• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prefabs

Hi Lyn, sorry to go off topic, but is that a photo of your Dad and Mom, ?? over your name,? I think it's a beautifully composed one, and so full of happiness, I have a similar, one, of my parents with them both in uniform, from about the same date which I treasure!!

Hi Lyn, sorry to go off topic, but is that a photo of your Dad and Mom, ?? over your name,? I think it's a beautifully composed one, and so full of happiness, I have a similar, one, of my parents with them both in uniform, from about the same date which I treasure!!
hi paul no problems....yes you guessed it my avatar is our mom and dad they met aged 14...that photo is taken in 1947 when they were both just 18 when dad was home on leave from national service and is my favourite photo of them and i have it framed in my living room...i know they are my mom and dad but i think they were such a good looking couple...dad tried as a lot did back then to add some colour to moms dress and lips...they married when they were both 24..miss them dearly

lyn

Last edited:
hi paul no problems....yes you guessed it my avatar is our mom and dad they met aged 14...that photo is taken in 1947 when they were both just 18 when dad was home on leave from national service and is my favourite photo of them and i have it framed in my living room...i know they are my mom and dad but i think they were such a good looking couple...dad tried as a lot did back then to add some colour to moms dress and lips...they married when they were both 24..miss them dearly

lyn
Great story! The fact that they waited until they were 24 was unusual for those days.

Took these pics last week but only just downloaded them.
Exterior work (can't say about interior) seems to be finished on some of the prefabs. The large metal containers are now outside the last couple. Most have now been tidied. All seem to have this same wooden fence including some of the inhabited ones - but not all.
prefabs 12 May 1.jpgprefabs 12 May 2.jpg

Exterior work (can't say about interior) seems to be finished on some of the prefabs. The large metal containers are now outside the last couple. Most have now been tidied. All seem to have this same wooden fence including some of the inhabited ones - but not all.
View attachment 191644View attachment 191645
wow jan they are really looking good..thanks for the update

lyn

View attachment 191644View attachment 191645
Looking good thanks for the update.

From my recollections, "prefabs", were always seen as "Posh", council housing, and as kids we all wanted to live in one, funny for a conceived, idea of short life housing !!!
The prefabs had a lot going for them A detached house with a garden all round. Fitted kicthen, fridge with running hot water. Inside toilet and nice bath room. The bedrooms were heated by a warm air system too.

Drove by this morning and the last of the large metal containers have gone. There are just a few skips fullof rubbish. So looks if the outside is nearly completed. Not sure what is left to do inside.
If I can park in the week I will see if I can ask someone but difficult.
Prefabs May 26th (2).jpg
Prefabs 26 May (1).jpg

Drove by this morning and the last of the large metal containers have gone. There are just a few skips fullof rubbish. So looks if the outside is nearly completed. Not sure what is left to do inside.
If I can park in the week I will see if I can ask someone but difficult.
View attachment 191874
View attachment 191873
Be interesting to see the finished article . Thanks again for the update.

Back