• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Our parents over the years.

Wendy that is a good question. His nick name was Piddy and don't ask me why. Our previous cat was Tibby too a massive tabby. Have a photo with him somewhere. Two photo's of my mom in her later years in Gozo. She never forgot how to enjoy herself. Jean.

Wendy,Jean Tibby its a Form of Greek name meaning Gazelle that figures:)

I can't pin it down on Google or anywhere else I've tried

Got a another one My Dad last but one on the Right in the Yard of 5 Ashford Street where he was born. Gran his Mom is the Grey haired lady in the centre of the back window.

View attachment 31039

Last edited:
what great photos ,great to see all the fashions too ,and also the backgrounds aswell, the backgrounds are great as the buildings etc remind me of houses were we lived in brum ,

Jean Ashford Street is off Bracebridge Street which is off Newtown Row

Thank you Harley happy times:)

This is my father Roland Walter Bott b. October 1916 d. August 1940

In the first photo I would think he was less than ayear old. In the second one he was about 21/22.

I never knew him as he died 2 months before I was born.

He looks as though he would have been a very nice Father don't you think?

The other photo is of my Mother aged about 26, 3 years after my father died

I never knew him as he died 2 months before I was born.

He looks as though he would have been a very nice Father don't you think?
Rowan he had a kind face and your Mom was very pretty. I think he would have been a smashing Dad. I am sorry you never knew him. I lost my Dad at 15 and that was awful!!

Those are lovely photos Rowan, of both your Mom & your Dad. He looked a lovely 'babby'.........bet he would've made a brill Daddy too.:)

Lovely to see these precious photos Rowan. Your Dad and Mom were
great looking people. Sorry that your Dad didn't have the pleasure of being your loving Father.

I see my Father in my children, they all have his eyes. I am sad that I don't know anything about him at all except his birth and death . I don't know the colour of his hair or eyes, what he liked or didn't like (I do know he was a Villa fan ;)).
My Mother, right up 'til her death, would not talk about him :(

As some of you know I was placed into an orphanage and was never close to my Mother even tho' she had me and my brother "home" when I was 11.

She never allowed us to have contact with my Father's side of the family and sadly, by the time I found my Grandfather he only lived for a very short time after contact, not long enough for me to see him.

I'm sure my Father would be very proud of his 2 grandaughters & 5 grandsons and 4 great-grandsons and 1 great- grandaughter..........all lovely descendants of his.... via his son and daughter. Angels everyone of them:angel: :beam:

Thank you for your lovely comments :)

Rowan thank you for sharing your lovely photo's of your parents with us. It was the opposite with myself as I would not talk about my dad after he died and mom wanted to. I regret it now. Jean.

Back