• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prefabs

Went by this morning and it was quite quiet. Spotted some builders on a tea break so parked and went and spoke to them.
The aim is to finish by end of October or early November. Some, to be occupied by ordinary people (if I can put it like that) are already finished - not sure if that is rent or sale (I would think rent).
The one to be opened as a museum isn't ready yet - that will be more true to the original fitments - ie a bath not a shower (I gather the others now have showers fitted}. All will be fully insulated and meet modern safety standards, All front gardens are grassed.
He let me peep through the windows of a finished one - might pop back on Sunday and see if I can sneak a look in the other windows and at the back.
Anyway pics - interior views taken through glass with as little reflection as I could get. The bedroom is the front right window as you look at the prefab. The window seen through the door is the kitchen window through which I took the kitchen pictures.
Thanks for the update.
Went by this morning and it was quite quiet. Spotted some builders on a tea break so parked and went and spoke to them.
The aim is to finish by end of October or early November. Some, to be occupied by ordinary people (if I can put it like that) are already finished - not sure if that is rent or sale (I would think rent).
The one to be opened as a museum isn't ready yet - that will be more true to the original fitments - ie a bath not a shower (I gather the others now have showers fitted}. All will be fully insulated and meet modern safety standards, All front gardens are grassed.
He let me peep through the windows of a finished one - might pop back on Sunday and see if I can sneak a look in the other windows and at the back.
Anyway pics - interior views taken through glass with as little reflection as I could get. The bedroom is the front right window as you look at the prefab. The window seen through the door is the kitchen window through which I took the kitchen pictures.
Coming along well . Thanks for the constant updates will visit myself when finished.

Thanks for the update.
Coming along well . Thanks for the constant updates will visit myself when finished.
This project is an interesting example of how to bring a group of historic buildings back to their original use. We have lots of examples of refurbishment of old buildings into other uses, but for obvious reasons, not back to their original purpose. In this case, it looks very much like a 'keep it simple' approach, while bringing the houses up to modern required standards. Hopefully, the new residents enjoy the prefabs as much as other occupants before them.

Thanks for keeping us updated Janice, and maybe you'll get a nice cuppa on your next visit!
They were ahead of their time when they were first built a must see when they are finished.

Back