• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

• Thread starter Thread starter Stitcher
  • Start date Start date
Hello David, it is/was on the corner of Yardley Road and The Avenue in Acocks Green.
Quite close to the railway bridge.

The Huntsman.jpg
The Huntsman in Harborne was severely damaged by fire quite a long time ago and it has been in a sad state ever since. Today as we passed it on the way home I noticed that although the fencing that has been around the remains since the fire is still there, I saw through the gateway that the building has gone completely and a machine was being used to level the ground.

Thanks for the update Stitcher. That's a pity, although it was expected I suppose. Didn't look like there was too much left of it after the fire. Viv.

The Great Western Yardley road has reopened, The outside has been spruced up a bit, not sure about the inside though.

birmingham_b12_emilyarms2.jpg

The Emily Arms was situated on Emily Street (corner of Emily St and Dymoke St). The original Victorian pub was demolished and replaced with a new pub of the same name. Later known as The Hideout, it is now in use as an Islamic centre.

Barr Beacon just one extra snippet of information, the replacement Emily Arms was built on the corner diagonally opposite the original and never seemed to capture the atmosphere of the old pub, hence the name change and the eventual closure.

Here are a few TAVERN oldies from the 1700s , and if you like I can spill what bit is recorded about some of them.....or are they too old to bother? Of course if anyone else has anything, especially any drawings or old prints of any them, it would be interesting....?

Bull Ring Map 1730s Pubs marked.jpg Bull Ring Map 1730s Pubs marked.jpg

Reindeer Pub Edgbaston Street.jpg For instance.......A. The Reindeer, Edgbaston Street....two pics.....

Attachments

• Coach and Wagon and Horses Reindeer.Edgbaston St.jpg
    Coach and Wagon and Horses Reindeer.Edgbaston St.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 31
Thanks so much for that Phil. In the photograph I found of The Hideout, the observer is looking 'up hill' where as the view of The Emily Arms is looking 'down hill'. The photograph explains this much better...

b12_emilyarms3.jpg

birmingham_b12_emilyarms.jpg

I had posted a photo of the Birmingham Arms, Bradford Street, in the thread quoted below and it probably deserves a place in this thread. Moat Row on the right, Sherlock Street East on the left.
The Birmingham Arms in Bradford Street date 1968
index.php

linked forum pic only visible if logged in

Last edited:
Fox & Goose..jpeg

I was going to post a postcard with exactly the some picture as this but it is in a sorry state so I posted this one instead.

Looks like a gate on hinges to me opening onto the road. So as Pedro suggests, possibly something connected to a toll gate. Great photo. Lovely rural scene.

Viv.

Back