offered most working class people a good quality of life most were glad to have a low paid job, majority would have welcomed any job, the depression caused untold misery, but not for everybody, my dad was a copper and was sent to the lockouts in Tonypandy where the kids did't even have shoes let alone food. No I was commenting on the disapline among ordinary people, respect for law and order, and a hard work ethic to projuce the best they could, this culture are only to ready with, sorry can't help, where professionalism is almost neglected and I sometimes Feel anything slipshod will do, and incompetence seems to be a requirment for most jobs no matter what industry or how ever high a position.

I was thinking more in terms of reliable bus, tram and train services. Efficient telephone, telegram and postal services. Good service and variety of goods in shops. Home produced food and manufactured goods. Great picture palace cinemas and ballrooms. A greater degree of neighbourlyness and respect for the law and fellow beings. Good basic and advanced education. More pride in our country. Most of these reached most of the population in one way or another. Obviously all was not perfect and there was a great divide between rich and poor but I feel overall for all of todays "improvements" Britain appeared to be a better place then than now with the ever present breakdown in family values and threat of lawlessness and terrorism we have to endure. This really isn't the thread for this debate though. It is for illustrating the past, good or bad as depicted through the picture postcard, in itself a declining medium due to progress.

Last edited:
Still with the 1930's and it's New Street again on a fine Summer day and around the corner in Corporation Street the Midland Red buses outnumber the Corporation for a change.

Attachments

• City Corporation St 1957 .jpg
    City Corporation St 1957 .jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 17
  • City New St c1930.JPG
    City New St c1930.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 17
Wow Motorman mike , your pics remind me of gunshot days of gangsters
and prohibition / the untouthables and Eliiot ness .
I wish i lived in Birmingham then .
ragga ............

realy great photos Mike, could you also include some on "City Centre Photos" to be also enjoyed on that thread.

Regards Bob

I dont know if this has been posted before, but its too good not to share. Max

Attachments

• City Navigation St Taxidermist Shop bhf.JPG
    City Navigation St Taxidermist Shop bhf.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 18
A wonderful old post card to be sure. I notice the street sign which says Navigation Street. Presumably that is the Navigation Street that is (or was?) near New Street railway station.

Crikey is that a stuffed baby camel on the doorstep?!! I know times have changed, but I can't imagine how anyone could have willingly gone into this shop! As for the smell ...... well unimaginable......... Viv.

Back