• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pubs Of The Past

• Thread starter Thread starter Stitcher
  • Start date Start date
What's 'M P' to the left of the F&G pub on Pedro's map ? Does it give us any clues in relation to the gate ? Viv.

7033CAE5-B987-4F88-9EF4-327869719F12.jpeg

The MP would be Mile Post, and the BP probably Boundry Post. I think at one time the Birmingham boundary ended by the Fox and Goose.

I thought the tollgates might have been marked on the 1845 tithe map, but they do not seem to be (note map has been rotated 90 degrees)
tithe map 1845 showing fox & goose,.jpg

An interesting history from Bill Dargue. However, we are none the wiser about the object opposite the main frontage of the Fox and Goose. There appears to be a fence in the hedgerow, which might suggest that the timbers were not gate posts. The boundary post can be eliminated it seems as it is not located opposite the pub.
The distance to Castle Bromwich is not mentioned, other than Castle Bromwich being on the turnpike to Birmingham. I still get the feeling that this could be an old pump. Given the busy nature Bill describes and the ancient Yardley to Erdington road it would have been an ideal place for watering animals, cleaning off muddy boots and probably a hundred other uses. :D
It would be nice to get a solution to this before we all lapse into post prandial lethargy at the week-end. ;)

457874FE-5DDF-4AC2-8DF4-ABD45BD87AC2.jpeg
Map 1889

“Two turnpike roads met at Castle Bromwich. The road from London to Chester and the road from Birmingham to Coleshill. There was a tollgate at the junction of Coleshill road, School Lane and Old Croft Lane near village Green.”

Last edited:
The symbol like a long S is to link two plots of land together that have the same reference number usually across a footpath or road

Those bunch of youngsters look rough necks. The one in the peaky blinders cap is looking at the photographer thinking, nice camera, I'm having that.

Also his younger mate standing by his side, who looks up to him is saying, yeah and I'm right behind you. Meanwhile over on the far left another youngster is shouting abuse at the photographer.
Perhaps I'm doing a disservice to the youngsters of these times and I'm superimposing what would in fact happen today.

I thought they looked a reasonable group of school kids all with socks pulled up, all but one wearing ties, and all wearing caps, they just wanted to be in a street photo .... :D

Socks! oM, I can still remember that lovely feeling of putting clean knee socks on. I think I used to wear my brother's and they were grey and woolly. Funny how some things stick with you isn't it?

I thought they looked a reasonable group of school kids all with socks pulled up, all but one wearing ties, and all wearing caps, they just wanted to be in a street photo .... :D
My assumption as well oldMohawk. They all look well turned out for what I imagine to be around late 40s early 50s?

The boys are wearing pre WWII type outfits, long shorts, long socks and flat caps, after the war, the caps, when worn all became the school cap type. There is a certain arrogance to the one working out how he'll fence the camera and why on earth is the one by the tree practicing bird calls? Are those two girls in the middle?, of course nowadays, they would all have to be pixilated.
Bob

My assumption as well oldMohawk. They all look well turned out for what I imagine to be around late 40s early 50s?
Hi Jimbo, it is difficult to date the pic but it looks late 1930s to me. I've enhanced the part of the pic where the girls are and the one on the left is wearing a short cape which probably was not part of a school uniform and they might be women. Maybe their skirts look a bit short for the 1930s
oldmohawk :)
Girls.jpg

I think they're girls OM as I doubt older women would be seen in public with arms around each other. Yes OM I too think the image is late 1930s. I also wondered if it was a Sunday School group of children. Viv.

Hi Jimbo, it is difficult to date the pic but it looks late 1930s to me. I've enhanced the part of the pic where the girls are and the one on the left is wearing a short cape which probably was not part of a school uniform and they might be women. Maybe their skirts look a bit short for the 1930s
View attachment 123235
When was the Pelham built? In actual fact these girls outfits look very late 1920s, early 30s, although the two men appear to be dressed for a later date, but perhaps they were dressed liked this from the late 20s

Bob

Last edited:
This photo, of The White Horse is gleaned fro the Congreve Street thread.

index.php

There was, I believe a place known as Johnsons Head Inn, but I have no other details.

View attachment 123235
oldMohawk, the age of the picture doesn't really matter, it's a great picture of another long lost pub. How different the pubs of today look compered to these proper brick built drinking houses.

View attachment 120396
The Huntsman in Harborne was severely damaged by fire quite a long time ago and it has been in a sad state ever since. Today as we passed it on the way home I noticed that although the fencing that has been around the remains since the fire is still there, I saw through the gateway that the building has gone completely and a machine was being used to level the ground.
It has now been demolished.

Back